PDA

View Full Version : Aesthetic suggestion @ 1C: nose art + fuselage coding on early P-47's and P-51's.

mandrill7
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
The early P-47's are coded for tail numbers only. (This probably stems from the use of a New Guinea default skin for the D-10 type. Some New Guinea jugs had tail numbering and no fuselage letter codes.) However, by far the greatest # of early jugs served in Europe and used RAF style fuselage letter codes. Is is possible for early Jugs be remodelled slightly to have capability for both fuselage and tail codes??

Also could we have nose art capability for early Jugs and Stangs? Only late silverskin models are coded to wear nose art in the game.

And the P-51B: Could we have white fuselage codes instead of the creepy black currently installed? Again, most early stangs served in the ETO and used RAF style fuselage codes.

Not high priority, I guess. But the planes would sure look nice.

mandrill7
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
The early P-47's are coded for tail numbers only. (This probably stems from the use of a New Guinea default skin for the D-10 type. Some New Guinea jugs had tail numbering and no fuselage letter codes.) However, by far the greatest # of early jugs served in Europe and used RAF style fuselage letter codes. Is is possible for early Jugs be remodelled slightly to have capability for both fuselage and tail codes??

Also could we have nose art capability for early Jugs and Stangs? Only late silverskin models are coded to wear nose art in the game.

And the P-51B: Could we have white fuselage codes instead of the creepy black currently installed? Again, most early stangs served in the ETO and used RAF style fuselage codes.

Not high priority, I guess. But the planes would sure look nice.

tomtheyak
03-12-2006, 02:46 PM
This should be entirely possible - pacific fighter squadrons and late 15th AF fighters could still have the number IDs and individual ETO units each be given their correct respective codes for the P-47 and P-51D models.

Also why do the P-51Bs have their aircraft letter aligned higher on the fus than the squadron codes? Seems odd especially when you consider that the P-51C has them correctly aligned!

LStarosta
03-12-2006, 04:17 PM
The world may never know...

Chuck_Older
03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
unpopular opinion alert

I think our noseart is stupid in execution and appearance. Get a skin with the noseart you want. I'm a bit of a purist, too, and the noseart options we have from official sources...not very realistic. Of course real noseart would get them a lawsuit in a lot of instances

But as a purist, it still makes me wonder why the P-51 in paticular has marking problems. Only the D models have incorrect code for ETO...but the D model has a different default skin for the PTO

Why the omission? I have started several threads here about it, stretching over the last two years

TX-Zen
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
If I'm not mistaken, selecing USAF markings in the arming screen still doesn't put the stars on the P51 and P47. I remember something about the way the default skin is coded being the reason, but I don't recall the details now.

Another small concern for me is the lack of regiment files on the late 190's. It may be historically correct, but it sure is annoying. Since most servers don't use skin download, there is really no way to personalize your aircraft online. It's not a crucial issue for me, but it would be a nice feature.

Why not have the option to use noseart and regiment markings on all aircraft and be done with the game imposed historical limitations, or at least make historical markings vs non historical an option in the arming screen? It would add to the enjoyment of the game, at least for me.

Just wishing outloud here.

PlaneEater
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
unpopular opinion alert

I think our noseart is stupid in execution and appearance. Get a skin with the noseart you want. I'm a bit of a purist, too, and the noseart options we have from official sources...not very realistic. Of course real noseart would get them a lawsuit in a lot of instances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be more than happy to draw up a whole slew of decidedly less conservative selections for an unofficial add-on. No shortage of references in my collection...

Chuck_Older
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif That's not the point. The point is, why is putting the noseart on a skin such a problem? I don't get the whole noseart thing at all. The exact same utility they put into the sim for noseart could have been used for kill markings the player adds

The noseart option we have is to put a very pasted-on pic on a plane...fine...but it looks awful because it's pasted on. Panel lines get obliterated, etc. Folks love it I guess but I think it's stupid...why spend the time and effort making nice noseart only to have to applied to the plane in such an unattractive way? Why not just put it on a skin?

I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying I don't understand the attraction to it

PlaneEater
03-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Because lots of people don't have three different versions of Photoshop and a Wacom tablet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately, the system they coded into the sim doesn't actually just slap a decal on the plane--an extra marking panel (like those used for the country markings) has to be added to each model, and then the noseart texture is applied to that. They can't just slap a decal anywhere they want to on the plane.

I distinctly remember reading a while back that Oleg had location-of-hit damage graphics implemented at one point, but pulled it because of the performance hit. THAT would have required the kind of code you're thinking of. I wish he'd try that again, since we've got a little more performance to play with now.

Chuck_Older
03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I learn something new every day http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I wonder if a variation of that damage location graphic will be in SoW:BoB? Didn't I read something about more detailed damage calculation?

mandrill7
03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I have to agree with Chuck re the poor quality of nose art. The stock nose art is pretty useless.

The user made stuff is unfortunately "too good". The perfectly drawn and elaborately shaded Vargas-style girlies - although attractive - are unrealistic. They are far better pieces of art than the real WW2 nose art which was crude and often cartoonish.

There seems to be no happy medium available to the consumer.