PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get Track IR to not "stick" to the edges of the cockpit?

Ba5tard5word
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I'll try and explain this...it's really annoying me. When I look back to the rear of my cockpit as far as the TIR will move the camera, the camera seems to "stick" to that furthest viewpoint, and requires more movement than it really should to make it move back away from that point. It drives me nuts and makes my neck and eyes feel really uncomfortable for some reason.

I think I'm using the One:One profile with I think filtering set at max and speed set up a bit from default. Overall I like this setting but this stickiness thing is annoying. Also I don't like how the view seems to slow down and feel "sticky" when I'm facing foward at the front of my cockpit, it feels flickery in a weird way, like the frame rate was slower, but if I look to the sides out the window I don't get this. Maybe there's a dead zone in the front but I don't know how to change it.

I'll post the settings profile I'm using later tonight if anyone wants to take a look at it and maybe edit it.

Ba5tard5word
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I'll try and explain this...it's really annoying me. When I look back to the rear of my cockpit as far as the TIR will move the camera, the camera seems to "stick" to that furthest viewpoint, and requires more movement than it really should to make it move back away from that point. It drives me nuts and makes my neck and eyes feel really uncomfortable for some reason.

I think I'm using the One:One profile with I think filtering set at max and speed set up a bit from default. Overall I like this setting but this stickiness thing is annoying. Also I don't like how the view seems to slow down and feel "sticky" when I'm facing foward at the front of my cockpit, it feels flickery in a weird way, like the frame rate was slower, but if I look to the sides out the window I don't get this. Maybe there's a dead zone in the front but I don't know how to change it.

I'll post the settings profile I'm using later tonight if anyone wants to take a look at it and maybe edit it.

richardgadd
01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Cant answer your question...but sounds like too much dead zone in front, and for edges... either tracking isnt centered (check tracking before starting) or you may have an IR light source interfering with camera view, check everything behind you and in room. I had a mirror behind me reflecting an incandecent light that gave me problems till I figured it out.

You using the tracjir pro clip, or the reflectors?

Might get better help at the NatuuralPoint forum.

Ba5tard5word
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
It seems to be an Il-2 issue though, when using the TIR software it doesn't get hung up once I move the camera view past a certain point, it just does that in Il-2.

And I'm using the hat clip. And I don't mean that the camera acts like the hat clip is out of range, it sticks to the very furthest view towards the back of the cockpit or when I look straight up. I don't mind that I can't move the camera past a certain point, I just don't like that it sticks at that point when I want to go back in the other direction. It's most annoying when I want to move the camera quickly, like if there's an enemy behind me and I keep looking left and right and it keeps freaking sticking! It doesn't feel smooth at all.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
The center thing is definitely a deadzone, personally I like it that way as it makes it easier to line up shots when looking down the gunsite. The other matter, I think it's still a tracking issue, it took me some time to find just the right placement of the trackIR camera because I didn't realize at first that I sat in a different position with different posture once I got flying and in a fight so my problem didn't show when I was sitting up straight fiddling with the trackIR screen. In addition to paying extra attention to camera position, you may want to tweak the profile so it reaches the end of your view before your head is turned quite so far and this may eliminate the sticking.

Ba5tard5word
01-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah I tweaked the yaw some last night so it feels looser, the camera stops just before the "sticky part" unless I move my head really far back, so it feels more natural though I still wish I could just eliminate the sticky thing entirely...and this is happening to you guys too right?

Also now it doesn't have as much of a dead zone in the center so it seems to track smoother, but the camera still seems to move with a lower fps when facing forward than when looking to the sides out the window.

How would I totally get rid of the dead zone in the middle? Is it the gray circle thing in the middle? I still really don't understand the damn software and I should read a manual though I'll probably just get more confused.

I still can't get used to 6DOF though and I don't like how the camera sticks at certain points when moving my head foward and back. Oh well, non 6DOF is fine with me.

julian265
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Really sounds like something isn't set up right, rather than being an issue of Il2 or TIR.

thefruitbat
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
sounds to me like your moving your head out of the tracking zone.

in the software, somewhere there is a tracking screen, this is what it looks like in the older software,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/ScreenHunter_01Jan262350.jpg

if you track ir unit is to close, or to low, then you will get sticking. You can use this screen along with the heads to check you have the full range of movement.

My unit is slightly above my eyeline, and about 3 foot away.

Ba5tard5word
01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
No, as I said it's not because my head is out of range of the Track IR receiver, it's just bumping up against the furthest Il-2 will let you move the camera back.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I think there is a profile setup guide for TrackIR on M4T somewhere. You really do need to get a handle on how to edit profiles or you will continue to have issues.

Ba5tard5word
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Eh, like I said I have it edited in a way that feels a lot smoother and looser and more comfortable, I was just hoping this was a common issue with an easy fix but I guess not.

MikkOwl
01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Read the damned manual. Really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I mean come on, you paid this much money and you haven't bothered reading the instructions? It's not like they assume you to be a computer wizard to understand it.

The interface is basic. Select an axis you want to mess with. Look at the courves. Zoom in with your mouse by dragging a box over an area. Then use mouse wheel to zoom in and out. You'll notice it has actual measurements there. And when you move your head, it moves an indicator along these.

It shows you your actual real world movement, and you can change the courves to change if the in-game head should move the same as your head or not. Sensitivity is a multiplier. The courves show one line for how much your real head is moving, another for how much it's affected by the general sensitivity slider on top (which multiplies all settings equally). If there's a courve instead of completely flat, that means that once your head reaches that position (move to find out) the in game head will accellerate it's movement compared to your real head. And vice versa, if the line drops to the bottom in the middle, that means that when your head is facing nearly forward as well, the in game head will move less than your real head (not at all, even).

There's something called 'true view' which is great to have enabled. Makes it take your facing into account when you move sideways, so looking over right shoulder in game, and then want to lean out to see behind you, you can lean your head to the left, which feels logical. Without trueview, leaning left when looking back would make you lean 'left, but as if your head was facing forward in the plane - i.e. your screen would move to the right instead, which is confusing.

There's options to limit the view to 180 degrees for the pitch and yaw, I recommend using that.

Your tracking problems, getting stuck, are possibly because you move your head 'past' the maximum allowed head turn in IL-2, so you'll need to get back into this 'allowed' range before the head will move on screen.

Another strong possibility is tracking problems. Although you think it is 'fine' when you try it in the TiR software, that software is mostly a nearly black display with some gray controls on the left. The monitor is like a big light source, and that's not much light. In game, you can have bright skies, clouds and other things, and this really makes the monitor bright and shiny, can can cause other objects to be picked up on the TiR camera, or confusing it. This can explain why it's different in-game and in the setup program.

General settings, I recommend following this procedure:

Turn your head as far as you can while still being able to see the screen. Adjust the in game yaw sensitivity (keep it flat, no courves) until this corresponds to 180 degrees backward view.

Then, relax the twist a bit, because that's really a too strained posture and bad for the eyes. Maybe by 25% or 33%. Re-adjust the yaw sensitivity so that this is 180 degrees turn.

Apply the same sensitivity (and make sure it's flat, no courves) to the pitch setting.

Put smoothing to 38% - this allows fast response but completely dampens any unintentional head movements, allowing very fast tracking of the head without any draining twitchy behaviour.

Then put your X Y Z to whatever you want. Roll should be set to about twice that of what your actual head is tilting 2.0.