PDA

View Full Version : Ship to Ship Battles in PF

Ijnpilot
02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I finally noticed today after playing for awhile that ships actually seem to engage each other in battle (I thought they just arbitrarily fire rather than aim). They seem to miss on purpose (like repeated shots 50 yards off). Has anyone seen a ship sink another ship without intervention from a torpedo or a dive bomber?

Ijnpilot
02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I finally noticed today after playing for awhile that ships actually seem to engage each other in battle (I thought they just arbitrarily fire rather than aim). They seem to miss on purpose (like repeated shots 50 yards off). Has anyone seen a ship sink another ship without intervention from a torpedo or a dive bomber?

pauldun171
02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
yes

Catandra
02-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Absolutely! You can set up naval engagements and watch them duke it out from many different perspectives. The ships will steam in the paths that you set for them (in the FMB) and they will do their best to sink the opposing fleet.
http://tongass.50g.com/shipbattle.jpg

My limited experience however, seems to be that the Americans have an almost insurmountable advantage in these duels (as opposed to what the reality was, in the first half of the war).

Lancer1347
02-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Better than that, in online play I put a carrier too close to two bases in a 3 team match, and the bloddy thing starting shelling the airfields. The ship was killing us more than its airwing.

We had to team up and take it out before it ruined the rest of the game... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ijnpilot
02-11-2005, 12:35 AM
I really need to start messing around with FMB! Thanks for the input and inspiration. It's a shame about the lack of naval variety though, but I'll make do with the Royal Navy vessels. Seeing the ships from the air firing their guns while taking in part in dog fights or dive bombing is the real standout in PF versus basically every other sim out on the market. I hope one day it can be put to good use.

Latico
02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Not only will they engage each other, you can set a mission up so that ships provide off shore bombardment against land based targets.

WOLFMondo
02-11-2005, 03:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ijnpilot:
Has anyone seen a ship sink another ship without intervention from a torpedo or a dive bomber? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I made a map with lots of ships in it.

The weird thing was I put HMS PoW against 2 Japanese destroyers, about 10 km apart and the Destroyers won! The PoW never put a hit on them despite being a vastly superior battleship that should have been almost immune from the Destroyers guns at that range.

Hoatee
02-11-2005, 04:46 AM
The only thing the ships can't do is take evasive action - WarBirds III also has some naval action and although it seems dated compared to this sim, at least the ships were able to attempt evasive action on their own.

Just a very minor 'gripe' - I'm otherwise perfectly happy with it.

Ijnpilot
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Maybe one day Oleg and crew can make a merged naval sim with PF..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Hoatee
02-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Well,

I was thinking about SHIII. What's next after that? Logically (going by the second version) there should be a Destroyer Command version 3.

Take that idea a bit further. A whole lot of different games but still linked and playable against each other.