PDA

View Full Version : Determing if a Convergeance setting is working

Afromike1
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
right now my convergeance is set to 200 but when I get confirmed hits I dont get the critical hits like broken wings, engine on fire, and explosions like when I had my convergeance set to 150.

Is there such thing as a `sweet spot` when it comes to convergeance to get critical hits?

Do you think that a hit on a plane is just like any other hit and I just got lucky?

Afromike1
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
right now my convergeance is set to 200 but when I get confirmed hits I dont get the critical hits like broken wings, engine on fire, and explosions like when I had my convergeance set to 150.

Is there such thing as a `sweet spot` when it comes to convergeance to get critical hits?

Do you think that a hit on a plane is just like any other hit and I just got lucky?

X32Wright
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Convergeance setting depends on the guns and planes that you fly also depends on your personal preference.

50 cals needs short convergeance (274 meters max according to USAAF) while German guns can have up to 500 meters as well as some of the Russian guns.

What you want is to concentrate as much as you can both the machine guns and cannon hits into a central area accounting for trajectory and gravity factors that drops the bullets.

WTE_Galway
09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
12 metres

be sure

Boosher
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
For wing mounted .50 cal Brownings I usually set my convergence at 225 meters. On average this is a good setting for me. It allows me a decent distance between the plane and a ground target while still keeping me somewhat close to enemy planes. The setting also gives me some leeway in my lead.

With nose guns I find I do best shooting with my convergence set at 121 meters. When armed with nose guns I get very close, and as I usually tend to aim low, the extra 20 meters in convergence seems to help me stay on target.

Convergence is largely a personal thing. You'll have to play around and find a setting that works well for you. It can be very tedious, but it's rewarding when it works right.

Afromike1
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Im saying this in the perspective of being in a bf109.

But do u guys agree with me that a hit seems to do more damage on certain convergences than a hit with a convergence that is something else?

For me the 150 seems to do A LOT more critical hits than when I set it to 200.

Afromike1
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I also have another question.

If you set your convergence to 300 and your target is say... 150 meters away. Does the hit go through the plane at a faster and more powerful speed because your guns are trying to have your bullets start to fall down at a farther distance?

Because if you set your convergence to the same distance as the enemy. The bullets will start to drop JUST as it reaches the enemy and that seems to me like a loss of energy thus giving it a less of a punch.

WTE_Galway
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:

But do u guys agree with me that a hit seems to do more damage on certain convergences than a hit with a convergence that is something else?

For me the 150 seems to do A LOT more critical hits than when I set it to 200. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do more damage if you hit at shorter range, especially with mg where KE is significant.

Also you may actually just be hitting better at 150m. Remember that historically early war 109 pilots held fire until they were within 50 m.

X32Wright
09-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Since this is in the context of the 109. My convergeance for the 109 is at 500 meters for Mg and cannons. That works well for me even for Mk-108 and specially works best for the Mg-151/20. The 109 is my preferred ride in the game specially the F4,G-6/AS and the G-10s.

T_O_A_D
09-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Someone paosted a real nice tuterial on this subject a few weeks back, with pictures and such.
I'm looking for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Yes/No If you appear to have more damage at 150 over 200 or the like, it just means you are shooting at a better timing to connect the target inside your convergence setting.</span>

For me the 150 seems to do A LOT more critical hits than when I set it to 200.
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Thats because your taget is closer to being 150 away when you shoot than 200</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have another question.

If you set your convergence to 300 and your target is say... 150 meters away. Does the hit go through the plane at a faster and more powerful speed because your guns are trying to have your bullets start to fall down at a farther distance?

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">No, Your guns can not control the speed, or the rate of fall. The only way to control this is with a bigger or smaller gun, Gravity does all the work here. Your gun have a powder charge and bullet weight, that can only do one thing over and over, when loaded with the same round in the belt. </span>

Because if you set your convergence to the same distance as the enemy. The bullets will start to drop JUST as it reaches the enemy and that seems to me like a loss of energy thus giving it a less of a punch.
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">This is incorrect, your miss interpeting what you see, unless your convergence is actually set to the natural drop, due to gravity. This drop again will depend on calibre of weapon.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DKoor
09-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Best results are almost as a rule scored from short convergences, I mean really short...
By best result I mean total destruction.
There are two reasons for that... first is machine guns work better much better from closer distances. Second, proper short convergence converges those bullets in one spot.

However I'm not much of a fan of those ultra short convergence distances, because on number of occasions I haven't been able to close up the gap between me and my target thus short gun conv was in vain. Furthermore most of my bullets are missing on target above 300m distance in spite of me aligning with target almost perfectly.

Therefore I've come up to conclusion that region 200-250m suits me best. I can hit up to 400m good and bullets still have hitting power at those ranges.
That is for MG equipped planes.

For cannons equipped such is FW-190 or Tempest, anything from 200-500m suits me, and I can achieve good results with it.

For weapon-in-nose equipped planes convergence plays much lesser part that in wing mounted crates.

xf86config
09-09-2008, 03:15 AM
With a couple of provisos, i dont think what your convergence is set to is as important as hitting at what your convergence is set to.

IE.
if set to 120m's, hit at 120ms.
if set to 200m's, hit at 200ms.

By doing so you concentrate your firepower no matter what your armament.

However, with 303's, 50 cals and mg in general, close convergence alows for the incenduary effect of the rounds to do extended damage to target, something i have not seen at longer ranges.

I have experimented with convergence @ 100ms ( i tried 50 ms but the game resets this to 100ms on the aircraft selection screen, if anyone knows of a workaround on this please let me know )

Sporran

M_Gunz
09-09-2008, 06:55 AM
You can get a significant number of concentrated hits at 25% off convergence. How wide that
is depends on your convergence.

How to tell convergence is with you on the 6 of a co-speed target, the shots hit where the pipper
is and not above or below. Inside converge there will be ranges where the shots are below, at,
and above the sight line. The sight line is straight while the trajectory is curved and begins
perhaps 1 meter below the sight line, something to remember when at 10-20 meters range.

Nose guns are better at close range IMO.

But convergence for co-speed shooting means shooting from his 6 or slightly off, you still have
armor and tail wheel and frame in the way.

If you fly to hit from high relative speed (from your own speed plus deflection angle) then you
have to finish fire in time to avoid ramming, that may take as long as crossing 100-200m range
would including banking away. Converge at that minimum range plus enough more to be able to get
off a good burst before you have to peel off.
If you close at ~28m/sec for every 100kph relative speed. A bullet traveling .5 seconds would
gain ~14m effective range and hit higher than aimed for if aim or range was uncorrected.
You can close at your full TAS in a 90 deg deflection or 71% of your TAS in a 45 deg deflection
like you might get in a scissors. If time of flight is short then the error will be small but
I like to avoid ramming all the same.

T_O_A_D
09-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Ok done some digging, but have yet to find what I'm really after.

But

Take a look at this
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/P-47/47GECD.gif

And this nice gem I just found, read it and look at the pics inbedded in links.
http://propfighter.com/convergence.html