PDA

View Full Version : Deck gun targets

Cpt_Walrus
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I just wondered, whats the difference in aiming for the waterline with your deckgun,and aiming for the hull?..is there a difference and if so whats is it?

Also wondered what is the little red and white "disk" @ the top of some subs that sits @ the back-end of the sub?

Cpt_Walrus
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I just wondered, whats the difference in aiming for the waterline with your deckgun,and aiming for the hull?..is there a difference and if so whats is it?

Also wondered what is the little red and white "disk" @ the top of some subs that sits @ the back-end of the sub?

plenten
06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
About hull / waterline. Aiming closer to the waterline probably sinks the ship quickier, if you punch a hole in it. Last thing (disk)... no idea. Never noticed it.

legodragonxp
06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Aiming at the waterline puts holes in the boat and they start to fill with water, listing and then sinking if you put enough holes in to a boat. It gets harder to hit the waterline after you get within 1000m since the gun doesn't depress enough (changing speed and course slightly can get your sub rocking enough to take the shot). AI waterline shots often hit the water shot of the ship.

Aiming at the hull you might punch through and hit an explisve cargo. Some boat can't take too many hits to the hull. You also target cargo on the hull with this and can destroy a ship this way as well. The AI has a better chance at hitting the hull than the waterline, but it takes more ammo usually.

I prefer waterline hits as it usually takes less ammo. However, by 1942 getting close enough to safely take those shots becomes a challenge (the merchants have guns and shoot back).

Not sure about the disk you're mentioning. I'll have tolook at it when I get home.
-Lego

Jester_159th
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Red & white disc?

Rear hatch cover on the Type II's?

Cpt_Walrus
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Jester....it does look like some hatch cover..but why would that particular cover be painted red & white you recon? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jester_159th
06-13-2005, 12:36 PM
No idea why it's coloured like that. Wondered the same thingmyself when I first saw it.

rls669
06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
You can still hit the waterline at less than 500m, just use the crosshairs instead of zooming with the optical sight.