PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be new player here (christmas is coming soon!), have some questions

Duckmeister
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I'm thinking of getting the now $10 (on steam) IL-2 1946 pack. I don't currently have a joystick (my flight simulator 98 (ftw) joystick no longer works), so I'm thinking of getting a new one.

I am asking for recommendations for a good quality, long-lasting, durable, and useful joystick for around (preferably under) $100. If there is a stick that meets these qualifications, but it is over $100, if someone could direct me to a reputable store that would sell the joystick in question for under $100.

Currently, I'm looking at the popular Saitek X52 throttle and joystick combo, priced at $100. Is this a good stick for the price? I've looked at video reviews and such, and it looks perfect for me (more buttons the merrier). Is there anything I should know before buying?

Also, is there any sticks that are way less that $100 that would be good quality?

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT:

Very important, is the steam version the EXACT SAME as the retail, 6 dvd's in box pack that I could get from the Ubi store or Amazon?

Does it have all the features and campaigns and airplanes, everything, that the retail version has?

Will I be able to use the beta patch on the steam version?

Really, is it the exact same?

Thanks again.

Duckmeister
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I'm thinking of getting the now $10 (on steam) IL-2 1946 pack. I don't currently have a joystick (my flight simulator 98 (ftw) joystick no longer works), so I'm thinking of getting a new one.

I am asking for recommendations for a good quality, long-lasting, durable, and useful joystick for around (preferably under) $100. If there is a stick that meets these qualifications, but it is over $100, if someone could direct me to a reputable store that would sell the joystick in question for under $100.

Currently, I'm looking at the popular Saitek X52 throttle and joystick combo, priced at $100. Is this a good stick for the price? I've looked at video reviews and such, and it looks perfect for me (more buttons the merrier). Is there anything I should know before buying?

Also, is there any sticks that are way less that $100 that would be good quality?

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT:

Very important, is the steam version the EXACT SAME as the retail, 6 dvd's in box pack that I could get from the Ubi store or Amazon?

Does it have all the features and campaigns and airplanes, everything, that the retail version has?

Will I be able to use the beta patch on the steam version?

Really, is it the exact same?

Thanks again.

HayateAce
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Forget the steam and spend a few more bucks to have a DVD. You WILL reload this game at some time or another.

The saitek is fine, they break often but in the past the manufacturer has been forthcoming on replacing defective units. I've sent back and had replaced 4 units of the older x45. I have no comparison to show you of the x45 vs x52 in regards to reliability.

Have fun.

VF-17_Jolly
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310CCHXY3CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Buy this $100 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_a) then save up for the throttle and rudder pedals

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WN5EsrXjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Throttle quadrant (http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Three-Throttle-Quadrant-PZ45/dp/B000TCEU4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224872075&sr=1-1)

These are handy as you can have prop pitch and mixture and six buttons

somebody may be able to show you a cheaper site for the Fighter stick but buy it you will not regret it

Duckmeister
10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I understand the advantages of having a DVD, but as long as I stay on my current steam account I can reload the game at anytime from any computer.

However, I still think having a DVD would be nicer, I only use steam for games like Counter-Strike and such, games that aren't selling for retail anymore, or were never meant to.

I've also looked at the Fighterstick, and it looks nice, but I can get the X52 which has more functionality, plus a throttle stick included (and the awesome LED screen) for $100, ($90 at amazon).

Again, is the steam version the exact same as the retail?

Thanks.

msalama
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
To my knowledge yes. That said, go with the DVD version if you can still - makes reinstallations etc. much easier.

Snodrvr
10-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I've been using the X-52 for a couple years now. I've had some small issues with the sliders being slightly inaccurate, but nothing too serious.

The X-52 is a good Gateway stick, If you really like the game you can always go for the fancier stuff like rudder pedals and all that later on.

Pyrres
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Or if you prefer FFB you might want to buy Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 from Ebay or something similar. There are some in boxed still, old but long lasting and best ever made. The only problem is that they donĀ“t make them anymore so you have to buy second hand.

Buzzsaw-
10-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Salute

If you want to save money go with a Saitek with a twist rudder. They are not too bad. Or a used Microsoft FFB2 if you can find one in good condition.

But the guys who really play this game well go with rudder pedals on the floor. Which will cost more money. If you go this route, I would suggest the CH package, Fighterstick, and pedals. The throttles are not really nessesary, in fact I find having to reach over for the throttle is less intuitive than using the little throttle wheel on the Fighterstick.

Duckmeister
10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I don't think FFB is neccessary for me, in my experience FFB is too strong or unrealistic, I'd just rather stick with a nice controller with all that I need.

As far as I've seen the X52 is a twist rudder, and I don't see the advantage of having rudder pedals (or at least buying ones). I play racing sims a lot, and I can just use car pedals if I really wanted.

I'm really liking the throttle stick on the X52 though, so far I'm thinking this is the stick for me.

I'm not really all into the "home cockpit" thing that some people are into. I can still enjoy the game with just a nice stick.

Thanks again.

P.FunkAdelic
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
For $100 the x-52 is a bargain as an entry stick. The best part of it is the throttle. The stick is good but isn't as accurate as the CH Fighterstick (so I hear). My plan is to get a Fighterstick cause you can still use the Saitek Throttle.

And using racing pedals is a good alternative with rudder pedals. Only downside you'll hear is that they don't offset with pressure on one to the other, meaning when you push onto the right pedals the left one doesn't slide towards you.

Welcome to the addiction.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Be aware that the CH sticks do not have any rudder control so you will NEED pedals of some sort.

TheFamilyMan
10-24-2008, 03:23 PM
The really nice thing with the X52 is that everything you need to do in IL-2 can be programming to its buttons, though the joystick's centering spring is barely tight enough to keep it in any upright position. There are mods described around the web to tighten it up some, or just go with the X52 Pro that does not have this problem.

As for rudder control, using a twisty stick can really kill your wrist and also limit your targeting ability. I used to think 'who needs pedals' too. Also check out TrackIR; it adds unsurpassed levels of immersion and playability.

Stafroty
10-24-2008, 03:42 PM
CH fighterstick usb, CH pro throttle and simped vario/pro USB pedals is my recommedations, even if prizes wont meetur qualifications

Stiletto-
10-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I use an X52 with Logitech G25 Pedals. The extra clutch pedal I use for the brake (works great). I never used the twist part of the x52, I put the twist lock on that and just use the pedals, I reccomend you get your racing wheel out and use those for the rudder. Also this opens up your options for sticks since you don't need a twist rudder anymore but I'd still probably go with the X52, it is good value for the money even if it isn't quite as rugid as the CH Stuff. The Throttle is simply excellent on it.

If you aren't sure about how "deep" you will get into IL-2 then I definatley wouldn't get anything more expensive than the X52, if you think you will be a casual flight simmer you won't need anything more expensive and if you are really on a budget you could look at something like the Saitek Aviator. Depending on your budget, you could spend the extra money on a TrackIR later or something else to further enhance and upgrade your flight setup in installments.

steiner562
10-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Yep I agree with stiletto,the CH stuff is brilliant,but for a beginner I wouldnt even get a hotas setup until your sure you want to commit hours to the game,get a saitek aviator or something similar and work from there.

M_Gunz
10-24-2008, 09:19 PM
My copy of 1946, UK version, has only 2 DVDs. What's this 6 DVD?

Skycat_2
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
My copy of 1946, UK version, has only 2 DVDs. What's this 6 DVD? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I assumed that since he doesn't have the DVD version, he was mislead by the "Five games in one" advertising blurb on the DVD box. The 1946 game is actually just the final build that includes all of the content from the expansion packs; it installs as one game from one DVD. (The second DVD that came with early copies of the 1946 DVD is just bonus videos and stuff.)

WTE_Galway
10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Hardware priorities:

1) Joystick

2) & 3) Tossup between Rudder Pedals and TrackIR for second place. Probably the pedals by a very small margin with trackIR number three.

4) HOTAS

Software Version:

You need Il2-1946.

The DVD is more convenient but be aware the non-US versions apparently ship with the evil Sony SecureROM that causes issues with Itunes and most virtual drive software and some versions of NERO (among other things). Its banned in the US so the US DVD of the game is fine. If cannot get the US DVD the downloadable version is a better option.

M_Gunz
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Maybe just get the pedals. (http://www.cachya.com/esight/overview.php)

Duckmeister
10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks a lot everyone, this is very helpful.

About the "6 DVD" thing, I was trying to talk about the compilation of all the 5 expansion packs and the game itself. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Another question, is the X52 the same as the X52 pro flight besides the tension problem and the color?

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duckmeister:
Thanks a lot everyone, this is very helpful.

About the "6 DVD" thing, I was trying to talk about the compilation of all the 5 expansion packs and the game itself. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Another question, is the X52 the same as the X52 pro flight besides the tension problem and the color? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The X52 Pro has some metal parts, an improved more functional LCD screen on the throttle and supposedly has some higher quality internals.

Duckmeister
10-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Do you think that the X52 Pro's advantages that you mentioned are worth the extra $50?

Besides, couldn't I just bypass the spring tension problem on the regular X52 by just keeping my hand on the stick? It is a sort of HOTAS, even with a button on the throttle to be a left mouse button.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think the difference is worth it really. If you could find a discounted Pro then go for it but it's up to you. The spring on the X52 can easily be increased by using one of those foam spacers that come in spindles of blank cd/dvd's, just cut a slit in it and stick it between the top of the spring and the bottom of the stick handle, works like a charm. If you don't have TrackIR then you can use the mini stick on the throttle for your mouse view and it works good, just increase the mouse speed in game and you can track baddies almost as good as trackIR.

Beirut
10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
If you're looking to save cash but still want a really nice setup, buy a Saitek Force Feedback stick and a normal Saitek Cyborg Evo stick to use as a throttle. It will probably be at least $50 cheaper than an X52 Pro, and you get a very versatile and comfortable force feedback HOTAS with lots of buttons and switches. I've been using a setup like this for years and it's great.

I have my "throttle" Saitek Cyborg Evo set so with the stick at center rest it's at 50% throttle. Push forward for more power, pull back for less. The control over your speed is super precise, amazing control is tight dogfights, and it's fun to use. And there are enough buttons on the stick to handle my views, padlock, and flaps and gear. My main stick buttons are for weapons and the POV hat.

Something to think about.

Duckmeister
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your help everyone.

Another question: can someone give me a link to a tutorial on how to set up a stick? Like, I am confused about how the X52 throttle works with IL-2. Does it recognize that the stick is currently in the 50% position and tells the game to put the engine power at 50%?

I'm just kind of confused, and I know I would see the answers myself when I get the joystick and the game and everything, but I'd like to know beforehand.

Beirut
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey Duck,

The Saitek flightstick software is very easy to use, has a nice 3D visual interface, and lets you configure the buttons in all sorts of ways. I have one buttton set so it will show me the map with a quick push but if I hold the buttton down for second or more it will lower the gear. Very handy to be able to do stuff like that.

If you're set on the X52, that's that. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. But believe me, and please ask for more opinions, flying with a force feedback stick is the shizzle! It's not only great fun and immersive, but it really helps you handle the plane. So give a thought to my humble suggestion and check out the prices of the different options.

My rig, with my old screen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/LOGS3001.jpg

Beirut
10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah, me again.

There are other options as well. If you don't care about force feedback (though you really, really should), you could just buy two Saitek Cyborg Evo sticks and use them as your main stick and throttle. The handles are ambidextrous and very comfortable. You'll have lots of buttons to do all your stuff with and the set up will probably cost half of what the X52Pro does and offer pretty much the same functionality.

You can use the $100 you save for a bigger screen or more beer.

Duckmeister
10-29-2008, 02:13 PM
But I'm not going to get the X52 Pro, and even if I was, on amazon it's only $140, so I'd really only save $40, with the regular X52 I'd save $50.

And I don't drink beer either, lol.

But thanks for your help, I am definitely considering your option.

Beirut
10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what you do.

For my part, if money was no issue (sadly it is), I'd buy the X52Pro and just use the throttle with my MS FFB2. The X52Pro stick would hit the closet as a backup.

Duckmeister
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, after a long time (and calling relatives to tell them I want such and such for christmas), I have some more questions:

1. I saw a thread a while ago talking about a DLL trick that boosts performance. I can't find the thread, but I don't remember exactly what to do. If someone could help me with that it would be excellent.

2. Also, are there any other performance tips and tricks as such out there that I could use?

3. Also, when is this BOB:SOW coming out? I heard something about it coming with an "il-2 killer" that would deactivate your IL-2 when you installed it, and I think that's just mean.

I hope I'm not getting a great flight sim to be surpassed in 3 months by something that maybe half the people who play IL-2 now would switch over to.

4. I've heard all this about changing the config file for really nice graphics. Is there things you can do in the config file you cannot do just in the in-game graphics menu?

4.5 Are there pictures available showing the differences between graphics settings?

5. What do software like IL-2 Stab and IL-2 Manager actually do?

Thanks again.

Sillius_Sodus
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duckmeister:
Well, after a long time (and calling relatives to tell them I want such and such for christmas), I have some more questions:

1. I saw a thread a while ago talking about a DLL trick that boosts performance. I can't find the thread, but I don't remember exactly what to do. If someone could help me with that it would be excellent.

2. Also, are there any other performance tips and tricks as such out there that I could use?

3. Also, when is this BOB:SOW coming out? I heard something about it coming with an "il-2 killer" that would deactivate your IL-2 when you installed it, and I think that's just mean.

I hope I'm not getting a great flight sim to be surpassed in 3 months by something that maybe half the people who play IL-2 now would switch over to.

4. I've heard all this about changing the config file for really nice graphics. Is there things you can do in the config file you cannot do just in the in-game graphics menu?

4.5 Are there pictures available showing the differences between graphics settings?

5. What do software like IL-2 Stab and IL-2 Manager actually do?

Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this point you should wait until you get your copy of IL2 and see how it runs on your system. You might not need to use any "tricks" and the sim looks great even without all the extra stuff you can do with the config file. Once you have played for a while you can try some of the many mods that are out there but for now your best bet would be to just enjoy the game "vanilla".

If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Duckmeister
11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Relating to the dll thing, I found the thread, and there was no link to these "dll packs" that MG (maddox games I guess) have been releasing. Where are these dll packs? Link please!

Everyone also try to answer all the questions in my above post, it would be greatly apreciated.

Divine-Wind
11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
2. Also, are there any other performance tips and tricks as such out there that I could use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Buy an awesome computer

Or you could just tweak the settings on your current machine to squeeze out as much performance as possible. Play with the game settings as well. That's about all I can say without knowing what your setup is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. Also, when is this BOB:SOW coming out? I heard something about it coming with an "il-2 killer" that would deactivate your IL-2 when you installed it, and I think that's just mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2 weeks be sure! Also, I personally think the rumor about BoB deactivating Il-2 is a bunch of bull... happiness

I'm not sure it's even possible to 'deactivate' Il-2 (I'm thinking if it was someone might have found that out by now?), and besides, why would they do it anyways?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope I'm not getting a great flight sim to be surpassed in 3 months by something that maybe half the people who play IL-2 now would switch over to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're not. People will be playing this sim long after BoB comes out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. I've heard all this about changing the config file for really nice graphics. Is there things you can do in the config file you cannot do just in the in-game graphics menu? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can activate different water and tree graphics via the config. You can also turn on arcade mode (Plays just the same as regular mode, except now there are speech bubbles with witty comments and arrows that mark where your shots have landed)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4.5 Are there pictures available showing the differences between graphics settings? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
images.google.com (http://images.google.com)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5. What do software like IL-2 Stab and IL-2 Manager actually do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They can activate different features. Il-2 Shturmovik Stab lets you tweak different settings, while MAT Manager lets you put in historically correct (And much nicer looking) markings.

Duckmeister
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. Also, when is this BOB:SOW coming out? I heard something about it coming with an "il-2 killer" that would deactivate your IL-2 when you installed it, and I think that's just mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2 weeks be sure! Also, I personally think the rumor about BoB deactivating Il-2 is a bunch of bull... happiness </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Only 2 weeks? I hate typing good sarcasm on forums because it's sorta hard to tell sometimes, but of course, it's always me when someone says something obviously sarcastic and I don't get it and everyone else does http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Also, need a link for the Dlls thing please.

Divine-Wind
11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Err, the 2 weeks thing is an in-joke. You'll find that we use it a lot around here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Also, can't help with the DLL's, sorry. You might try searching 'round the forums, or googling it.

Erkki_M
11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
About joysticks... I've have tried MS sidewinders, all Logitechs but the WingmanAttack 1, and most Saitek products. (To me) None of these feel as good as my belowed CH 568. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not even X52. X52 seems a semi-cheap option, but I hated the string in the stick base in all the 3 I tried, and the twisting stick. Twisting can be locked, but the lock is not good enough: it still twists some. The old X45 doesnt have twistick stick but PlayStation-ish buttons for middle and forefinger behind the throttle, which is IMO a better solution. X52 also seemed rather inaccurate and plastic to me, and I didnt like how the buttons were positioned. CH costs a little more, but believe me, its worth it. Besides you can throw it on a wall, without breaking it, if you get mad.

Logitechs are all crap.

Rudder is not a must. I didnt use rudder _at all_ in flight(using keyboard's x and z buttons at landing and takeoff only), and bought myself rudder pedals only afew months back. I think I did rather well without them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On setting up the stick, I use plug & play drivers and 100% all the way in IL2's settings (straight line) - no filtering or dead band. Works good with my CH, dunno about Saiteks. Probably not that well. Some sticks have problems in the middle area, so it might be a good idea to trim(with the stick's own trims that just move the "cursor", or those that use the game's "trims") nose up so that you will have to push the stick to stay at level flight - the stick is less around the middle area. Having always pressure on the stick also makes you fly slightly smoothier and aiming easier. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

strider1
11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Welcome here, m8!

See the sticky "A Nugget's Guide to Getting Off the Ground" near the top of this forum. It has the answers to your questions and many more you haven't thought of yet but will. Read it all and check out Joint Op's Virual Combat School (the link is there) to save yourself about 6-8 months of fumbling around by yourself to learn the basics.

There's a steep learning curve to IL2 but it is oh so satisfying when you get a bit proficient.

Good luck, m8! Have fun!

Strider1

SeaFireLIV
11-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Don`t use Steam. get the thing in hand if at all possible.

Duckmeister
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Alright, thanks so much guys. If you haven't been looking at this thread since it started, please look through the whole thing (2 pages, I know it's hard, but please do) to try to answer all my questions that at least haven't been answered in a way you thought necessary.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Special thanks to Divine-Wind for answering all my questions on that post specifically, that was extremely helpful.

I've decided that I'm gonna get the Saitek x52, the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 DVD (no steam for me), and hopefully grow from there.

Btw, I've done many, many flight simulators before (Jane's WW2 Fighters FTW!), and have gotten proficient at flying these virtual airplanes. Yes, I've read the nugget's guide, and it's excellent. So I'm past the copy and paste noob help posts...

But thanks anyways. This has been a great help, I'll probably have more questions in the future, and I still need a link for those mysterious DLL packs.

Thanks again,
Duckmeister

FoolTrottel
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Link to a DLL pack (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2009?name=Downloads&c=568) (Not sure whether those are the ones you are looking for...)

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Dll's here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3246

Duckmeister
11-18-2008, 01:51 PM
So, since most online servers are 4.08 I heard, and these dlls are for 4.09b, I wouldn't be able to use them til I upgraded to 4.09b first, but then I would have a a hard time finding a server correct?

So what do you guys recommend?

Duckmeister
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry for double post but I have a new question:

Where can I get some awesome skins, like, is there a site that has like "highest rated" or "most downloaded" so I won't have to go through 1000 skins to get 100 good ones?

Divine-Wind
11-19-2008, 08:08 PM
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=downloads2

http://flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=20

learn2google tbh

ImMoreBetter
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
So, since most online servers are 4.08 I heard, and these dlls are for 4.09b, I wouldn't be able to use them til I upgraded to 4.09b first, but then I would have a a hard time finding a server correct?

So what do you guys recommend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After you install it the game the first time, just copy the files somewhere else, so that you have two copies. Upgrade one to 4.09b, and leave the other at 4.08.

You'll have to rename one of the folders, just tack something at the end. The game will automatically open the one without the extension. When you want to play the other version, just rename the folders again.

Ed6269
11-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Can The Saitek stuff X 52 throttle be mated to a Thrustmaster Top Gun Pro 2? I like the stick, and want the throttle programing.

Duckmeister
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=downloads2

http://flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=20

learn2google tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can google just fine thank you very much. M4T I've used before for downloads because of the convenience of browsing (like I asked for, top 50 downloads, etc.). But flying legends has them by plane which is nice, just no "top 50" or w/e.

EDIT:

What's the advantage of having unmarked skins vs. marked?

What exactly is "unmarked" and "marked"?

What are some skins that you guys would recommmend?

More questions later...

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 02:15 PM
You can see more than jus the top 50. Just scroll down and you'll see the the paint schemes section (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&c=143), under categories.

Marked skins come with national/personal markings. Unmarked skins come without national/personal markings.

Marked skins can be used in historical situations, or to disguise aircraft.

Duckmeister
11-20-2008, 02:53 PM
What is a "paint scheme" vs. a "skin"?

Are they one and the same?

Is nose art and personal markings part of the skin or separate?

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Yep, same thing.

Some skins come with noseart (Marked versions), but you can put noseart on most American aircraft ingame. (American aircraft only... Because apparently nobody else painted boobies on their planes)

Duckmeister
11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
So far I've found that the only nose art available for download is either donald duck or naked girls. Anything else?

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
So far I've found that the only nose art available for download is either donald duck or naked girls. Anything else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usually that's what noseart was...

Stiletto-
11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, I think this is the first time a new player has actually read the nuggets guide before receiving the game. Usually someone has a noob question about something not working properly in the game and then 3 links to the begginers guide come up. So that's good!

I played Janes, I actually played it a month ago and the graphics still looked pretty good. Though I couldn't get my X52 working in it.

Btw, X52 is a fine stick, once you get familar with IL-2's controls, you can then prioritize what you need most, and most efficiently and then you can make your profile. I wouldn't really reccomend downloading someone elses profile.. I have a TrackIR so I have no padlock view functions on my hat where those would be useful for people that don't have a TrackIR, etc..

Thinks that are important besides your obvious basics are:

* Gun Sight "Zoom-in" view - You will need the narrow "sniper" type view to help identify enemies and sometimes it helps aid with firing, you will need to set a button or hat to go back to normal view. You will use it way too much for it to be located on the keyboard.

* Alternate Cockpit View - Shift F1, changes from the center looking at gunsight to a wider or off-center view for looking at gauges. Also if their are bogeys outside, you can often effectivley switch between the two views to see past a window pilar or such things.

* Elevator Trim - Preferably on an axis wheel or Slider.

*Rudder Trim - Again, preferably on an axis wheel or Slider.

* Prop Pitch - Will work on a Hat or buttons in 5% interprets but again, a slider or axis is prefered.

* WEP or War Emergeny Power - I'd put it on the D button on the throttle, most planes have some extra horsepower options for those times when you really need.

* Super-Charger settings - Need to be changed at certain altitudes for certain planes

* Fuel Mixture settings - Need to be changed at certain altitudes for certain planes

* Radiator or Cowl Flap settings - You will be overheating alot when in combat, opening the cowl flaps will cool your engine faster and keep it cooler at the expense of drag.

* Aileron Trim - Not as important as the other trim settings for most planes but some aircraft really need all inputs dialed in for stable level flight, such as the Brewster Buffalo which is in my sig.

* Map, it is essential to keep your bearings, best on the stick, not on the keyboard to pop it up, however brief of a look it may be.

These are just a few but probably the ones you want to prioritize because you use them alot throughout your flight.. You can most certainly put all the controls you need on the X52 where you will only really have to use the keyboard to type and not much else.

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Just adding to Stiletto's excellent tips:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
* Gun Sight "Zoom-in" view - You will need the narrow "sniper" type view to help identify enemies and sometimes it helps aid with firing, you will need to set a button or hat to go back to normal view. You will use it way too much for it to be located on the keyboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Personally I have zoom in/out set to the hatswitch on the throttle - Push down on the hat to zoom in, pull up to zoom out. Works for me anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">* Alternate Cockpit View - Shift F1, changes from the center looking at gunsight to a wider or off-center view for looking at gauges. Also if their are bogeys outside, you can often effectivley switch between the two views to see past a window pilar or such things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, I personally have this set to 'B' button on the flight stick. I can switch back and forth without ever taking my hands off the stick.

Just thought I'd throw these out there.

Duckmeister
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
Wow, I think this is the first time a new player has actually read the nuggets guide before receiving the game. Usually someone has a noob question about something not working properly in the game and then 3 links to the begginers guide come up. So that's good!

I played Janes, I actually played it a month ago and the graphics still looked pretty good. Though I couldn't get my X52 working in it.

Btw, X52 is a fine stick, once you get familar with IL-2's controls, you can then prioritize what you need most, and most efficiently and then you can make your profile. I wouldn't really reccomend downloading someone elses profile.. I have a TrackIR so I have no padlock view functions on my hat where those would be useful for people that don't have a TrackIR, etc..

Thinks that are important besides your obvious basics are:

* Gun Sight "Zoom-in" view - You will need the narrow "sniper" type view to help identify enemies and sometimes it helps aid with firing, you will need to set a button or hat to go back to normal view. You will use it way too much for it to be located on the keyboard.

* Alternate Cockpit View - Shift F1, changes from the center looking at gunsight to a wider or off-center view for looking at gauges. Also if their are bogeys outside, you can often effectivley switch between the two views to see past a window pilar or such things.

* Elevator Trim - Preferably on an axis wheel or Slider.

*Rudder Trim - Again, preferably on an axis wheel or Slider.

* Prop Pitch - Will work on a Hat or buttons in 5% interprets but again, a slider or axis is prefered.

* WEP or War Emergeny Power - I'd put it on the D button on the throttle, most planes have some extra horsepower options for those times when you really need.

* Super-Charger settings - Need to be changed at certain altitudes for certain planes

* Fuel Mixture settings - Need to be changed at certain altitudes for certain planes

* Radiator or Cowl Flap settings - You will be overheating alot when in combat, opening the cowl flaps will cool your engine faster and keep it cooler at the expense of drag.

* Aileron Trim - Not as important as the other trim settings for most planes but some aircraft really need all inputs dialed in for stable level flight, such as the Brewster Buffalo which is in my sig.

* Map, it is essential to keep your bearings, best on the stick, not on the keyboard to pop it up, however brief of a look it may be.

These are just a few but probably the ones you want to prioritize because you use them alot throughout your flight.. You can most certainly put all the controls you need on the X52 where you will only really have to use the keyboard to type and not much else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because I'm a newbie to IL-2 doesn't mean I'm a newbie to flight sims, or aircraft in general, or the demo! (I've logged quite a few hours in the demo...)

So I already know about everything you're talking about, trim, flaps, cowling, pitch, mixture, the like.

It's weird, because like you said, most people who get into a flight sim don't read anything but the manual, and sometimes not even that.

I've already read the FMB tutorials, CEM guides, the nugget's guide (which was excellent btw, great job, you really explained well the things that new pilots need to know) and the like, mostly because I like to be prepared, and it gets me hyped for getting the full game for Christmas (hehe).

Basically, you're talking to the guy who played Flight Simulator 98 on a Sidewinder Pro every day for 5 hours (darn that Hong Kong mission!).

I really appreciate the help though, what I'm looking for is things pertaining specifically to IL-2 that I'd need to know about the game itself, although I can always take a tip or two on flying technique anytime...

Thanks also for the suggestions for control placement on the stick, I'll definitely take that into account.

Hope to see you in the skies on the 25th of December, then.

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Basically, you're talking to the guy who played Flight Simulator 98 on a Sidewinder Pro every day for 5 hours (darn that Hong Kong mission!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FS can be an addicting game indeed! I still remember the first time I played FS2000... It was my first flight sim, and I couldn't stop playing. Matters didn't get any better when I got CFS2... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I too was no stranger to flight sims when I met Il-2, but I wish I'd had this much help when I first got hooked! Although my buddies and I had some fun times working things out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif Anyways, looking forward to seeing you in the air come Christmas, hopefully everything works out with the game!

Duckmeister
11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I remember when I got FS2004, and I couldn't even get out of the stupid hangar because of all the ATC crap you had to go through, but once you got used to it, you no longer called crap, you called it immersion right?

Hehe.

EDIT:

New Question:

Will other players be able to see custom skins online?

Where can I find an 352nd Fighter Group Skins for the P-47 and the P-51 (google, yes I know, but come on)?

I actually had the privilege of meeting Bob "Punchy" Powell, pilot for the 352nd (the "Bluenosed *******s of Bodney") during WW2, and now is the group historian, organizing reunions and the like. You should try to get his book, "Bluenoser Tales", excellent account of the many events the 352nd went through, along with plenty of other 8th Air Force stories.

That's what I'd like some skins for that group.

Divine-Wind
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I remember when I got FS2004, and I couldn't even get out of the stupid hangar because of all the ATC crap you had to go through, but once you got used to it, you no longer called crap, you called it immersion right?

Hehe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha! I always just ignored them, it's not like they could do anything about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Erkki_M
11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Will other players be able to see custom skins online? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, if the server has skin download enabled. Yet every player has to turn it on as well in his own settings. Note that some servers, for various reasons especially those with more realistic settings, tend to have it disabled, and you'll be the only one able to see your skin.

Duckmeister
11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I've noticed that mod thread popping up a lot lately.

1. If I wanted to install mods, should I just get the AAA Unified Installer thingy and that's it? Or should I try to get other piecemeal things too?

2. On modded servers, if someone has a mod that changes something on a plane, and another person doesn't, how does that work?

Like, everyone was making this big deal over the bar on the fw190.

2.1 If I had the "bar removal" mod, and someone else didn't, and we were on the same server, that means I still get the bar and he doesn't?

So, there's no equalization of mods?

3. On the topic of skinning, are the nuts and bolts and welding lines part of the skin, or part of the aircraft model itself?

3.1 If I wanted to make a skin, and just filled all the white with yellow, would it just be yellow, with no rivets and such?

3.2 If that's the case, are the nuts and bolts and other generic things like another layer on the picture, so if I edited it with Photoshop, can I just go to the bottom layer and add the color, and leave the other things on the top layer?

4. On stock servers (no mods allowed), how does anyone know if someone is using a mod or not?

I know I didn't ask these very well, so sorry.

More questions later...

Thanks again,
Duckmeister

Divine-Wind
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM

1. If I wanted to install mods, should I just get the AAA Unified Installer thingy and that's it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. Afterwards you can add other mods onto it. Also, be sure to keep two separate installs of Il-2. (Just install the regular version, then copy those files over and install the mod over that)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. On the topic of skinning, are the nuts and bolts and welding lines part of the skin, or part of the aircraft model itself?

3.1 If I wanted to make a skin, and just filled all the white with yellow, would it just be yellow, with no rivets and such?

3.2 If that's the case, are the nuts and bolts and other generic things like another layer on the picture, so if I edited it with Photoshop, can I just go to the bottom layer and add the color, and leave the other things on the top layer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
3) The little details you see (Rivets, panel lines, etc) are all part of the skin. If they look 3D it's because the skinner did a fantastic job.

3.1) Yes - See answer to 3.

3.2) Depends. On the void.bmp skin you can use, they're all on the same layer. However, if you use a template, all those details will be on their own individual layers. (or just one layer, depending on the amount of work put into the template) Templates are usually much easier to work with than the void.bmp file, as most of the work has been done for you.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Im all about CH Products but if you can only spend 100 dollars I suggest you pick up a MS Sidewinder FFB or Precision 2 over Ebay.

S!

ImMoreBetter
11-24-2008, 06:15 PM

1. If I wanted to install mods, should I just get the AAA Unified Installer thingy and that's it? Or should I try to get other piecemeal things too?

2. On modded servers, if someone has a mod that changes something on a plane, and another person doesn't, how does that work?

Like, everyone was making this big deal over the bar on the fw190.

2.1 If I had the "bar removal" mod, and someone else didn't, and we were on the same server, that means I still get the bar and he doesn't?

So, there's no equalization of mods?

3. On the topic of skinning, are the nuts and bolts and welding lines part of the skin, or part of the aircraft model itself?

3.2 If that's the case, are the nuts and bolts and other generic things like another layer on the picture, so if I edited it with Photoshop, can I just go to the bottom layer and add the color, and leave the other things on the top layer?

4. On stock servers (no mods allowed), how does anyone know if someone is using a mod or not?

I know I didn't ask these very well, so sorry.

More questions later...

Thanks again,
Duckmeister </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes, install that one for starters, but there are a lot of other mods that do not come in that pack.

2. Most of the mods are dependent on what you have on your computer.

3. The rivets and stuff are all a part of the skin.

3.1. Yes.

3.2. They are not usually on a separate layer, unless the skin is a template (as stated above). It is possible to cut the rivets and stuff from the void.bmp using a 'select by color' tool, though it is quite messy to do so. You can also make your own rivets, custom rivets often look nicer than the default ones.

4. If they are doing things that are not normally possible in the clean version of the game.

Chances are, many people on the server are using mods, though usually nonpublic effecting. This is why mods are a controversial topic.