PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Cyborg Evo

3.JG51_BigBear
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I just bought this stick today and I love it. Let me start by saying I'm a die hard MSFF2 fan. I recently sold my last two MSFF2s after flying with the sticks for about four years. I always liked their solid bases and force feeback effects but I thought it was time to try something else, especially since these sticks were starting to give me problems with my hand (I'm only 20, not getting arthritis just yet, but I did have hand surgey a couple years ago and the sticks were starting to get to me). So I went to Best Buy and I was looking for a moderately priced stick (funds are a little tight right now so I wanted to be economical). I picked up the EVO because I liked the way it looked (not usually a good idea) and I couldn't be happier with it. It has more buttons with easier access than my MSFF2 had and a much more robust throttle lever which I like a lot (even though the placement leaves a little to be desired). The base is light, but that really isn't a problem since it doesn't have force feeback. It also features an adjustible bottom hand rest which is really a nice feature (it also has adjustment for the angle of the buttons on the top of the stick but I could take or leave them). Properly calibrated the stick is also very precise (how long that lasts is yet to be seen).

I'm also enjoying NOT having force feeback. Although I enjoyed the effects I found they threw off my aim and caused some serious landing accidents as the stick would attemtp to rip itself from my hand (needed some tweaking of the forces when I first started Il2 three years ago). I also find that not having the force feeback allows me to fly the A/C along their perfromance envelopes because I have more precise control than I did with the MSFF2.

I would recommend this stick to anyone who is looking to buy a modestly priced joystick (about $40.00 American, could probably get it cheaper on ebay or through an online store but I just hate dealing with that stuff). Undoubtedly the X45 looked like a better stick but it had a switch on the bottom of the stick that would have driven me nuts and although I consider myself a die hard sim fan, it was just too much (what was I going to do with two hat switches).

Anway, I'm a happy customer (for now, wait for the posts when the stick breaks), and thought I'd share. Thanks

Hunde_3.JG51
11-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey Bigbear!

Map buttons 2 and 4 to "flaps up" and "flaps down" and never look back.

Maj_Death
11-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Actually the X-45 has 4 hat buttons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif. They arn't hard to use up either, in the IL2 line I use 1 for views and another for trim. In LOMAC I use them for that and target designator and radar/IR diriction. BTW, that button on the base has a removable extender. With that extender thing on there I can't use it either but once off it fits my hand fine. The Evo is a good choice though, I'm sure it will last you a good long time.

3.JG51_BigBear
11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Hunde, first thing I did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MajDeath, I thought about the X45 for LOMAC and I know I could have been mapping keys to my heart's content on that thing but I really just liked the way the EVO looked better (stupid reason I know) and of course it was cheaper.

"The Evo is a good choice though, I'm sure it will last you a good long time." -Glad to hear it, was the only thing I was really worried about. Thanks.

pielkop
12-01-2004, 12:11 AM
I own a cyborg evo aswell and i am also very happy with it ,the only thing that sucks is that i have to move it around it's axes every time before i can use it seeing as it looses it's calibration after a windows shutdown .Or have they fixed that problem and i don't know about it

MaxMhz
12-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Congrats http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The evo packs th most button for the buck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

- and dont forget - DO run that profiler and turn the hat to mouse-mode http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif adjust the sensitivity to 2/3 to the right - try it !

Saitek say they have fixed the problem of "quick calibrate" with winXP - i'm not convinced - didn't try it either - find it kind of authentic? - well - think - would a fighter pilot do that? I bet he would....

Andrewsdad
12-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Salute !!!

I really like the EVO too. Yes, when Windows is shut down and restarted the stick must be re-calibrated.

Since I usually forget to do it my first take-off is kind of exciting !!! After climbing a few hundred meters, just rotate the stick fully around and run the rudders fully and you are good to go.

AD

3.JG51_BigBear
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
I installed the drivers from the Saitek website and I haven't had any problems with the stick needing to be "reminded" of its calibration. Kinda happy about that.

MaxMhZ- thanks for the tip, I like that mouse panning with the hat switch a lot. Janes WW2 had a similar system built into the game but it didn't work as smoothly as this does. Awesome, thanks.

tttiger
12-01-2004, 10:54 AM
The Saitek Cyborg Evo is an amazing stick for the price. It's the new generation of Saitek's Cyborg 3D line (Evo = Evolution, I guess), which I have used for years. I prefer twist sticks because when I used pedals the dog kept getting tangled up in the wires http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. (Please, let's not argue about twist sticks versus pedals).

I think I paid $31 (including free shipping) at Amazon.com. Shop around a bit and you can find a good price. And, like the Cyborg 3Ds, they were inexpensive enough that I have no hesitation in replacing them when the springs start getting mushy, which happens after about one year.

My only complaints are the light base (I'm considering using Velcro) and the adjustable features for hand size. I have small hands. The Cyborg 3Ds had one more position higher and were perfect for me. The Evo hand base doesn't go that high and thus isn't quite as ergonomic. But it's still very comfortable.

Sure, I'd love to have a new X-52. The high price isn't what stops me. The problem, for me, is that it takes up an enormous amount of desk space. I actually do work at my desk from time to time and the Evo is small enough to set aside without having to unplug it.

The need to recalibrate by rotating through the axes is a minor thing. I've just made it part of my take-off checklist. You check to make sure your ailerons, rudder and elevator are moving properly before taking off in real life. It takes less than five seconds and adds to the immersion.

An excellent stick at a very affordable price.

ttt

3.JG51_BigBear
12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have any pitch, roll and yaw values for this stick? I used to go 0 25 50 100 on pitch and roll with a more gradual curve on yaw for the MSFF2 but these values seem a little to extreme for this stick (especially roll on the FW, thought I was going to be sick). I tried values that 1C has put out but they're way too slow, probably more realistic, but way to slow for playing online.

gates123
12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
good joystick i just wish the spring was stiffer

BSS_Goat
12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
BUMP ... I'm kinda interested in some EVO settings myself.

Hunde_3.JG51
12-01-2004, 08:49 PM
You might not believe this but my settings:

Yaw:

100 100 100 100, etc. (I can twist as gently as I need to)

Pitch:

47 57 67 77 87 97 100 100 100 100

Roll:

4 14 25 36 47 58 69 80 90 100

I only bumped roll down because I fly the 190 most of the time. As for pitch I like it to be very sensative, this helps me maneuver quicker with smaller pull range and it gives the plane a tighter feel (I hate yanking the stick around). It is only a hinderance when I am parked on someone's six as minor adjustments can be tough, but then at that point its usually over anyway. If I flew T&B type aircraft I would likely ease up on pitch.

VF-29_Sandman
12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
as the stick loses it's 'brand new tightness', just adjust the first slider in the flight controls to eliminate the sloppy slack the stick will get...the slop will affect the virtual cockpit stick and make aiming very hard if not done. other than that, the stick is top notch like sidewinder used to be and waaaaaaaay better than logi-junks.

my sets:
pitch: 8,28,39,47,57,65,76,86,97,100
roll: 13,23,35,42,54,65,77,88,96,100
yaw: 33,43,49,59,67,75,83,89,95,100

its true the stick forgets calibration on the first flight...and for first flight of each time u launch fb, but all it takes to recal it is a full circle around the stick axis and kick the rudders each way to full deflection. takes only seconds so no worries.

joeap
12-02-2004, 06:30 AM
I just picked one up and agree with the others here that it is a great stick (for the price). Lvoe the adjustability and the number of buttons is nuts. My old stick (which I will keep for now) is an MS Precision Pro 2 which was nice and lasted almost 3 years. I went through 3 or 4 Logitechs before that and was determined not to repeat that mistake again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I also am pretty light on the touch so a good stick should last me

pielkop
12-03-2004, 01:53 AM
for those of you that are interested there are new drivers for the cyborg evo ,well new to me anyway so go the www.saitek.com (http://www.saitek.com) and update yours if you need to

LW-X-52_Swordy
12-03-2004, 06:25 AM
I've gone from a Cyborg evo to an X-52. Don't look back in anger.
Differant class of beast.

Just got to get used to the set up for it now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

S 8
12-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Anyone got any good profiles for it.HavenāĀ“t used that program until recently.I still struggle to get the shift button to work.I guess that saitek smart technology outsmart me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif