PDA

View Full Version : Flaps n Props n turnradius

jugent
11-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Props

Does the prop-pitch inflict the turn-radius?

A idle engine with a small angle of prop-pitch must brake the a/c much more than a "fethered" prop.

Does it work in real-life and is it include in the flightmodel in this game.

Flaps

I have put on of the axis of my hotas cougar joystick to the flaps.
I have noticed that I can lower the not in steps as in dogfight, takeoff and landing, but in positions between.

In many a/c:s in real life there where a lever that controlled the flaps in an analog way.

Does the flightmodel adjust to the small settings or is it only the states combat/takeoff/landing for the flaps included in the flightmodell?

jugent
11-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Props

Does the prop-pitch inflict the turn-radius?

A idle engine with a small angle of prop-pitch must brake the a/c much more than a "fethered" prop.

Does it work in real-life and is it include in the flightmodel in this game.

Flaps

I have put on of the axis of my hotas cougar joystick to the flaps.
I have noticed that I can lower the not in steps as in dogfight, takeoff and landing, but in positions between.

In many a/c:s in real life there where a lever that controlled the flaps in an analog way.

Does the flightmodel adjust to the small settings or is it only the states combat/takeoff/landing for the flaps included in the flightmodell?

OMK_Hand
11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Speed certainly influences turn radius.
Prop RPM and engine power certainly influence speed.
Prop RPM and engine power now also seem capable of adversly influencing a planes' ability to turn.

Flaps do have an effect whatever their setting,
Creating more lift and drag.

rnzoli
11-03-2005, 04:22 AM
I have come across a mission on the Internet, specifically designed for testing turn radii at different aircraft configurations. Maybe you can do some tests as you wish.

But then again, does turn radius have much to do with winning or loosing? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif ask a Fw-190 pilot for the correct answer)

jugent
11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
From time to time I would appreciate a tighter turn-radius, and another situation demand a better climbrate.
You know, whats most important for a rectangle, the widht or the height?

OMK_Hand
11-11-2005, 04:25 PM
What's most important?
Beating the enemy by any means available.
Knowing what you can do, and what the enemy is trying to do - at all times.
I guess knowing your plane is the thing...
What's good for one is poor for another.

Grey_Mouser67
11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
All things affect turn radius.

You should look up a term called "corner speed"

There is an optimum speed and radius for all aircraft. Don't mix up turning radius/circle for turn time...they are two things.

Don't know if you've ever read Robert Shaw's book on combat tactics and manuevering but he covers "angles fighting" in depth and when you are turning inside folks and exploiting this feature you are "angles fighting" Turn radius is more important than turn time in this regime and there are many factors that affect it. Books have been written on the subject and I am still learning so I suggest you pick up some of those books and become a student in the science of combat tactics and manuevering and enjoy the sim...while the FM's are not always accurate, they are complicated to the degree that you can apply almost all of the tactics in certain situations. That is where I derive my enjoyment...I love the science of air to air combat!

danjama
11-11-2005, 05:52 PM
kinda like if someone is turning into you from behind, banking ur plane so that your nose is pointing downwards and so u will turn tighter and go underneath them? Causing them to make a tough deflection shot or turn really widely