PDA

View Full Version : Mugger or Cutpurse?

Gabelous01
01-19-2011, 01:25 AM
I didn't search, but this isn't really a debate on which is better. I'd like if people slant to one side or the other.

Mugger: You're gonna stun, and are confident you can pull it off.

Pros
- 200 points beats 100 points for an escape.
- The situation is roughly contained and more discreet.
- It takes less time to earn your points.

Cons

- If your pursuer is onto you, you're hard pressed to create a situation where you can stun them.
- If you are a smoker, it creates a very obvious scene.
- Given above, there is a chance your bomb won't be ready.
- If there is more than one pursuer present, you are invulnerable.

Cutpurse: You're already moving to flee and break LoS, let's see if they can keep up.

Pros

- Generally less risky (it's harder to surprise a fleeing target).
- Movement creates distance versus pursuer and any others nearby.
- A lot harder to kill when sprinting.
- Always a chance your may play "cupid" with your pursuer and THEIR pursuer.
- Most players are usually not equipped to deal with a chase.

Cons

- You may very well end up running into another pursuer.
- If you don't know the map well enough, it's much more difficult to escape.
- It's easier to make mistakes thinking and moving quickly, like finding a reasonable hiding spot.
- You may be ill-equipped to deal with a chase.
- You need to identify your pursuer, and usually that only works if they are clumsy.

I usually end up trying to Cutpurse, simply because most of my dealings result in the near certainty everyone is carrying a smoke bomb, and thusly may expect you to stand your ground. Of course it doesn't always work when they get the silent kill on you...

beacuase...
01-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Isn't a stun 100 points for an escape, and then 200 points for a stun? For me it always comes up like:

ESCAPE, 100 points
=100
STUN, 200 POINTS
=200

I think. Dunno.

GAOStarr
01-19-2011, 02:51 AM
You do get 100 Points for an escape if your Pursuer has remained in High Profile long enough and initiated a Chase.

But if your know who your pursuer is, but they haven't started a Chase, you stunning them will only earn you 200 Points for the stun without the extra 100 Points for the Escape.

When I read the post, I assumed it meant stunning before a Chase begins versus starting a Chase by Fleeing once you know who your pursuer is.

I might be wrong (about the post, not the Stun/Escape Points), but that's the way I read it.

Airwinz
01-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Im abit of both to be honest my play style changes depending on the other players

Rainie
01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Mugger without a doubt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

The Arsassin
01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Definitely a Mugger, though my smoke always seems be on cooldown and i'll just stupidly walk up to my (obvious) pursuer and get countered. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

arkadye
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
If I run I make the chase a short one, get into a hiding spot fast, or a group then morph them and let my pursuer play NPC Russion Roulette with 5 live chambers.

Gabelous01
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Well it is all situational. Fleeing implies you are aware of your pursuer's presence but have yet to trigger a Chase. So if you stun you only get 200 points, I dare say someone would be daft enough to attempt to trigger a Chase and THEN try to stun them. But assume the whole situation can go down without any chase triggering at all.

I only try to trigger chases simply because (as the poll so far shows) people are much more apt to try for a stun, and that's almost impossible without a smoke bomb. Unless your pursuer has a horrible connection or is really stupid.

I do that to such the degree when I close to target I always assume they have a smoke bomb and will attempt to "kite" around their general location to force them to hit the smoke bomb before I am in range. Usually then I move away/stay away and wait for it to dissipate.

tastemyfreedom
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Mugger. Even to my detriment at times.

EQWashu
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
definitely Mugger! If I'm gonna make a scene, better with Mute/Smoke/Firecracker than running around triggering a chase with *my* target, or running into the waiting arms of another peruser.

Also, the part about the "Pursuer might not be equipped to chase you", thats almost never the case. Whether is Sprint Boost, Gun, or the boost that increases speed while chasing someone, I've always had someone ready to chase me down if I fled. Only in rare occasions or Defensive-friendly maps (like both of the Mont St Michel maps - close offense on those maps are a pain) will I successfully escape from a chase without dying by either my chaser or another person who has me as their target.

When I read the name of this thread I thought they were the names of possible new personas lol I was gonna scream "Make a botanist persona!" super loud http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stilteman
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
Mugger without a doubt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
lol why did i know rainie would say mugger http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

DeanOMiite
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm a mugger, no doubt about it. I grab myself a little rapid reload mute, overall cooldown perk with reset cooldown loss streak so i basically always have it at the ready. I think that setup gives me a mute every 70-80 seconds and of course has the added caveat of the reset loss streak. So I can earn a crap-ton of points on defense this way. And to take it one step further, if you're being Johnny-Obvious and walking up to me, I'm sprinting right at you, hitting mute, and punching you in the face. I'm not waiting for you to make a move. I don't hit back...I hit FIRST.

(post edited to correct typo)

obliviondoll
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm neither.

Or both.

As the situation and my luck dictates.

I sometimes run and try to force the chase, sometimes go for the smoke+stun (or straight stun if I don't have smoke and think I can get away with it), and sometimes take the "sitting duck" route of just letting myself die (usually an "I deserved that" moment where I've done something really ******ed that revealed me when close to my pursuer)

El Zo1212o
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I suppose the fact that I've got a profile set called "RUNAWAAY" speaks for itself- stunning has always been an issue for me. Matter of fact, I'd say 95% of my stuns were all stunning hunters in manhunt after getting a lure, or cleaning up after a partner got killed.

makafrog
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I stun like ElZo, or depending on the map I may bring smoke... but sprinting is great fun, sometimes I just haul through a map and try to pick up pursuers. Nothing beats a triple escape.

LibertyTree34
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Mugger, although there were at least 3 recent instances where my attacker walked right through my smoke bomb and stabbed me. This is a serious anger inducer.

berm87
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Mugger. Relying on Catpurse strategies seems more likely to result in clumsiness and mistakes. Plus, with sprinting, there's a chance that you initiate a chase with your own target, which either means that you let them escape or dash after them for a pathetic 100 points.

Additionally, if you're blended or hidden, you can look around you without the added handicap of trying to appear like an NPC.

However, when I encounter those who use the mugger protocol, I've found that generally you can time it so that you can assassinate them before they deploy their smoke bomb. In the situations I'm unsure about, I'll use mute first.

EQWashu
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LibertyTree34:
Mugger, although there were at least 3 recent instances where my attacker walked right through my smoke bomb and stabbed me. This is a serious anger inducer.

that and when your attacker is *right* on the edge of your smoke bomb's radius http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

DannyStrong
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
it depends on the situation. If the pursuer is alone I'll mug him, if theres a group I'll send out a decoy if I have one, then run towards the closest chase breaker.

Stuns generally aren't worth it if you get killed right after, as your killer will usualyl end up with 300 or so points (possibly more if they have poison)

however if there is a few of my teamates in a group with me, we'll all smoke and stun. It's all really a numbers thing, if your outnumbered then run.

Gabelous01
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by EQWashu:

Also, the part about the "Pursuer might not be equipped to chase you", thats almost never the case. Whether is Sprint Boost, Gun, or the boost that increases speed while chasing someone, I've always had someone ready to chase me down if I fled. Only in rare occasions or Defensive-friendly maps (like both of the Mont St Michel maps - close offense on those maps are a pain) will I successfully escape from a chase without dying by either my chaser or another person who has me as their target.

When I read the name of this thread I thought they were the names of possible new personas lol I was gonna scream "Make a botanist persona!" super loud http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What I meant by "most players are ill-equipped to deal with chases" is two points.

1. The "mugger-heavy" population seems imply and assume the prey will take a stand and attempt to stun you. At that rate, if you pull an escape maneuver (even if you don't initiate a chase sequence) has a much better chance of surprising your pursuer, buying you some time to make the escape more successful. Of course you could do more, like play it cool and feign ignorance and lure him/her into a situation where you can stun much more easily without the need for loud firecrackers or obvious smoke bombs.

2. Most players may not be carrying any of the tools that make catching a target easier. Things like throwing knives, wall-climber, the gun, may not be carried by players right off the bat. Not only will they have to deal with a Chase without any inherent advantages to slow you down, but now they may have lost a couple of seconds figuring out why you didn't do what most people assume and that bought you distance and time. And even then they may decide to start carrying one or two of those tools next respawn, and that just means they have to lose something they are used to using.

You may prefer the smoke-bomb scene, but I wouldn't. Mainly because if you are higher up and have more than one pursuer there is always the chance one of the other ones are close by. And if they know you well enough they will wait for you to pull your smoke-bomb stun on the first one and move into possible to kill you before you have a chance to run away.

What are the odds? Probably slim to none, but it isn't the point. You DO remember the times someone shived you after you stun your first pursuer, confident you got away...

xcamthemandudex
01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Can't I be a Purse-Mugger? I tend to lead them into a chase, break LoS, throw on a disguise or morph, and then stun them when they aren't paying attention.

nightpriestess
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Definitely a mugger, I suck when it comes to running in chases. I usually get pwned by another pursuer I didn't see nearby or the one chasing me caught up because I fail at parkour.

Now, if I have multiple pursuers, my stuff is on cool down, and they're closing in on my blend spot, I'll just run away until the whispers disappear.

papartusedmcrsk
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Due to the fact that in a chase the pursuer can jump over the catherdral in Mont St. Michel to kill their target, I try to be a Mugger at all times.