PDA

View Full Version : few Noob questions on realistic..

vlieg1982
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
- Why is padlocking not realistic ? its allmost
imposible to track a fighter with your hotas or
mouse (yes yes a know there is IR track but to
expencive for me )and in
my eye a pilot always look to its
target so turn it on !
- are there no ripple bombs mode on plains so your
not dropping all your bombs on the same time
(high level bombing)more change to hit a target
a chess ...

vlieg1982
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
- Why is padlocking not realistic ? its allmost
mouse (yes yes a know there is IR track but to
expencive for me )and in
my eye a pilot always look to its
target so turn it on !
- are there no ripple bombs mode on plains so your
not dropping all your bombs on the same time
(high level bombing)more change to hit a target
a chess ...

zjulik
02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
>>its allmost
mouse

It`s impossible like riding a bike is impossible. Practise man.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Padlock is disabled on most 'full-real' servers because it practically eliminates the ability to stalk your prey ot take advantage of his lesser ability to see/find you.

As was stated, practice in an online room is the best way to learn and improve your situational awareness, but a few standard pointers:

don't fly level and straight for more than 10 seconds at a time

keep your head on a swivel. Don't look mainly through your front windscreen.

Assume every bandit always has a wingman

always bring a wingman.

use coms whenever possible. Another set of eyes could save your bacon or get you an easy kill.

try to dictate the rules of engagement. If you're not, your lifespan will be quite short.

Try not to climb into a fight. engage only when co-'E' or higher.

TB

vocatx
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
For quite a long time I used a combination of the hatswitch and number pad for looking around. A friend of mine is one of the deadliest pilots on Warbirds of Prey servers used the same until he got Track IR a couple of weeks ago. Now he's a real menace! Point is, Track IR is nice, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Like it was stated above: PRACTICE.

Pig_Mac
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I've used mouse too look around for a long time, with hatswitch in fixed veiws for the quick checkups. Then I put myself on a 1 month starvation program by buying a TrackIR. It's worth every penny!

Check http://www.dreyermachine.com/il2/ If you're complaining about views .. he sure have them under control.

Padlock servers are even worse then cockpitless ones, there is nothing realistic about any aspect of the two! Since we don't have 6DOF in the game we just have to suffer with the limits of the current cockpit views, and some of them we can use to our advantage, while evading or gaining on someone(unexpected turns while being chased by a 190 anyone?.

Easiest (but least available on DF servers) advice is: don't fly alone.

danjama
02-20-2006, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zjulik:
&gt;&gt;its allmost
mouse

It`s impossible like riding a bike is impossible. Practise man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Xiolablu3
02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
If you want a good server with padlock enabled try UKdedicated 1/2. Amazing servers despite padlock being enabled.

I sort of agree that if someone is not used to their hat switch and doesnt have track IR, it can be very awkward and you could say that using padlock is a little like simply moving your head (although you are garunteeed to see the plane every time with padlock where you may miss it when looking.) I know this is a controversial opinion, but if you are not enjoying the game because of this then use the padlock button, no worries.

georgeo76
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't see why there is a problem with padlock view. It seems odd to me that when 'ratcheting down realism' externals are preferential to padlock.

VW-IceFire
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I like padlock. I wouldn't like it if we all had virtual reality rooms and could actually sit in the cockpits and have full 360 view with peripheral vision...but no http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

antifreeze
02-20-2006, 08:31 PM
If you can afford another cheap joystick, I find NewView works very well. It is a simple dll file, which emulates trackIR. It allows you to use one of the sticks for looking around, whilst you fly with the other one. I have always found it very intuative.

Jumoschwanz
02-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Simply, padlock lets you "lock-on" to objects you might otherwise never see, so it does not fit in with the full-realistic virtual pilots idea of "roughing it" like they did in WWII and depending on eyes and brains to find and look for targets.

Track IR is a waste of money, no one needs it. All you have to do is set your hat-switch and one base button up a certain way, and you can do as well as anyone with any gimmicky piece of hardware.

Using just this sim and a microsoft precision2, I don't have any problem tracking any target or flying against anyone in this community.

I left you a private message with my e-mail, if you want some information on setting up your stick like mine is, and some tracks on what can be done with it. I have sent them to a number of virtual pilots, and they have always gave rave reviews to them.

No one has ever had an edge on me in any fight with track IR, period, and ninety percent of them I can fly circles around.

Jumoschwanz

Xiolablu3
02-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Also, I have read a lot of aces dont use the hat switch but use the numpad keys to look around.
Once you get used to these you can switch to any view instantly without having to do everything with your joystick hand.

I dont use it cos I use those keys for other things right now, but I can see how it would be easier than trying to fly with your hand and use your thumb to look around.

elphifou
02-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Well, I'm not an ace, but I do use the numpad keys to look around too.
I feel using the hat switch is way too much of a hassle when it comes to views, for sure.
But again, each to his own.

Jumoschwanz
02-21-2006, 01:40 PM
You will always be at a disadvantage until you can find a setup that will let you have one hand on the stick and one on the base buttons.

The only thing I have to go to the keyboard for is for things like landing and minor engine adjustments and stuff. I have all my views, flaps and weapons on the stick, so in the heat of battle I don't have to fumble around with anything.
I wish you could see the way this works for me, I do not even have to think to fly, and with both hands on the stick, It is super stable.

Having to reach for and manipulate a keyboard while you are in a fight will do you in and make you waste a lot of time, fractions of a second the other guy with a better setup will use against you and gain on you because he can work all his critical controls with no delay and no thinking.

If you have one hand on the stick and one somewhere else, be it a mouse, keyboard or another stick, you will never make the cut against the top aces, they will always have an edge on you and be able to shoot you down more than you can shoot them.

Jumoschwanz

elphifou
02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
mmm... then it might be that I'm not an ace precisely because I use the numpad keys !

Just kidding http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your advice. I'll think about it.

jds1978
02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
no track IR here and i never use my hatswitch (my hands are too small)....

it is completely possible to fly full real and use your numpad/mouse as a viewing aid.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

jds1978
02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Also, I have read a lot of aces dont use the hat switch but use the numpad keys to look around.
Once you get used to these you can switch to any view instantly without having to do everything with your joystick hand.

I dont use it cos I use those keys for other things right now, but I can see how it would be easier than trying to fly with your hand and use your thumb to look around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif