PDA

View Full Version : Question about Type 91 torpedo wake

Wildnoob
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
hello!

folks, I've read that alongside with it's superior realiability, range and performance early in the war in comparison with the allied models, the type 91 torpedo would also be oxygen-propelled witch don't leave a wake. I don't get any detalied informations, and seems to me that in IL2 the type 91 is exactly as visible as the allied MK-13, altough we don't have a early and late MK-13.

please, can anyone explain this in pratical terms, it could be a feature not modelated in the sim?

Wildnoob
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
hello!

folks, I've read that alongside with it's superior realiability, range and performance early in the war in comparison with the allied models, the type 91 torpedo would also be oxygen-propelled witch don't leave a wake. I don't get any detalied informations, and seems to me that in IL2 the type 91 is exactly as visible as the allied MK-13, altough we don't have a early and late MK-13.

please, can anyone explain this in pratical terms, it could be a feature not modelated in the sim?

Zeus-cat
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I believe the torpedo has to be electric to not leave a wake. Expelled oxygen would leave a wake.

Since ships do not take evasive action there really is no practical reason to have wakeless torpedoes in the game. Granted, it would be historically accurate, but I like seeing wakes.

Wildnoob
09-11-2009, 06:23 PM
nahhhhhh, SORRY!

I was very wrong, the oxygen type ones who don't leave a wake in fact existed and work by the following way:

"Japan's research focused on using compressed oxygen instead of compressed air for its propulsion oxidizer, feeding this into an otherwise normal wet-heater engine. Air is only about 21% oxygen, so a torpedo using compressed oxygen instead of air would hold about five times as much oxidizer in the same size tank. This meant that the torpedo could travel farther and faster. Additionally, uncombusted normal air, principally nitrogen, bubbled to the surface and left a trail pointing back at the launcher. With oxygen, the gas was almost completely burned and left an almost invisible bubble trail."

but those are not aerial torpedos, are the type 93 and 95 conventional ones.

type 93 torpedo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_torpedo

type 95: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_95_torpedo

would like to apologize for this horrible mistake, should had research before open this tread.

general_kalle
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
i believe the way the wake appears in SH3 would be more accurate than the wegde shaped wake we get in IL2.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/general_kalle/GCS0037.jpg

Lt_Letum
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ssed oxygen instead of compressed air for its propulsion oxidizer, feeding this into an otherwise normal wet-heater engine. Air is only about 21% oxygen, so a torpedo using compressed oxygen instead of air would hold about five times as much oxidizer in the same siz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, although both IL2 and the SH series
torpedo wakes are too predictable.

Torpedo and ship wakes, depending on conditions,
can dissipate almost instantly or stay marked on
the water for more than an hour.