PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Flyboys

BaylorMax
09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi, all,

Well, I took a Friday afternoon off and went to see Flyboys. I enjoyed the movie for the aircraft and air combat scenes if nothing else. The plot was nothing special. Sort of Beau Geste with a bit of a love story, and a hokey love story at that. I think that I went to whiz during the great love scene and I was not the only middle aged man to do so!

You'll love the aircraft. Neuport 17's, Fokker Triplanes, Handley Paige Bombers, Gotha Bombers, SE5a's and others.

Oh, and I liked Whiskey, the lion mascot of the Lafyette Esquadrille. All in all, I thought the technical details were very well done. I just wish the script had been less formula.

All in all, I recommend the movie for the aircraft and combat scenes if for nothing else. Oh, the score and scinematography were well done as was the digitally modeled image of the Aquitania.

Now if we could just get a new WW1 game before Christmas..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BaylorMax
09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi, all,

Well, I took a Friday afternoon off and went to see Flyboys. I enjoyed the movie for the aircraft and air combat scenes if nothing else. The plot was nothing special. Sort of Beau Geste with a bit of a love story, and a hokey love story at that. I think that I went to whiz during the great love scene and I was not the only middle aged man to do so!

You'll love the aircraft. Neuport 17's, Fokker Triplanes, Handley Paige Bombers, Gotha Bombers, SE5a's and others.

Oh, and I liked Whiskey, the lion mascot of the Lafyette Esquadrille. All in all, I thought the technical details were very well done. I just wish the script had been less formula.

All in all, I recommend the movie for the aircraft and combat scenes if for nothing else. Oh, the score and scinematography were well done as was the digitally modeled image of the Aquitania.

Now if we could just get a new WW1 game before Christmas..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p-11.cAce
09-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm going here in a little bit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Doolittle81
09-23-2006, 06:44 PM
SPOILER [ I always warn readers of Movie Review posts that parts of the story/plot or other features of a movie might be revealed. Read at your own risk]:

I saw it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But, beware...it is Not a sophisticated Screenplay/story. It is very formulaic in terms of all the expected stereotypical characters showing up:
The Evil black-dressed, of course, Bad Guy(aircraft is Black)

The rich upperclass prejudiced guy

The 'complex' hard core War Lover-hater, the killing machine guy.

The minority guy.

The blue-collar, good-hearted guy just doing his duty...

The coward, of course.

The "Nice" guy...virginal, doesn't drink, reads the Bible constantly guy.

Ther's a few others...you'll recognize them.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed the combat flying scenes... CGI throughout which makes it look a bit artificial of course...but somewhat exciting, if usually predictable.

All the bad guys planes look the same: RED Richtofen triplanes EVERYwhere. Well there are a few other types, and of course the Man-in-Black (and I don't mean Johnny Cash)!

Planes (Not real, of course!!!) fly VERY close together...VERY CLOSE. Obviously they wanted lots of planes in the Camera's view/frame, but...it's odd looking.

A significant number of technical oddities/mistakes, but once the movie is rolling along, I knew they would be there so I just ignored them so I could enjoy the basic, very basic, story....

There are three totally LAUGHABLE plot contrivances...HOLLYWOOD to the extreme...Think Pilot actually "IN" the trenches!!!! How the hell could that happen, you ask?? Go see the movie! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's a very simple story/movie told failry well, simple and strightforward. No real surprises. Well, there is one! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif...You'll definitely know it when you see it! PURE Hollywood!

This movie could have been an Academy Award nominee fpr Best Picture if this were 1935! Times were much simpler then!

I never bit a fingernail, I never laughed out loud, I never sensed a tear welling up in my eye...and, yes, I did take a Peeebreak during the 'love' scene! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ohh...in spite of all the above, it is MUCH better, imho, than "Pearl Harbor" with Ben Affleck!

Today, I give it a "B"...or a 78 on a scale of 0-100...and I will watch it again when it comes out on DVD.

Bearcat99
09-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I enjoyed it.. but I had my issues with it. Ill still buy the DVD though.....

NekoReaperman
09-23-2006, 08:31 PM
i'm sure pilots crashed in and around the trenches all the time, so one diving into one is not totally strange....

BSS_CUDA
09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I enjoyed it.. but I had my issues with it. Ill still buy the DVD though..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

x2

WWMaxGunz
09-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Someayuns go out and find a copy of Hell's Angels, okay?

luftluuver
09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NekoReaperman:
i'm sure pilots crashed in and around the trenches all the time, so one diving into one is not totally strange.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You want to believe it.

A link with lots of WW1 a/c photos, http://www.earlyaviator.com/archive1.htm

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Saw it tonight.

1. Enjoyable

2. Good to see a new WWI flick

3. Too many Dr.1's

4. Would have liked to have seen a bit more 'tactical' stuff in a 3 1/2 hour movie.

5. A bit predictable

6. I'll still buy it on DVD

TB

PBNA-Boosher
09-23-2006, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
Someayuns go out and find a copy of Hell's Angels, okay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the NA&S Museum in DC, they play it in a loop!
I'll be seeing the film when I get home in a few days, and probably buying it on DVD as well.

Divine-Wind
09-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I haven't seen it yet (and prolly won't for a while, since we're all kind of sick ATM), but I'm going to take a wild guess at the some of the plot (not necessarily in chronological order):
The British guy who's punched gets shot down, about half the American squadron members get killed throughout the movie, the main character is downed eventually, and has to fight his way through lots of bad guys to get back home to his love.

How far off am I? (If only half of that ^^ happens, then I'll be surprised)

Worf101
09-24-2006, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
I haven't seen it yet (and prolly won't for a while, since we're all kind of sick ATM), but I'm going to take a wild guess at the some of the plot (not necessarily in chronological order):
The British guy who's punched gets shot down, about half the American squadron members get killed throughout the movie, the main character is downed eventually, and has to fight his way through lots of bad guys to get back home to his love.

How far off am I? (If only half of that ^^ happens, then I'll be surprised) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Errr very far off actually. None of the above happened. Actuallyt he Brit who fights the Black guy is the first to welcome them to the "club". I told it wasn't THAT sterotypical.

Da Worfster

Divine-Wind
09-24-2006, 11:59 AM
I will definitely see this then.

VF51_Flatspin
09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Is the evil man in a black plane supposed to represent Hermann Goering?

DuxCorvan
09-24-2006, 01:07 PM
IRL, Goering flew a white D.VII.

VF51_Flatspin
09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Before the D.VII he flew black winged Albatrosses though.

huggy87
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
It's easy to be a WW1 nerd and scoff at the technical flaws of the movie, but if it gets more people interested in the subject matter then who cares. The aerial heroes of ww1 were as big a media sensation in the 20's and 30's as cowboys were in the 50's and 60's and action heroes are today. Although far fetched, it was kind of a nostalgiac 30's pulp comic adventure that both my grandfather and I could appreciate.