PDA

View Full Version : Radio Log?

baggygreen
10-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Gday everybody,

I was reading some posts about getting mods increasing the volume of radio chatter, and when i was having a look on the uboot.realsimulation website, I found 4 different radio mods. Which one is the best of those? Chrystine mentioned one involving radio reports to and from other uboats at sea, that sounds decent..

Cheers
baggy

baggygreen
10-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Gday everybody,

I was reading some posts about getting mods increasing the volume of radio chatter, and when i was having a look on the uboot.realsimulation website, I found 4 different radio mods. Which one is the best of those? Chrystine mentioned one involving radio reports to and from other uboats at sea, that sounds decent..

Cheers
baggy

ILikePortillos
10-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Whichever one you get, you might want to consider going into the "messages_en.txt" file and "modifying the mod" so to speak (I'm assuming your messages are in English). The functionality is a cool addition to the game, but often the author's use of words is a bit. . .adolescent.

You can actually create your own messages, if you know of any timelines. Here's an example:

#Date (Begin Transmision) Time (Begin Transmision) Date (End Transmision) Time (End Transmision) "Message Type ( 0 = transmit once , 1 = transmit until received )" Probability (%) Retransmision Interval (minutes) @FROM@ ^TO^ Message content
19390903 1330 19390903 2005 1 100 20 @Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine@^Deutsche Seeverb√¬§nde^Commence hostilities against Britain forthwith.||Bdu

Just copy it, change the dates and times, fill in the "to", "from", "signature" and "body" and you're set. It's pretty cool to see something you wrote pop up there.

Kaleun1961
10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
As the ancient Chinese proverb goes, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it." I've tried some of those radio mods and find that all they do is slow down the game. I'll be in my boat, time compressed to get out to my patrol zone when a message will come in and knock my TC down. Interesting the first couple of times, maybe. However, it soon becomes bothersome having to reset your TC, only to have it knocked down again, and for what? All you get is nice messages that have absolutely no value in the game. You get reports of some U-boat engaging a convoy, but that convoy is not on the map; you can't go and join that battle. The only people I can see getting anything out of this is those who play in 1X and need something to break the monotony.

jmuhlman
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
actually, I may be the only one, but I like the radio mods...I can only find the ones for the begining of the war..I guess whoever did them stopped at some point? are they going to do any more? I know it stops the time compression, but that doesn't bother me...and I know that the convoy battles discussed in radio transmissions are not happening in the game, but they did happen in real life...so that's what makes it interesting to me...to know what happened in the real uboat world on the real day you are "playing" in the game...actually, the more radio messages the better, to me...cause this game does get a little boring, even if you are not playing at 1X....also, didn't Donetz send out things like messages on Christmas eve, etc...also sometimes messages and news from home... I wish someone would make a mod that covers the whole war...maybe I'll do it?! anyone can give me advice? I'd have to get my uboat history books out of storage...at the very least I am sick of BDU saying "keep up the good work!"

HW3
10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
You can check this thread at Subsim.com for information about the radio log mod. Radiolog Mod (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39101)

Bogoliubon
10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
radiolog124133.zip is the latest version with open frequency interception, reports from other u-boats, etc.

OT:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
As the ancient Chinese proverb goes, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it." QUOTE]

well, I am Chinese, never heard of this one though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

panthercules
10-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, I was really looking forward to using the "Funkmod", which appeared to be a German language version of an increased radio traffic mod - unfortunately, I think I've only seen maybe one message from this in the last several patrols, which seemed surprising since they were early war patrols and it seemed like there would be a number of such messages early on about the changing military and diplomatic situations and changes in policies about which ships to attack or not attack, etc.. I'm not sure why I'm seeing so little out of this - I would love to see more 'cause I think it really adds to the immersion.

jmuhlman
10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
yeah, the immersion factor..that's why I want more radio traffic. also I like the "radio broadcasts" you can play on the record player...this kind of mod means more to me than any other type of mod...
more radio traffic=more excitement to me. I feel like I'm part of a bigger "world"
I really wish you could actually interact with all the thingies in the radio room...like tuning the radio, and clicking on morse code sender...and above all the enigma machine! is there a way to get to the source code to do these things?!?!

ILikePortillos
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jmuhlman:
is there a way to get to the source code to do these things?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT's what I'm talking about! If UBI's going to move on to SH4, it would be nice if they'd release the tools to really get under the hood of this game and tweak the **** out of it. I mean, if they're not going to attempt to make any more money off it, they might want to let others do it for free. Maybe?

Kaleun1961
10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
There is a mod that has something to do with the Enigma, but it is all in German, so I can't say for sure what it is all about. It's listed in the mods at the Real Uboot site.

Kaleun1961
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bogoliubon:
radiolog124133.zip is the latest version with open frequency interception, reports from other u-boats, etc.

OT:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
As the ancient Chinese proverb goes, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it." QUOTE]

well, I am Chinese, never heard of this one though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's how I've heard it used many times in popular usage on the radio, etc. Who knows for sure where it came from? A lot of what is attributed to one source or another, who can say for sure?