PDA

View Full Version : P51d (and P51b P51c) temp gauge faulty?

FA_Whisky
03-12-2005, 08:14 AM
It seems that is is impossible to keep the engine- and oil temp in the green area. Even the AI can't do it(they do not overheat though). I noticed that you get an overheat message when all the gauges(exept coolant temp) are at their max(way over the read line). Are these gauges just for the looks and not for use like RPM and manifold pressure or are they programmed faulty. I have not yet looked at this for more planes yet.

Cragger
03-12-2005, 09:37 AM
All engine managment gauges are 'generic' to the nation's instrument system. The only ones that seem to be calibrated correctly to each aircraft are RPM and manifold pressure (Not always for MP) Radiator temp and oil temp, oil pressure, and fuel pressure just have a generic range per gauge, but it does appear that each aircraft has its different 'limits' programmed in, their just usually off the scale of the gauge'.

Also I've never figured out how aircooled engines have a radiator temp gauge.. I'm guessing this is in standing for the cylinder head temperature gauge or maybe the return feed on the oil cooler.

But it doesn't make sense for it to be the cylinder head temperature gauge at least on how it works. For a liquid cooled engine oil temp raises and then radiator temp as the coolant is the final medium exchange for head dissipation.

But in any engine first cylinder head temperature raises and then oil as the oil is only dissipating for the majority frictional heat where the cylinder is taking frictional and chemical heat from detonation.

GreyBeast
03-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Cragger,

I understood the last part about "detonation" (ka-boom), could you run the rest by me again, please...?

Just joking! Over and out...

ColoradoBBQ
03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
No, the temp gauge is not faulty. The green zone on the coolant gauge is where the coolant used is the most effective; go above or below it and you're in trouble. You should use both the oil pressure gauge and the coolant gauge to check if your engine is close to overheating.

FA_Whisky
03-14-2005, 09:48 AM
But still, it os not possible to keep engine temp en oil temp in the green zone. Not even wehn you run the engine at idle on the runway.

Chuck_Older
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
real P-51s can overheat on the tarmac quite easily; it's why they had 'engine start times' assigned

Philipscdrw
03-14-2005, 11:29 AM
This is probably the most significant difference between Il-2 series and real-world flying - in the real world, for most of the cruise you're navigating and making sure the engine is happy and economical. Even in a motorglider, that's what you're doing in the cruise. In Il-2, if you're cruising at 80% or so, you'll be fine, and the gauges aren't to be relied on.

Oleg has stated, at least twice, and several months apart, that complex (MSFS-level) engine procedures aren't worth his time, because a) it takes a long time to do and b) most people won't use it more than once anyway. Personally, I would always use a full start-up (except when online, perhaps) and even on a dogfight map, I spend a lot of time flying around with no aircraft in sight, when some engine gauges would be good to keep me company...