PDA

View Full Version : Mission randomness for BoB [again]

Jetbuff
04-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Just restating my wish for some means to code mission randomness into the mission file for BoB. e.g. give various objects a % chance of appearing and grouping several objects into a group whereby only one member of that group is displayed whenever the mission is run ALA Jane's F/A-18. This would tremendously increase the replayability factor of single missions.

FltLt_HardBall
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
You can sort-of do that already for scripted campaigns, but not many campaign builders use the feature. You make 2 or 3 missions the same, but change a few variables such as weather, what enemies turn up and when and where. Then in the campaign.ini file you list the missions side-by-side, and the game engine chooses one at random. It's in the mission-building section of the manual - check it out.

I only discovered this in the early days when playing a scripted mission... I died the first time, and when I replayed the weather was different! I was thinking, "I must watch out for the bandits this time, and they never showed up! So, it's not a trigger like in CFS2, but it may give you what you're looking for. Hope it helps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jetbuff
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks Hardball. I am familiar with that workaround but I was specifically referring to creating a single mission/coop with the same replay value. It would be a great feature considering some of the effort that goes into some missions - a shame they should their lustre after only one fly through coz you know what you're going to get.

FltLt_HardBall
04-13-2005, 04:05 AM
True. However, I have noticed that there's a certain "butterfly effect" with some of the missions. I built a mission the other day where I was trying to get the AI to bomb a ship, and sometimes they would get the ship, and sometimes the flak would get them before they could sink the ship. In the same mission I had some Catalinas trying to fly away to safety, and the mission panned out quite differently depending on whether a Catalina got away, thereby dragging the enemy fighters and dive bombers along with it (and into the oncoming defending fighters), or if the the Catalinas were destroyed early, the attacking aircraft would return to base, resulting in an extended chase for the defending fighters.

Not saying it's perfect, but missions can be designed with at least a small amount of randomness.

Jetbuff
04-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Let me explain what I mean: can you design a "Search and Destroy" mission in FB? Well you can but it won't be much fun for the mission builder or anyone who flies it more than once becuase every time you fly it the target(s) will be in the same spot, travelling the same route, protected by the same number and type of units. Boring...

With packages/groups you could create a "target" group, then place several different targets of different composition at different locations on the map. You assign each clump to a package (e.g. "target_1", "target_2", etc.) and all the packages to the same "target" group. Then, when you play the mission the game randomly loads only one member package from the entire group. The more the packages and groups the more the possibilities, all within a single mission!

I've pretty much given up on anything like this for PF, so I just wanted to mention it for BoB.

F16_Sulan
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
I think they´ve mentioned (not sure though) triggers and events for BOB-mission builder.
That´d probably mean you can add such randomness, and I absolutely agree, it is needed.

FltLt_HardBall
04-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Jetbuff, I knew what you meant, and I agree with you - whilst there is an element of randomness in IL-2, it'd be nice to see something like what you have described for BoB. Roll on 2006