PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 10 for pre-Vista OSs??????

GerritJ9
08-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Seems that, according to www.fallingleafsystems.com, (http://www.fallingleafsystems.com,) this group is working on a DirectX 10 variant that will work on Microsoft's pre-Vista OSs- certainly on XP, probably on W2000, perhaps even on W98. IF it works, gamers won't have to upgrade to Vista to be able to enjoy the latest games to the full.

GerritJ9
08-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Seems that, according to www.fallingleafsystems.com, (http://www.fallingleafsystems.com,) this group is working on a DirectX 10 variant that will work on Microsoft's pre-Vista OSs- certainly on XP, probably on W2000, perhaps even on W98. IF it works, gamers won't have to upgrade to Vista to be able to enjoy the latest games to the full.

Gitano1979
08-02-2007, 02:43 AM
If it's true, it's a good news indeed!

Capt.LoneRanger
08-02-2007, 03:04 AM
It seems they are quite successfull with it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

On the other hand, the few games that were released with features for DX10 only were allready hacked. It turned out, there was a routine in the games, which tested for DX10. After this was simply disabled with a texteditor in a config-file, the game ran perfect under XP with DX9. I read that on a German games-magazine a few weeks ago.

GerritJ9
08-02-2007, 05:33 AM
I have downloaded the file from the site, which is an Alpha version, but not installed it yet. It consists of several additions which have to be pasted into C:\Windows\system32. I think I'll wait until a Beta is released before trying it, though. Still, it was interesting to have a first peek at what this consists of.

leitmotiv
08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I hope it works. What a relief if it does.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I hope it works. What a relief if it does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto

Capt.LoneRanger
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I hope it works. What a relief if it does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what a disgrace for Micro$oft, who still insist that only Vista supports DX10. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't know about disgrace but certainly it would make their marketing campaign for Vista (which was considerably hyped about being necessary for DX10 applications) look like bad marketing.

MS may need to get the Spin doctors on that one.

TB

Worf101
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I don't know about disgrace but certainly it would make their marketing campaign for Vista (which was considerably hyped about being necessary for DX10 applications) look like bad marketing.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not for a while, the spin doctors are too busy explaining why PC builders have gone back to installing XP as a option on new builds. They're also trying to figure out why Vista is not only NOT driving sales of the OS but of equipment either. This is quite honestly, the largest marketing disaster since New Coke.

Da Worfster

GerritJ9
08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
More on this on the PC PLus website:
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/news/home_news/directx_10_port_for_windows_xp_users

I especially like the last sentence: "If the project does end up offering anything approaching full functionality, Microsoft will have some serious explaining to do."

Rjel
08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
This is quite honestly, the largest marketing disaster since New Coke.

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had first hand experience of that one from a retail point of view. The constant news coverage was probably the greatest advertisement ( and certainly the cheapest) Coke has ever had. In talking to people from Coca-Cola in the years since, one has to wonder if the resurrection of Classic Coke wasn't what they wanted all along.
Maybe Microsoft has the same idea?

Capt.LoneRanger
08-02-2007, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not for a while, the spin doctors are too busy explaining why PC builders have gone back to installing XP as a option on new builds. They're also trying to figure out why Vista is not only NOT driving sales of the OS but of equipment either. This is quite honestly, the largest marketing disaster since New Coke.

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than that.

When it was clear that DX10 was only available for Vista, Micro$oft was charged for misusing its monopole position on the market. Their official excuse was, that routines DX10 is based upon were only included in Vista and couldn't be ported back to XP.

If DX10 works for XP by not even touching the basic code, they'll get a real big problem.

mortoma
08-02-2007, 02:31 PM
This is the best news I have heard for days, I will literally pray it's true.

zardozid
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I never understood why anyone was excited by Vista. Everything I heard about it over the years told me it was a turkey. Even if you ignore the DX10 issue, their is still the bloated nature of the basic operating system (I'm always trying to optimize XP for speed and minimize memorie use, and here they are adding program function's that are constantly running in the background and filling up my memorie sticks with their GEE-WIZ graphics). As soon as I heard about their digital copyright BS I knew they where in league with the devil (MPAA + Record Companys). I don't need them adding this kind of stuff to my computer. I don't hack stuff and give it away on the net, but I do believe in "FAIR USE".

Next they will be spying on me though my computer...

It's just another effort to make one world and one OS...

(thus ending my rant of the day...) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

staticline1
08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
If it is indeed true, and here's hoping it is, I wouldn't be supriesed if M$ tried to do what some of the recording artists did with napster, by going after the people that downloaded it and suing them. If it has to do with money don't think M$ won't try. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Well they're at it I hope they do something about the more than 2 gigs of ram in XP cause some performance issues thingy.

Scorpion.233
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
As soon as it's out, they won't be able to stop it.

What are they going to do? Delete the files from everybodies computer? It's not a service like Napster, so it's a lot harder to stop.

On topic, I've been kepping track of the project for quite a long time and there haven't been any significant updates on the state of the project for as far as I can recall. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Choctaw111
08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Worf101:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:

If DX10 works for XP by not even touching the basic code, they'll get a real big problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope they do run into a real big problem over this. I will not touch Vista but many people not in the know have gotten it, and some of them with open arms. XP is tried and proven after much time. A lot of times something great comes out and M$ finds a way to corner the market on it and force those that want it to put money in M$ coffers. Take HALO for instance which was being developed for the PC. Originally NOT a M$ product BUT M$ bought out the creators of HALO (Bungee), delayed the release of HALO to coincide with the release of the XBOX which was going to be the ONLY way to play HALO with NO PLANS for a PC release. Well, after M$ made their money on the XBOX they did finally sell HALO for the PC, like many of us knew they would. Now they are doing it with the sequel, HALO 2, ONLY AVAILABLE for PC on Windows VISTA. M$ has done it again!!! If you want the greatest new game that so many people gotta have, you have to buy something brand new from M$ to play it! M$ does this time and again. Is it brilliant marketing strategy or outright GREED?!!!! Since I have sons who love HALO I used this as an example but you be the judge. Marketing strategy or GREED?...
Sorry, I had to vent. Back on track I hope that DX10 will work out just fine on XP and that M$ gets themselves in a whole lot of hot water over it.

triad773
08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will not touch Vista but many people not in the know have gotten it, and some of them with open arms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I generally feel the same way. But in the capitalist tradition of planned obsolescence, it will be either Vista, or if not that, then Mac OS X or Linux as be sure- the people who make hardware (and software) and their drivers will make them only work with Vista.

I guess progress can be one step forward and two steps back sometimes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif