PDA

View Full Version : The Animus; view the past, change the past?

Abeonis
03-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Now, the extent of control one has whilst plugged into the Animus is ambiguous at best. To quote my own comments on the AC wiki;

As the user of the Animus was able to interact with the environment in which he was viewing the concept of synchronization was brought into play. Failure to follow the memories of an ancestor exactly often resulted in a temporary decrease in synchronization with said ancestor, and continual actions in this vain would lead to total de-synchronization; this in turn forced the user to reload the memory at an earlier point. The Animus was designed to put up barriers when the user attempted to interact with an environment the ancestor had not done so at that particular time in their life, and was also capable of ejecting the user in extreme cases of de-synchronization."

So as you can see, the Animus allows the user to interact with the environment to a certain degree, however synchronisation prevents him from accessing areas the original memory holder did not at that point in time. In ACII, the functionality of the Animus was increased, allowing for the creating of the economy system; this increases the amount of interaction with the past memory, and susceptability for change. Whose to say Ezio bought that painting before he killed Carlo, and not after, hmmm?

My point in this subject is as follows, for the next game it's a fair bet the Temples are going to be a major focus. It's also a fair bet that, following his experience in the Vault, Ezio will have begun searching for them as Desmond is in 2012. Clearly, Ezio or his descendants failed in their quest or else the story should end after the escape from the hideout, before even. So it got me a-thinking, in order to prevent an overly long game wherein we play as an assassin ancestor, and Desmond, both doing the same things, how about we introduce the idea of altering the past through genetic memories.

Hear me out before you comment, we've already seen that the Animus allows the users to alter the past in small ways. Ezio buying a painting at a different time, Alta´r approaching one of the Nine from a different path as proposed; it's there. Now, if we take the idea of synchronisation out then theoretically, there's nothing prevent Desmond from changing what he remembers his ancestor doing, and that in turn would affect what his ancestor actually did in the past. So Ezio would have bought that painting after killing Carlo, and not before. Alta´r will have approached Tamir from the ground, instead of using the scaffolding to strike from above. So in the next game, instead of jumping in and out of the Animus every two seconds, Desmond could simply view the memories of the ancestor that located the Temples, and instead of doing nothing, actually remember him into activating the Temples or whatever needed to be done.

What do you all think?

Abeonis
03-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Now, the extent of control one has whilst plugged into the Animus is ambiguous at best. To quote my own comments on the AC wiki;

As the user of the Animus was able to interact with the environment in which he was viewing the concept of synchronization was brought into play. Failure to follow the memories of an ancestor exactly often resulted in a temporary decrease in synchronization with said ancestor, and continual actions in this vain would lead to total de-synchronization; this in turn forced the user to reload the memory at an earlier point. The Animus was designed to put up barriers when the user attempted to interact with an environment the ancestor had not done so at that particular time in their life, and was also capable of ejecting the user in extreme cases of de-synchronization."

So as you can see, the Animus allows the user to interact with the environment to a certain degree, however synchronisation prevents him from accessing areas the original memory holder did not at that point in time. In ACII, the functionality of the Animus was increased, allowing for the creating of the economy system; this increases the amount of interaction with the past memory, and susceptability for change. Whose to say Ezio bought that painting before he killed Carlo, and not after, hmmm?

My point in this subject is as follows, for the next game it's a fair bet the Temples are going to be a major focus. It's also a fair bet that, following his experience in the Vault, Ezio will have begun searching for them as Desmond is in 2012. Clearly, Ezio or his descendants failed in their quest or else the story should end after the escape from the hideout, before even. So it got me a-thinking, in order to prevent an overly long game wherein we play as an assassin ancestor, and Desmond, both doing the same things, how about we introduce the idea of altering the past through genetic memories.

Hear me out before you comment, we've already seen that the Animus allows the users to alter the past in small ways. Ezio buying a painting at a different time, Alta´r approaching one of the Nine from a different path as proposed; it's there. Now, if we take the idea of synchronisation out then theoretically, there's nothing prevent Desmond from changing what he remembers his ancestor doing, and that in turn would affect what his ancestor actually did in the past. So Ezio would have bought that painting after killing Carlo, and not before. Alta´r will have approached Tamir from the ground, instead of using the scaffolding to strike from above. So in the next game, instead of jumping in and out of the Animus every two seconds, Desmond could simply view the memories of the ancestor that located the Temples, and instead of doing nothing, actually remember him into activating the Temples or whatever needed to be done.

What do you all think?

caswallawn_2k7
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
you are reliving the memory of your ancestors, the closer you stay to their path the more synced you get, if you go off the path too far you lose your synchronisation with the memory and so your access to it breaks.

so in theory you have no control over what you see, as you are forced to stick to the path given or just get kicked out, meaning since you are just looking at a memory you can never change anything as it will always have the same out come, you have some freedom leading up to major event as the memory path does have some wiggle room but in the end your locked into doing what has already happened.

ARandomKid
03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
*WARNING MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS IN THIS POST*

Yeah, you have to stick to what the ancestor did roughly. For example, in the part of AC2 where you tail Borgia, Dante, and the other two, you can't jump down from above and shove your hidden blade through Borgia's skull (and the others' while you're at it) even though it would solve a lot of future problems AND you have plenty of opportunities.

Jack-Reacher
03-18-2010, 12:33 AM
YOu seem to think the animus lets you go back in time some how.

You do not go back ni time, you are in a virtual enviroment reliving your ancestors memories. If you were to have gone back in time, even the smallest change from what Ezio did would have changed the future dramatically so we can assume this is not the case

bokeef04
03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
it's quite simple, if you buy the painting before killing Carlo, Ezio did, if you bought it after then Ezio bought it after, the Animus only reads memories, it doesn't have the ability to change the past, or the Templars wouldn't need the Assassins to begin with as they could just put their people in and change the past to suit them

Abeonis
03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
YOu seem to think the animus lets you go back in time some how.

You do not go back ni time, you are in a virtual enviroment reliving your ancestors memories. If you were to have gone back in time, even the smallest change from what Ezio did would have changed the future dramatically so we can assume this is not the case </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never once said anything like that, although in a sense it does allow on to travel through time in sense of view memories. Nothing I saaid mentioned Desmond leaving the present and appearing in the past so pleae don't assume I did.

I'm not talking about time travel (akin to the Back to the Future films), i'm talking about time manipulation (akin the the Denzel Washington film Deja Vu). You're all saying you have to do this, you have to do that; the point of my conversation is that that might not be the case.

Think of the first Animus scene in ACI, Desmond couldn't access the memory because he was confident enough, subconsciously, although after journey through the entire prelude he could access that memory. What if it's simple a case of Desmond not being confident enough in his skills to alter his ancestors actions though the Animus, or even unaware he can, period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
it's quite simple, if you buy the painting before killing Carlo, Ezio did, if you bought it after then Ezio bought it after, the Animus only reads memories, it doesn't have the ability to change the past, or the Templars wouldn't need the Assassins to begin with as they could just put their people in and change the past to suit them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it is known that the Animus allows the viewer (i.e. Desmond) to interact with the past. Desmond is controlling the actions of his ancestors, the games say as much. If he wasn't, the idea of synchronisation wouldn't be needed.

As for the Templars, I said that it would be a new development, so the Templars would be unaware of this avenue of manipulation. Indeed, it might even be that only Desmond, as one of the assassins with mixed blood, can do something like this.