PDA

View Full Version : B-25 flies funky

BaldieJr
10-27-2004, 01:22 PM
You can't climb with a full load IF you fly by the numbers (2100 rpm).

If you operate above 2100 RPM you can climb ever-so-slowly. Thats great, but in real life you'd wear an engine out trying to get to altitude.

Also, I can drop gear and flaps at 190mph without damage.

Either the tachometer is off, or the FM is.

BluesmanSF
10-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Hello Baldie Jr. If you are sure that those engine settings are for the B-25 we have in the PF, you should post a bug-report post in here:
PF@1c.ru

Im sure you Oleg or someone in 1.C will check this issue. I sent two e-mails to report bugs, and I got two responses for Oleg himself! Within a days! And Mr. Maddox told me that the bugs I reported were to be fixed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

So, I suggest to post an e-mail to 1.C...

Cheers!

BaldieJr
10-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks. Email sent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BfHeFwMe
10-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to drop them at those speeds? C-130 flaps can drop at 185 and 165 for gear, and that's speed it Knots, even faster. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Philipscdrw
10-28-2004, 02:26 AM
The cockpit placard says not to lower above 190mph.

Fennec_P
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
The maximum warnings always have a huge safety margin.

You shouldn't expect it to actually break off at 190mph.

BaldieJr
10-28-2004, 04:08 PM
170mph is the warning limit. flaps should be jamming at 190Mph

As for flight issues, either the fuel load is too heavy (should be 974 US gallons / approx 5,300 lbs) or the parafrags are way too heavy (40 x 23lbs = 923 lb bomb load).

Gross weight (full tank of gas + parafrags) should be around 27,282 lbs, which is less than the 31,000 lb gross weight of the B-25B's that Doolittle flew off the Hornet.

Basicly, with full fuel + 40 parafrags, I should have no problems getting off the deck of the Lexington http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Whats worse is trying to get the heaviest bomb load + full tanks off the ground. She just won't get up, and unless Oleg and the guys modeled the wieight of bomb-bay tank + wing tanks + a few gas cans behind the seat, she shouldn't be strugling so hard to get to altitude.

My last complaint: no depth charges and no glide torpedos http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BaldieJr
10-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh, and can't feather the props.

Osirisx9
10-29-2004, 02:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Oh, and can't feather the props. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baldie This is my favorite aircraft out of the entire sim and of all time. The performance does seem to be a little off. However I'm able to get the aircraft to takeoff at its maximum takeoff weight. The technic I use is:
1) Flaps set to takeoff
2) Firewall the throttle and wait until the engine rpm is at it max. I'm just going by listening to the engine instead of checking the actual rpm BTW
3)Release Brakes
4)durring the takeoff role rotate at 90mph and hold the nose wheel off the tarmac. The aircraft accelerates quickly to 120 mph.
5) hold that airspeed and just let the aircraft lift off the runway.
6) as soon as the aircraft indicates a positive rate of climb lower the nose and accelerate to 160 mph.
7) at 160 mph reduce flaps from takeoff to combat and accelerate 180 mph.
8) above 180 mph set flaps to 0 the and nail 190 mph. You should have a nice climb speed around 1200 feet per minute.

Hope this helps

RAF238thOsiris

Aaron_GT
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
BalideJr wrote:
"(40 x 23lbs = 923 lb bomb load)."

AFAIK that's the weight of the bomb but excludes the weight of the parachute assembly and presumably the dispenser in the bomb bay (AFAIK the bombs weren't directly attached to hooks in the bay like more conventional bombs). You're probably looking at more like a 2000lb weight for the parafrag load.

Aaron_GT
10-29-2004, 12:07 PM
"1)) Flaps set to takeoff
2) Firewall the throttle and wait until the engine rpm is at it max. I'm just going by listening to the engine instead of checking the actual rpm BTW
3)Release Brakes
4)durring the takeoff role rotate at 90mph and hold the nose wheel off the tarmac. The aircraft accelerates quickly to 120 mph.
5) hold that airspeed and just let the aircraft lift off the runway. "

I have some details on flying the B25 in a magazine somewhere. Apparently the manual states that you should not start a climb after takeoff until you have reached either 145mph or 145 knots (can't quite remember which) as this is the minimum safe speed should an engine fail.

BaldieJr
10-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys, but you aren't understanding.

You can climb with a full load if you run the guages in the red. You can't climb with a load if you run the guages in the green unless you use flaps.

The flaps should be jamming though.

So its just off. Sure, you can still fly her at max rpm and only have to cool the engines down every few minutes, but thats about as true-to-life as a flying cat.

I think the plane is too heavy or the engines aren't making enough power.

Also, the landing lights don't work, the cyl temps are zero when on autopilot, and the mix doesn't adjust.

And lastly, I can't fly off the Lexington with full fuel + parafrags even though the plane should be lighter than the B-25B's that took off from the Hornet.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 03:45 PM
"I think the plane is too heavy or the engines aren't making enough power."

People have suggested all planes act like they are a little heavier.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 04:07 PM
"And lastly, I can't fly off the Lexington with full fuel + parafrags even though the plane should be lighter than the B-25B's that took off from the Hornet."

Are you sure it will be lighter?

The B25Bs that Doolittle used were stripped of guns, crew, armour, etc. They carried an additional 370 gallons of fuel on top of semi-standard bomb bay tanks, and 2000lb of bombs (about how much the parafrag load should be with the additional weight of parachutes and dispensers).

I calculate that a 50 cal, plus mounts and ammo is probably about 70kg, and the Doolittle planes were stripped of 8 of these compared to the B25J, plus the tail turret was a lot lighter on the -B anyway.

The reported weight of the B25B for the Doolittle raid I have seen is 31,000 lbs. Empty for the -J is 21,1000 lbs, 33,000 normal loaded (already more than the Doolittle planes) and 41,800 max overload. The -J with parafrag load and 100% fuel is likely to be pretty much the same all-up weight as the Doolittle raiders, possibly a little more, possibly a little elss, depending on how much fuel 100% actually means (i.e. doesn't it include standard internal loads, or represent an amount including bomb bay tanks? The option of bomb bay tanks would be nice).

Zephey
10-30-2004, 06:41 PM
About the doodlittle thing. When there B-25s took off they had not only a moving Carrier, they also had a head wind. So they had that advantage, because in PF u are starting on a stationary carrier that normaly has no head wind.

KG26_Alpha
10-31-2004, 04:03 AM
S! All

One thing Ive noticed is that using combat flaps and elevator trim assists in keping it level when using the bombsite with level stabilizer on.
Something seems to "drag" the aircraft down with the stabilizer on and usually you can trim it out , but its impossible to do so in this aircraft.

Jippo01
10-31-2004, 05:57 AM
I wouldn't be very interested about the too low climb speeds of B-25 if it can perform several successive loops almost without any energy loss! FM is nowhere near right so what is the point of detailed FM discussion anyway?

Compare manouvering of Bf-110 (manouverable twin-engine fighter) to B-25 (clumsy medium bomber). And your opinion is???

-jippo