PDA

View Full Version : Should the IL2 be toughened up?

TonyEH
11-30-2004, 04:51 AM
In FB, the IL2 seems somewhat weak. It certainly doesn't seem to coincide with the stories of 109 and 190 pilots saying that they were very hard to bring down.

More plastic bomber than concrete bomber.

Tony

cueceleches
11-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Hmmm...I personally think the IL2 in FB actually is tough! At the moment I´m at my 14th Il2 mission, and still haven´t been shot down by enemy planes. Just heavy AAA has been able to make some serious damage, specially when attacking ships, which are particularly accurate and deadly. 109s have just been able to put some holes into my wings, but never enough to have to abort the mission. My rear gunner usually performs well in sniping bogeys´ engines.

TonyEH
11-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Ah well, thats cos the AI are rubbish.

What I mean is when you're in a 109 or 190 and shooting at the IL2. They seem to go down very easy.

Far easier than a LaGG!!!!!!!!

Tony

Opiate364
11-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Whenever I go after a flight of Il2's, I use up most of my ammo just bringing 1 or 2 down.

I'd have to say that many factors of real dog fighting cannot be simulated. For example, you cannot simulate a sweating palm on the control stick, or the loud beating in your ears from your heart becuase you are nervous, excited, scared, and exhilerated all at the same time.

sy-subrc
11-30-2004, 08:35 AM
I don't think it's too weak - use an early 109 (those without without the big guns) and you can unload allmost your complete ammo towards the il-2 before that **** thing stops flying...

sithgod
11-30-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't think they are weak. Now and again I have brought one down quickly by hitting its tail. Other times i empty my guns into them and they keep flying.

WOLFMondo
11-30-2004, 09:54 AM
There incredibly tough planes but they seem very structurally weak vs .50's but they can soak up anything else, even several 30mm hits. The early versions which are lighter are great fun to take into a furball as there almost unstoppable unless you get a good front or side hit to get a pilot kill.

Ruy Horta
11-30-2004, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonyEH:
In FB, the IL2 seems somewhat weak. It certainly doesn't seem to coincide with the stories of 109 and 190 pilots saying that they were very hard to bring down.
Tony <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Il-2 wasn't hard to bring down when it was a single seater, it became a tougher cookie when its strength was combined with a rear gunner.

Statistically, IIRC, the Il-2 is also the most shot down a/c of WW2, besides being the most build one...

Combine more than average armor protection with a tailgunner, flying at low altitude in formation, this would be a difficult target for any fighter type.

The question however would be:

Was the IL2 significally less likely to be shot down compared to other types of the same profile, like the Su-2 for instance. The answer might surprise you.

However the Il-2 was the right a/c at the right time, ready to be mass produced and thrown into combat.