PDA

View Full Version : Wildcats

J30Vader
11-20-2004, 10:29 PM
My memory may of failed me. I was looking at that site that lists all the ammo for the various planes. It lists the 6 gun Wildcat as having the firing time as the 4 gun.

I read long ago that putting six guns in the plane actually reduced how long it could fire as it carried as many bullets, but now divided among six guns instead of four.

As I recall, many pilots were not thrilled by the change.

Tater-SW-
11-20-2004, 11:50 PM
You are correct. the 4 gun planes had 31 secons of firing time (from memory, need to check to be sure) vs 18 seconds in the 6 gun versions. The most produced Wildcat was the FM-2, and it had 4 guns for that reason.

The 6 guns were only there because the LFeet Air Arm requested them, and Grumman didn;t want 2 production lines. The USN pilots hated the 6 gun versions.

BTW, the outer 2 guns should be set to fire on the cannon button since they frequently reserved the 2 guns instead of firing all 6.

tater

J30Vader
11-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks. Now I wonder if it will ever get corrected. If not, it isn't a game killer.

Fliger747
11-21-2004, 11:50 AM
The F4F-4 was initially unpopular for several reasons. one of them was the addition of extra guns, folding wings etc. increased the WEIGHT. Weight was the enemy of the F4F, decreasing climb and manuverability.

However, given the vunerability of the zeke to a few well placed shots, the increase in firepower made the chances of a high angle snapshot being fatal to the enemy much greater. With folding wings, more could be carried aboard, numbers have their own 'quality'.

Compromises!