PDA

View Full Version : Changing default British Roundels to British Pacific Fleet type with bars ?

nearlymen
10-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi,
A small request if anyone is clever enough to implement it !
The default roundels for British Royal Navy aircraft in Pacific fighters are the early far east type i.e. the normal roundel minus the red centre. What I€d like to do is change this so that the default markings for the Royal Navy are the later type with the Bars added and the markings in the standard American positions on the wings (upper port and lower starboard). Does anyone know how to edit the default markings to achieve this, is there a particular file I can edit ? I had a look through the various files in the Ubisoft folder after install and couldn€t see anything that was obvious.
I€d love to make up some British pacific Fleet scenarios but this little thing irritates me and I don€t want to make up individual skins complete with markings, it would be easier if I could just change the defaults.

Cheers

nearlymen
10-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi,
A small request if anyone is clever enough to implement it !
The default roundels for British Royal Navy aircraft in Pacific fighters are the early far east type i.e. the normal roundel minus the red centre. What I€d like to do is change this so that the default markings for the Royal Navy are the later type with the Bars added and the markings in the standard American positions on the wings (upper port and lower starboard). Does anyone know how to edit the default markings to achieve this, is there a particular file I can edit ? I had a look through the various files in the Ubisoft folder after install and couldn€t see anything that was obvious.
I€d love to make up some British pacific Fleet scenarios but this little thing irritates me and I don€t want to make up individual skins complete with markings, it would be easier if I could just change the defaults.

Cheers

-HH- Beebop
10-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Sorry, you can't change the defaults. they are hard coded into the game.
Besdies, skinning can be fun and addictive. Who knows, you may be the next (place name of your favorite skinner here).
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but this little thing irritates me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is such a small thing really. Don't let the little things irritate you. After all, we are flying the best WW II prop sims ever made.

I'm going to have some kaffe now.

MssrSchmidt
10-30-2004, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
This _is_ such a small thing really. Don't let the little things irritate you. After all, we _are_ flying the best WW II prop sims ever made.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easy to dismiss concerns about such things. But I think concerns about the visual presentation of the game are as important as any other concern. People complain about all sorts of things, big and small. Some I couldn't give a fig about, I'm sure.

This is, indeed, a spectacular sim. But there are some glaring errors in the markings; something you'd think would be addressed with the same attention to historical accuracy that's accorded many other aspects of the sim.

I, like nearlymen, would prefer to see the proper markings when, for example, I look at the planes lined up to my left or right on the carrier deck.

Custom skins are an answer to a certain degree, but not an easy fix in the case of, for example, DGen campaigns.

To the original question: With some luck, Aces will be able to incorporate this option in his graphics for IL2-Mat and Mat Manager.

http://www.acesartwork.co.uk/

The default markingss can be substituted for with this utility. The placement might present a problem needing a workaround, as it has with some nationalities.

Anyway, it looks like he's working on an update for PF.

MssrSchmidt
10-30-2004, 10:14 AM
btw, just checked the SimHQ forums.

Look here. (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=114;t=000816)

VW-IceFire
10-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I sent a bit of information (not enough but some) regarding the FAA, SEAC RAF roundels, and the reasons why the current roundels are incorrect and badly colored.

I got a response and I did submit information...but it looks like not too much has been done right now. Seeing as updates are still coming, I'm very much hoping that sometime will be done to fix some of the inconsistencies. They only had so much time and other things are definately more important.

We must be realistic...we can't have markings to fit every single occasion and Oleg expressed that to me and I do understand. On the other hand US markings on US aircraft are quite correct by default, Japanese markings are also very close, VVS, Luftwaffe, and other types are extremely close in color, size and positioning.

Only the Commonwealth ones have very bad coloring, are incorrect, or never appeared in the theater. Hopefully, with a bit of friendly prodding and some luck...they will find a bit of time to work on that. I wish I could just open the game up and add in a better RAF roundel. Oh well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MssrSchmidt
10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
On the other hand US markings on US aircraft are quite correct by default, Japanese markings are also very close, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the markings on the A6M2-21 are as far from correct as one could possibly get. The only thing correct about them is that, yes, there is a red disc involved.
And the default numbering system on U.S. P-51Ds and P47s is far from common.

I don't share your optimism about fixes coming with subequent patches. This is not an area OM & team have been very responsive on.

Nevertheless, there is much more to be happy about with the sim as a whole, and the markings issues, with some effort, can be worked around in most cases.

JG27_Aristo
10-30-2004, 06:55 PM
all you have to do is you or someone you know can take a blank skin and paint it in any scheme/markings you like.then in game simply pick none for sides and put your skin on.you will then be happily setup.

as for other planes in game does anyone have an answer for them?

MssrSchmidt
10-30-2004, 09:24 PM
The majority of us play offline and/or in campaign mode, where 'none' is not an option.