PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server setup

KronikAlkoholik
02-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm no computer wiz but I know the basics. However networking is not high on my "knowing things" list so I need a little help with this. Deal is I have a extra computer wich I was wondering hosting a dedicated server on. Is this uneccesary as it's on the same network or is it still better to have 1 host computer, 1 client.

Also how they are connected is a bit strange. The internet comes in and connects through a router, then there is a network cable from the router, into my room and into a port switch wich is then connected to either computer. I did this cause I only had one network cable coming to my room, The computers still have seperate Ip so it should work right?

So my questions are, Does this work? And is it any good?

Also the FBdaemon thing, is this only good for dogfights or for coops also?

KronikAlkoholik
02-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm no computer wiz but I know the basics. However networking is not high on my "knowing things" list so I need a little help with this. Deal is I have a extra computer wich I was wondering hosting a dedicated server on. Is this uneccesary as it's on the same network or is it still better to have 1 host computer, 1 client.

Also how they are connected is a bit strange. The internet comes in and connects through a router, then there is a network cable from the router, into my room and into a port switch wich is then connected to either computer. I did this cause I only had one network cable coming to my room, The computers still have seperate Ip so it should work right?

Also the FBdaemon thing, is this only good for dogfights or for coops also?

rnzoli
02-23-2006, 01:55 AM
I suggest that you take a look into this thread, if not already done:

Dedicated Server - Easy Setup guide (Updated Feb 2nd 2005)

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/692106434/p/1

FBDaemon is mainly for objective-driven dogfights. Coops can be made objective-driven by the full mission builder. Statistics also work differently in coops and dogfights.

Tully__
02-23-2006, 02:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KronikAlkoholik:

Also the FBdaemon thing, is this only good for dogfights or for coops also? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Anyone connecting from outside should use the external IP address of the router to connect. This is different to the IP address that the router shows on the LAN side. The WAN Status page in the router administration tool will give you this.

The router should have port forwarding rules set up to forward traffic for the host server to the LAN IP of the host computer. You can do this from the router administration tool.

You and anyone else on your side of the router will need to use the LAN IP of the host computer to connect.