PDA

View Full Version : Skins training

Midnight2u2
11-21-2004, 01:34 PM
I would like to know where to find out about applying skins onto aircraft dummies edition.
step by step inch by inch how does a skins layout transfer to planes

thanks midnight2u2002
mschultz2@tampabay.rr.com

actionhank1786
11-22-2004, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight2u2:
I would like to know where to find out about applying skins onto aircraft dummies edition.
step by step inch by inch how does a skins layout transfer to planes

thanks midnight2u2002
mschultz2@tampabay.rr.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out the skinning community, they're a good helpful bunch

M.R.Maiornikov
11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
i did some skins for the il2skins.com site so i hopefully can answer your questions.

OneTinSoldier77
11-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Hello Midnight2u2,

I think I might be able to help you out. If I understand correctly you just want to know how to download a skin and then use it in the game... right?

Ok. Well, here goes my attempt to give you a tutorial on how to install and choose skins. I will be assuming that you have IL-2 FB + AEP + Pacific Fighters installed, as a merged installation. If not, no big deal, I believe you would just replace my references to the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' folder with 'Pacific Fighters'. I will also be assuming that you use WinZip.

First, let's have a look at the folder that contains all the 'sub-folders' where the skins(textures) for your planes are. In Windows Explorer navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\PaintSchemes\Skins'. All the sub-folders within that 'Skins' folder are the names of all the 'models'(or types) of planes in IL-2. Inside those sub-folders are the skins. They are .bmp files and you can open them with an image viewer if you wish.

Now, go download a skin from www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) - I'll use a specific skin here and do my best to tell you how to get it. Once you're at il2skins.com click on the 'Download skins' link. Now click on the 'By plane / Display only' pull down menu and scroll down and select 'P-51D'. Then over towards the right hand side click on the 'Apply filters' button. Now look for the skin titled 'P-51D "Detroit Miss"'. The Author is 'vpmedia2004user'. Right now it is the second skin down on the list of P-51D skins. It may be several skins down in the list by the time you get there but I think you'll see it. If not, go to the next page of P-51D skins and look for it. Now click on the picture of the skin to go to the download page for it.

Now on the upper right-hand side you'll see where it shows what model of plane the skin is for. In this case it says 'Plane: P-51D'. On most all skins it shows the FULL NAME of the model the skin is for, which will match the name of the folder in your IL-2's 'Skins' folder(or come very close to matching it). For instance if you downloaded a Japanese Val(Aichi) skin it would say 'Plane: D3A1', because D3A1 is the model for the Japanese Val airplane. It is important that you look at the model shown in 'Plane: XXXXX' so you know where to install the skin. In the case of my example here we are just given P-51D and not the full name of model. This is a very rare exception on il2skins.com. You are almost always given the full name of the model. Anyway, there are two P-51D models in IL-2, which are the 'P-51D-5NT' and the 'P-51D-20NA'. Downloaded P-51D skins can be used on either of these models. I believe that is because the external models of these two planes are the same and the only difference is on the inside, in the cockpit. Skins are paint jobs for the external portion of the model only. So you can install the "Detroit Miss" skin into both of the P-51D models in IL-2 if you want. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this!

Ok, so now download the P-51D "Detroit Miss" skin by vpmedia2004user if you haven't already. The filename for this download should be '16556-P-51DDetroitMiss.zip'. Open it up in WinZip. Highlight the two .bmp files in there(you don't really need to extract the .jpg file). Now click on the 'Extract' button and you should get the 'Extract to' navigation window. Now navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\PaintSchemes\Skins\P-51D-20NA' and click the 'Extract' button in the lower right hand corner(or press 'Enter' on your keyboard). Ta-da! The skin is now installed. In many cases the .zip archive of a downloaded skin will contain folders of it's own. If that is the case then you would want to make sure that you have the 'Use folder names' option on the 'Extract to' window unchecked. Now with Windows Explorer you can go into your C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\PaintSchemes\Skins\P-51D-20NA folder and see that the files are there, and if you wish you may copy them over to the 'P-51D-5NT' folder. This would of course make it so that you have the skin installed in both of those models.

This download actually contains two skins. One with full markings and one with no markings. The one with no markings has '_nm' at the end of it's name. I think some other skinners(texture artists) call this a blank and will put the letters 'bl' somewhere in the name. Some skinners fully write out 'blank' or 'no_markings' in the filename rather than just use the initials. 'No markings', or 'blank' skins, do not have stuff like serial numbers, squadron numbers, decals, or air force emblem markings on them.

Now you need to select the skin in the game. I haven't really played any single player yet, but I will try to step you through on how to select it in a single player mission. In the game select single player missions, of course. Select USAAF. Then select the P51-D type mission. Then select the 'P-51D-20NA N1' mission. Now click 'Brief', then click 'Arming'. Now click 'Aircraft Customization'. Here is where you select the skin. Click the 'Skin' pull-down menu and the select 'vpmedia_P-51D_detroit_miss'. Click it again and select 'vpmedia_P-51D_detroit_miss_nm' and you will see the difference between the two. On the 'Arming' screen for multiplayer you can select 'None' for the Air Force type, 'None' for the Squadron and 'None' for a Decal. When using a skin that has all the markings this is what you would want to do, because if you go ahead and select an Air Force, Squadron, and Decal it will also paste those markings on top of your skin, which already has them. It will paste them on there in such a way that they will kind of overlap is the best way I can think of to describe it. The markings don't exactly overlap so it looks bad. If you want to choose a Squadron, Air Force, and Decal that is contained in and provided by the game, then you would use the 'No Markings'(or blank) version of the skin.

Ok Midnight2u2, that's it for my tutorial. I hope it was what you were looking for and that it helped you and any others out there that were wondering how to install and use a downloaded skin!

I am actually still fairly new to this game. So again, if I am mistaken in any of my information and/or directions here someone please step in and correct me.

Cheers,

One Tin Soldier

Phil_C
11-23-2004, 01:03 AM
This should be a sticky for us rookies..

thanks for the info. i was wonderin this all myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

OneTinSoldier77
11-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi Phil_C,

You're welcome. I am glad you liked it and to hear it helped you out! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I was actually hoping this might be a good enough tutorial to warrant being a sticky. If a mod here thinks it should be and makes it so, then great. If that is the case then I think perhaps the title of the thread should be renamed to 'Skins Installation Training', hehe. Just my thoughts.

BTW, I think skins are really great additions to the game. I truly appreciate the artists that make the textures. And I believe most of them enjoy doing it. Because the il2skins website is used by a lot of folks there is a considerable amount of bandwith used. Not only in downloading but also by skin artists who upload their work. The site has no advertisements that I have ever seen. It does however have a PayPal donation button and I encourage you to donate if you can so that it keeps operating, and operating with no advertisements/banners! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I am in no way affiliated with il2skins. I am just a happy end user of the site.

Have fun all!

One Tin Soldier