PDA

View Full Version : Problems I have

VF2_Sarge
08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I see some problems with the new development by 1C. This is straight from Oleg in an interview.

1st: O.M. We don€t have exact system requirements yet. All I can say that system that runs IL2 on the max settings will run BOB on lowest ones.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Does any one else see a problem with this. I doubt that the people fly IL2/PF max out (like myself) are going to buy another top of the line computer just so we don't have to settle for the low settings of a game.</span>

2nd: O.M.: AI significantly changed and will use a lot more resources than it does now. Visibility from AI perspective is honest even now, it just aces look behind them a lot more often then rookies. Clouds are not see thru for AI and virtual pilots. Accuracy of shooting will depend on g-forces. During active maneuvering accuracy will be reduced and under effect of great forces will not be possible at all.

<span class="ev_code_RED">WHAT FREAKIN GAME IS HE TALKING ABOUT?!?!!?</span>

Aviaforum: what is the progress of BOB, what stage is it on. When can we get screenshots, videos, ect€¦.?

O.M. Not this year.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Thank god..need time to save up money.</span>

Just some thoughts...I really feel sorry of those gamers out there that will not be able to convert over to the new game when it comes out. But I guess thats price we have to pay. I know that this post is gonna get bashed on by those "Ubi Lovers" but thats ok to I guess.

Cheers

VF2_Sarge
08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I see some problems with the new development by 1C. This is straight from Oleg in an interview.

1st: O.M. We don€t have exact system requirements yet. All I can say that system that runs IL2 on the max settings will run BOB on lowest ones.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Does any one else see a problem with this. I doubt that the people fly IL2/PF max out (like myself) are going to buy another top of the line computer just so we don't have to settle for the low settings of a game.</span>

2nd: O.M.: AI significantly changed and will use a lot more resources than it does now. Visibility from AI perspective is honest even now, it just aces look behind them a lot more often then rookies. Clouds are not see thru for AI and virtual pilots. Accuracy of shooting will depend on g-forces. During active maneuvering accuracy will be reduced and under effect of great forces will not be possible at all.

Aviaforum: what is the progress of BOB, what stage is it on. When can we get screenshots, videos, ect€¦.?

O.M. Not this year.

Just some thoughts...I really feel sorry of those gamers out there that will not be able to convert over to the new game when it comes out. But I guess thats price we have to pay. I know that this post is gonna get bashed on by those "Ubi Lovers" but thats ok to I guess.

Cheers

Crash_Moses
08-04-2006, 11:37 AM

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">I am.</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">BOB</span>

O.M. Not this year.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">and relax...life's too short...</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

x6BL_Brando
08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
I can appreciate your foreboding, Sarge, but Mr Maddox & IC would be crazy to produce a product that didn't take full advantage of the potential of the state-of-the-art hardware that's available now, as well as future-proofing the game as far as possible with the up-coming developments.

Read the forums and you will find scores, even hundreds of people asking for more & more refinements and complexity, which can only be employed at the expense of CPU cycles. Likewise more complex 'eye-candy' - the kind only achievable with Crossfire or SLI or even Quadruple graphics cards - and way improved sound.

With the new hardware coming on-stream (and I hardly need to list it?) it would be commercial suicide to back off in favour of those of us with slower computers (compared to the anticipated requirements for Storm of War: BoB).
That's why the new sim will be graduated in the same way as FB. I reckon low settings will be pretty wild for a current high-ender, but a lot of slower, older rigs will need to be replaced. Which is, as you might admit, the gaming scene all over.

It's like surfing a big wave - when you're in the pipeline, getting off is not an option.

Cheers

B.

VF2_Sarge
08-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I understand both your post equally. However, I think its just because I favor the Pacific over European theater. And I'm still a little PISSED and a little let down with PF. Why move on to another "piece of ****" when you didn't finish the first one. And I guess I'm in protest of the BOB issue. Besides, why am I even talking about it, this is a PF forum..not a BOB forum. Pleae consider this matter closed, and go spread your BOB propaganda else where.
Cheers

Crash_Moses
08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF2_Sarge:
I understand both your post equally. However, I think its just because I favor the Pacific over European theater. And I'm still a little PISSED and a little let down with PF. Why move on to another "piece of ****" when you didn't finish the first one. And I guess I'm in protest of the BOB issue. Besides, why am I even talking about it, this is a PF forum..not a BOB forum. Pleae consider this matter closed, and go spread your BOB propaganda else where.
Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...yer preachin' to the choir, lad. PF isn't perfect but at the moment it's all we have (and it's still a great sim despite the flaws). There is always the chance of some third party taking over but I wouldn't count on it (soon anyway).

Personally, I'm a little glad that BOB isn't going to be released in the near future. I'm not done with this sim yet and I would sorely hate losing the PTO and folks I fly with. I imagine the only folks on-line after BOB is released will be us PTO die hards.

But look on the bright side. Eventually Oleg will get around to doing the PTO for the Storm of War series. By then most of the bugs and tweaks will have been taken care of and we will be faced with a truly awesome PTO flight sim.

Fire up PF and hop in an SBD for awhile. That always makes me feel better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!

VF2_Sarge
08-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Well said.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

stansdds
08-05-2006, 06:51 AM
I hear you and add my voice before this thread gets the lock. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I would have liked to see the Pacific truely finished, but without the Solomon Islands, it will never be complete. As for the new BoB, I'm sure it will take a 3.5 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, NV 7900 GTX machine just to run it at barely medium settings. This just seems to be the way flight sims work.

heywooood
08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Pf still has qualities and the addons will help.

Why worry about a new computer today? BoB won't be here for 2 years be sure...and even then you're going to want to wait until a full year after it is released before you buy a new rig...if you're smart that is.

vocatx
08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I understand what you are saying, but when the ORIGINAL Il-2 came out, most computers couldn't run it at maximum settings, and it's only been in the last year that it has really been possible with FB/PF.

I don't think the debut of BoB will mean death to FB/PF. I can't wait to see BoB, but with it's limited planesets, I think it will take an add-on or two before the impact begins to take a large toll on folks using FB/PF on-line. I would be willing to be there will be SEVERAL good servers on Hyperlobby still running FB/PF in two years, and a few after three years.

It's going to take quite a while to re-cover all the ground that has been covered here, especially when it comes to those of us who love the PTO.

slappedsilly
08-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Looks to me that Oleg wants the last word in WW2 flight sims. BoB on low settings will probably blow your mind, just as IL2 did when it came out.
If BoB is done right, (and my moneys on Oleg) there wont be alot to improve upon.

VW-IceFire
08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Thing is ....what are the low settings, what are the high settings? We don't know yet. My computer can run the highest settings in this game with an average of about 18-20fps...its not acceptable but I can do it. Thats on a 4 year old system with a 2 year old (in terms of design) video card.

There are a few things to consider.

Oleg mentioned that there is alot of power in the engine for enabling details. He mentioned that there was an extra level of detail for ground objects that you could enable. For people doing film projects this could be huge. It may not be realistic to run on that setting for now but its possible to do in the engine.

Oleg I think envisions Storm of War as lasting a while (hopefully!). So he's built an engine, at least I hope so, that has a huge ability to withstand the test of time. So features not useable right now will be activated or purely optional for now.

Does anyone remember when the pixel shaded water was a feature coveted by a very select few? Or when turning the object draw distance to excellent was incredible to behold? Or how about just using 1024x1024 textures instead of the 512x512 ones? Things have come a long way and I think Storm of War: Battle of Britain has many new features that will be coveted by a few for a while....but eventually they'll be common place.

I think BoB on low settings will blow us away.

Crash_Moses
08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Dunno...but it looks like we'll have plenty of time to speculate.

In the meantime, I think...uh-oh...air raid sirens...gotta go!

Tully__
08-07-2006, 03:25 AM
While there are a lot of problems in the current sim, many of them are the result of asking the game engine to do stuff it was never originally designed to do. I see the new project as a benifit rather than a case of adding a new dog the stable because it has been designed from the ground up to do the things that have been done as kludges in the current game. This means that they should work well rather than looking like the afterthoughts they are.

As for minimum/recommended specs, in the time it's likely to take to get BoB release average PC performance is likely to increase by at least 50% and possible as much as 80% so there'll definitely be equipment around that can run it well. Oleg's comments about performance are aimed at PC's currently available or in use, not the market as it will exist at the time of release. We're all familiar with the speed at which PC performance improves and if we want to be able to play the latest games we have to expect major upgrades every 2-5 years. The same applies in the console market, so we can't blame it on the PC developers only. It's just a part of the market.

ElAurens
08-07-2006, 11:14 AM
My current machine allows me to run max settings Water=4 online with perfectly acceptable frame rates. I see no reason why I won't be able to get through the first year of SOW:BoB on this machine. More importantly however will be the very important changes to the new game's engine, to wit, proper high altitude flight physics.

I have a suspicion that once we try the new sim we will no longer be able to tolerate the old one.

I give FB/AEP/PF 6 months of life after the release of the SOW series.

VF2_Sarge
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree ElAurens. Well, I at least I (and hopefully some of my commrads) will stay with PF until some other Pacific theather sim comes along. Hopefully soon.

Cheers

Crash_Moses
08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
I have a suspicion that once we try the new sim we will no longer be able to tolerate the old one.

I give FB/AEP/PF 6 months of life after the release of the SOW series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blasphemy!

I am now in an offical state of denial... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

(hmmm...I wonder if Stiggy needs any company over at Target Rabaul?) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif