PDA

View Full Version : AI Planes Crash

actwer
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
At the end of a mission most, if not all, planes using AI (including myself if i'm using AP) crash into a mountain near my base which is at the start of the landing pattern. Watching the planes they pull up slightly to go over the mountain but not quite enough. I'm playing with the RAAF, 7thSQ, flying the P-40.
Anyone know what the deal is or had the same thing happen to them?

actwer
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
At the end of a mission most, if not all, planes using AI (including myself if i'm using AP) crash into a mountain near my base which is at the start of the landing pattern. Watching the planes they pull up slightly to go over the mountain but not quite enough. I'm playing with the RAAF, 7thSQ, flying the P-40.
Anyone know what the deal is or had the same thing happen to them?

irR4tiOn4L
06-01-2005, 12:56 AM
dont worry this is normal - or that depends on whether its worrying that this is normal. What happens, and this happens everytime (depending on how heavy the plane is - nimble ones often get away) is that they all go to land, only one gets the go ahead, they all break to join the landing pattern and crash because the path to the pattern happens to go through a mountain.

The landings are scripted sequences - flying is not - perhaps the problem is going between the two?

ClnlSandersLite
06-01-2005, 02:38 AM
No, irR4tiOn4L, that's not quite right.

It is due to the landing patterns and such bieng fixed patterns. However, it can happen at any time during the landing procedure.

From when a plane disengages to rtb (usually due to fuel, or ammo shortage; sometimes dammage) till touchdown it's at risk. The real problem is that the AI is designed for the east front which is considerably flatter than some of the pacific isles.

I've seen planes plow into hills mountains on final approach in some places, also hitting hills on an aborted run is common. Take off sometimes, and limping home with dammage frequently.

Since all these AI actions are at a fixed altitude relative to the airbase, it does not compensate for intervening terrain.

Also, the ai will plow into mountains during level flight when the waypoints are not above the terrain.

actwer
06-01-2005, 08:48 PM
so how is it fixed?

NonWonderDog
06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Beg and plead in the ready room. Sorry, not much else you can do.

ClnlSandersLite
06-02-2005, 12:56 AM
My reccomendation? Check out DCG. If there is a problem in a dcg campaign, just customize it slightly to fix it. (shift airbases, altitudes, and such)