PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to cry

VonGeezer
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Ok, I'm only in training...have scored excellent in the first couple of training missions and am now working on the torpedo training. Took me a few tries to start getting the hang of it...

Anyways, I've used up all but one torpedo. I lock view onto a ship (a small one) that is much too far away...almost 3km, and figure what the heck...I line myself up, the cursor turns green and I yell "Fire Torpedo" into the microphone (I'm using a voice command program for most commands). Away she goes. Last torpedo, nothing left to do now so I go into free camera mode and fly above the water, following the torpedo trail, figuring there is no way it's going to make it. But wait...it sure looks like it's gonna make impact...holy smoke! It's looking good! I race up to the ship, get underwater and as the torpedo comes into view it becomes obvious I'm gonna get a hit! Woohoo! I'm bouncing up and down in my chair and giggling like a German schoolgirl. I don't think I've ever gotten so excited playing any game before. Here it comes. Woo! Fists clenched and body tensed in anticipation..."Thud" The torpedo bangs into the hull of my target and just sinks slowly into the abyss.

I wanted to cry. I know (or at least suspect) this is modelling the fact that some torpedos were duds, which is really really cool, but I still wanted to cry.

How often do torpedos "malfunction"?

Gotta say, I'm not much of a simmer, but this game is going to convert me. I laughed hysterically when I shot down an incoming plane and the beautifuly flaming wreckage veered toward my sub and smacked into the water about 20 feet from me. I had to restrain myself from wrapping my arms over my head to sheild myself from the impact! This sim is blowing my mind and I'm only in the training missions.

Nice job people!

Reaves_42
03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I had the same thing!

Last torpedo running straight and set for a hit but... About 2 meters (distance hard to judge, 1 and a half torpedo lenghts) away from the merchants hull the torpedo comes to a halt and starts sinking. Despite my frustration all I could do was loose a manical laugh, set for ahead flank, and ram the lousy sod. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Got her in the end.

NaturalBornGoth
03-28-2005, 11:09 PM
I think the torps that run out of fuel stop too sudden. They should drift a bit while they begin to sink. But no... they jerk to a halt as if they are being held by a chain.

Concerning duds... i wouldn't know. I haven't played with "duddable" torps yet. Shame on me. But i switched that particular realism feature off for a reason.

I'm traumatized by the very first Silent Hunter from 1996. I once were on patrol, and there it was: The most beautifully ligned up convoy ever. They where in perfect firing position and plenty in numbers too, sitting in a harbor with zero movement. So i deciced, let's waste 'em. I fired a torp at every single target. i think it was 6. I stared at the stopwatch... any second now... 5 secs... steady... 3 secs... impacts imminent... 2... 1

"Torpedo was a dud, sir!"

...??

...!!

...!!!!

&#*‚ß!!!

"Torpedo was a..." you get the picture...

The most frustrating moment in my submarine career... needless to say, that those torps were the last i had aboard. I limped back to base and wanted to sink my sub with some hand grenades... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"Grenade was a dud, sir!"

ARRRRGH!!! *BLAM* http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VonGeezer
03-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm just in training right now and I don't think there is any way to change realism settings in there...if there is I haven't touched it. But I definitely heard a thud, or more like a "clunk!"...that puppy hit the hull, no doubt about it. Unless something fell somewhere in my apartment at precisely the right moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Five duds in a row? Yikes!

blue_76
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
if u think that's frustrating.. check out this guy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaptainRadish:
I hate C2s.

I have hated C2s since I lobbed all five fish I had at one during my second patrol and it didn't sink.

I then sailed up to it and fired every bit of 20mm I had at it and it still didn't sink.

I then opened my hatches and hurled rocks at it and it still didn't sink.

I then whacked it a couple times with my sub's nose and just succeeded in hurting myself.

I then got some crew men on deck to whack the hull with sledgehammers and it still didn't sink.

I then caught the attention of a passing destroyer and played ring around the rosy around the ship until the destroyer crashed into it and blew up...but it still didn't sink.

I sailed along side it and beat my head against the metal but just succeeded in hurting myself more.

...then, after I had run out of fuel circling around it at flank speed, yelling at it and then trying to figure out how the hell to get back home, it quietly sank on its own.

I hate C2s. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Reaves_42
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Even with realistic torps turned off you can still get a dud if the fish hits at the wrong angle. That's not really a dud it's the detonator not being triggered properly. The torps actually hit -clunking sound- but just bounce off and explode when they hit the bottom.

I tend to stay away from electric torps (yellow and blue) as they are constantly sinking half way to target.

blue_76
03-28-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah, i'd have to agree.. steam T1 torpedoes are older, but generally more dependable.. u can also set their speed. their only drawback is the trail they leave behind that makes them visible, so warships can avoid them unless you're firing from close range at his speed.. but at night they are very deadly. i use electric torpedoes exclusively for warships.

VonGeezer
03-29-2005, 12:20 AM
I didn't even know there were different types of torps...I'd better bury my head in that manual tomorrow at work!

Oh, and my torp hit that hull at pretty much 90 degrees, (at least it looked that way) musta been a genuine dud.

JebUSMC
03-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Yup. Duds are possible but what was the draft of the vessel you fired that torp at and how deep was your torpedo running? Was it set to magnetic or impact pistols? Notice how the hull slopes down to the keel at a certain point? Its possible to hit a target at a 90 degree angle but not have the whiskers hit at a good angle to trigger the pistol due to that sloping hull.

Tomus
03-29-2005, 02:29 AM
German torpedoes were at the beginning of the war notoriously unreliable. Gunther Prien of U-47 fame had half the Royal Navy lined up during the invasion of Norway and every shot appeared to have missed. He lambasted his first officer for poor firing solutions but when checking them himself realised that the Torpedos were faulty. SO getting 4 or 5 in a row as duds is not historically that far fetched. It was a problem right till the end of the war although they did get more reliable.

Du_Schtroumpf
03-29-2005, 02:49 AM
I have had the occasional dud but i encountered something i haven't seen before , i was inside a convoy during a storm and fired my torpedos but a lot of them started to explode prematurely?
Anyone know what might be causing this to happen?
I did notice some jumping in and out of high waves could this be the reason some exploded before reaching there target?

lovecraft1969
03-29-2005, 04:38 AM
A torpedo detonating prematurely is a result of the magnetic detonator malfunctioning or firing early. The problem with electric torpedos running too deep was well documented, crews were ordered to set depth on electrics to 0 until the problem could be fixed.

TASKFORCE1x1
03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
I really dont like duds. If it were up to me to climb in a Uboat I most certainly would make torpedoes my one most first priority to make each one perfect. Even if that means for me to take them all solely apart myself.

WHO FORGOT TO FEED THE SQUIRRLE! THIS ONE IS DEAD. Another torpedo to be thrown overboard.

CruiseTorpedo
03-29-2005, 07:54 AM
The default pistol setting for all torpedos (that I've used so far up to mid 1940) is "magnetic"! It's documented quite a bit that 'impact' is much more reliable, so be sure to set your TDC to Impact before you give the order to fire your torpedos!

That's of course my own opinion, others may share other views. Although I think most real life uboat captains used impact pistols rather than magnetics.

Lost_Lamb
03-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Apparently they laid the blame for the malfunctioning magnetic torpedoes on the north pole;

"The Admiral vehemently set out to track down the reasons for the torpedo disaster and to lend a helping hand to his daring and talented men as fast as possible. After an emergency conference with representatives of Naval High Command and the Torpedo Department, D√¬∂nitz concluded that magnetic interference form the fjords did, after all, affect the magnetic torpedoes. It was also found that the essential problem with the impact-pistol torpedo Mark G7e was that its depth-keeping gear ran off base, causing the torpedo to run 6 feet deeper than set depth and simply pass beneath its target. Thus, writes D√¬∂nitz, "we found ourselves equipped with a torpedo that refused to function in northern waters either with contact or with magnetic pistols." The compromise decision was to use magnetic firing (Mark G7a) except when near to fjords, where the magnetic pull was considerable and often caused premature detonations."

From;

http://uboat.net/history/torpedo_crisis.htm

der|zerst0rer|
03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonGeezer:
This sim is blowing my mind and I'm only in the training missions.

Nice job people! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my thoughts when doing the Academy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif