PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Wildcat F-4F Flying tips needed!?

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi!

I realy need some good tips and tactics while flying in Wildcat. I usualy get stal's on tight turns even with 25% fuel and speed over 300 km/h and how to get a6m2 into fire ball while in dogfight with them? I realy like this plane but plane doesent like me. And please give me some tips on gun convergance for it while hunting zeros.

Thx http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi!

I realy need some good tips and tactics while flying in Wildcat. I usualy get stal's on tight turns even with 25% fuel and speed over 300 km/h and how to get a6m2 into fire ball while in dogfight with them? I realy like this plane but plane doesent like me. And please give me some tips on gun convergance for it while hunting zeros.

Thx http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VVS-Manuc
08-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Don't turn with a Zero when flying a Wildcat!

Crash_Moses
08-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Yup, if you get in a turnfight with a Zero you've already lost. The Wildcat doesn't do tight turns. You'll stall at any speed if you try to turn with a Zero.

Sans wingman your best bet is to dive away, extend, and gain some altitude for a high speed pass.

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 07:25 AM
And what gun convergance would be good for hig speed pass over zero to make max damage to pilot or engine of zero? I tried from 150 to 300 as navy standard but with only paint scratch to zero in boom pass. Advice please!

Crash_Moses
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
As long as you're firing at whatever your convergence is set at you should chew it up pretty good.

I know this though...don't fire from directly behind. Not sure if it's the way damage is modeled or if it's because there aren't any critical systems in the tail. Try for a deflection shot at the engine, cockpit, or wing root. It's harder to get a hit but you do more damage.

corsair0772
08-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Crash_Moses is right, I just flew it this morning against Zeros and Vals in one of the Midway campainges. You cannot turn with them, there for you have to dive down, or get them when they are starting to make a turn. It can be very tough with this plane, you have to build up as much speed as you can to take them on. Another way I have been sucessful is to take them head on. (Doesn't always work) If you can fire before they do, and you make contact, odds are there week skin will shred. Especially if you hit the engine. Make sure you fire first or there cannons will rip you apart. This is one way to do it, but listen to what everybody else is saying and do that first. I will only take them head on if I have to, most of the time I do what everybody here is saying to do. http://youtube.com/watch?v=_32ZspW80v4

Check this out to see what I am talking about.
Good luck.

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Thank's for helping me being better againts zeros
I used to fly zeros on Zekes_vs_Wildcat server for year or two.
And completly forgoten to fly USN birds.
Even that I flown zeros cant seem to get tactics right when in wildcat I know how hard manouvers I was pulling with wildcat so every one has own tactics so it's hard to even get head on shoot kill, my head-ons turn always and I mean always in my shootdown. Wheel will try some pratice in server this month and I will see.

lowfighter
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Well, offline you can turn with them (by turning I mean all the tricks in the vertical and horisontal to stay on his 6 and not let him get on your 6).
Online not a good idea.
Shooting: use any oportunity, high deflection shots etc,the earlier zeros are very vulnerable, so even spray and pray works well against this plane.

Crash_Moses
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
And head on was a common tactic against Zeros and Franks in the PTO, especially with the Flying Tigers and the P-40. Extend, turn around and go straight at 'em and count on your superior armor to protect you (although I've found the AI to be entirely too good a shot off-line. They don't even blink! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif)

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
While in IL-2 quick combat I can winn against ace zero pilot but in online its just a pure luck if I find one noobie flying in straight line.
There is something wrong the F-4 could have been better energy saver on easy monuvers but it aint... it's eating gas and energy faster than propeler spin's.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
High speed firing passes are obviously the best but if you find yourself at a disadvantage try a descending scissors. As you lose altitude both planes should begin to gain speed. As the speed picks up the wildcat will have the advantage in the roll and hopefully you'll be able to cut inside the zero. There were a number of aggressive Marine aces who used this tactic to "dogfight" with the zeros.

If you find yourself with a Zero crawling up your six you should dive away but a violent vertical manuever is not going to do the trick. Its a mistake many people make and its the reason they don't think you can dive away from Japanese fighters in game. When you dive away go for distance by using a 25-30 degree dive angle. You'll still gain speed quickly and after you've extended away from the enemy you can climb back up and try to attack again or just disengage.

It also helps to have a wingman. During most engagements between zeros and wildcats it was the discipline, training and team work that gave Navy and Marine pilots the upperhand. The zero is superior to the wildcat in just about everyway except for structural integrity so try using number and team tactics to counter them. A Thatch Weave is always a good way to go. It might not always get you or your wingman the kill but it will save your virtual life.

Crash_Moses
08-06-2007, 02:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
High speed firing passes are obviously the best but if you find yourself at a disadvantage try a descending scissors. As you lose altitude both planes should begin to gain speed. As the speed picks up the wildcat will have the advantage in the roll and hopefully you'll be able to cut inside the zero. There were a number of aggressive Marine aces who used this tactic to "dogfight" with the zeros.

If you find yourself with a Zero crawling up your six you should dive away but a violent vertical manuever is not going to do the trick. Its a mistake many people make and its the reason they don't think you can dive away from Japanese fighters in game. When you dive away go for distance by using a 25-30 degree dive angle. You'll still gain speed quickly and after you've extended away from the enemy you can climb back up and try to attack again or just disengage.

It also helps to have a wingman. During most engagements between zeros and wildcats it was the discipline, training and team work that gave Navy and Marine pilots the upperhand. The zero is superior to the wildcat in just about everyway except for structural integrity so try using number and team tactics to counter them. A Thatch Weave is always a good way to go. It might not always get you or your wingman the kill but it will save your virtual life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Some very good points there.

Also, don't neglect trim. I know the early Japanese fighters didn't have it but most of the American fighters do. A well trimmed airplane will fly faster and lose energy slower than one fighting drag constantly.

hejbrigade
08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Scissors are my worst nightmare I don't know how to pull it? Is there any video how to perform it correct?

I trim my plane with my x52 joystick and get good speed ,
but running away in a dive isnt option for me once I already get to low to perform this If I had button to transform my wildcat to wildsub then would work.
If I get cought to low im dead fish on fire.

jakethesnake214
08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
The objective of the scissors is to cause an overshoot. So slow down as slow and as quickly as you can keeping your lift vector on the bandit. You need to slow down just to a point where you can reverse but so that he overshoots. Keep your eye on the bandit and pull to his rear quarter. Once your flight paths cross, rinse and repeat. The use of rudder, flaps, even gear can be used in extreme cases to slow the plane down. Most of the time pulling into the vertical slightly above your opponent does the trick.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.darts-page.com has some great training films and a great example of a scissors fight. For some reason the site is down at the moment but Dart is an active member of the Il2 community and he is doing periodic training articles for Simhq and I would wager his site will be back up soon.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sin-vSQqoeo

Basic, but it might help you visualize the manuever.

Crash_Moses
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hejbrigade:
Scissors are my worst nightmare I don't know how to pull it? Is there any video how to perform it correct?

I trim my plane with my x52 joystick and get good speed ,
but running away in a dive isnt option for me once I already get to low to perform this If I had button to transform my wildcat to wildsub then would work.
If I get cought to low im dead fish on fire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good observation. Don't get caught low...ever. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Scissors are one of those manuevers that seems to just 'happen'. At least in my experience. I think your best bet would be to constantly turn into your opponent. Not with your opponent...that would be suicide. Just keep turning towards them and I think scissors just evolves from there.

VW-IceFire
08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hejbrigade:
Hi!

Thx http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Remember that a stall can happen at any speed. Stalls are about loss of lift on a wing...a violent turn can cause the wings angle of attack (the wing in relation to the direction the aircraft is moving) to exceed the maximum for that type and produce a high speed stall. The best way to avoid that is to simply not tighten the turn any further than just before the maximum.

Generally speaking the Wildcat always lost the turning battle against a Zero. While its turn rate is quite good overall its nowhere close to the Zero, Oscar, Nate, and some other Japanese fighter types. You need to use your wingman when you can but the best tactic is to always dive through a Zero formation, fire, climb, reposition and stay fast enough to make another pass. Don't get caught low, stay fast, dive on the Zeros, don't follow in turns and you'll do alright.

hejbrigade
08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Great info guys thanks.
I wonder if Im going to get into stall with wildcat when pulling Scissors with zero in first or second try.
We all know that F-4 and F-6 can quicly turn into stall if not paying attention to energy and rpms.

And I see that I will need to buy some pedalls to be more efficient, twist on stick is good but doesent do the job 100%

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Also don't forget that a zero's ailerons stiffen considerably at high-speed and a rolling dive is more effective than an outright nosedive.

My only other advice would be to keep your speed as high as reasonably possible. This takes much of the maneuverability advantage away from the zero.

Yakbeard
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Don't forget the vertical. The Zero will kill you if you pull a loop, but a well timed split-S or rolling yo-yo can save you. If the zero gets close to passing you, throw in a fat barrel roll to six him.

Good luck

mortoma
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
You never said whether or not you are flying against AI or humans online. If human pilots,
take all the advice here. If AI, well, I turn with them all the time in Wildcats. For simple reason that the AI, even ace level, do not turn as hard as they can. Not even close. And this has always been true in this sim. Another thing you seem to be doing wrong is pulling back too hard one the stick. You need to be able to hear or see when the plane is about ready to stall out. And of course once you get slow you have to limit your pull back on the stick even more.
An initial turn at high speed allows you to pull very hard for a few seconds. But once slow, take it easy.