PDA

View Full Version : an unexpected turn

dk91
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
hello all,
i have noticed taking off with most aircraft on some run ways there is a glitch that makes life harder. on some aircraft, particularly aircraft with nose landing gear (eg:the B-29) on certain, maybe all, runways (eg: the wide runway @ pearl harbour or test runway 1) the plane will get up to about a speed of 70kph, the plane will shake and turn to the left, and not even full rudder and ailerons will correct it, i found the only way to correct it is to bring the left wheel off the ground, and full rudder, and even then an engine might hit. If you know how to correct this glitch, DO NOT HESISTATE TO REPLY!!! I hate always running into buildings and YES, I SET IT NOT TO HAVE SEPARATE ENGINE START SO ITS NOT MORE POWER ON THE RIGHT SIDE.

Thnk u!

VW-IceFire
03-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Uhhh....sounds like you are running on one engine or something....does this happen with the P-39 or just the B-29?

The B-29 isn't flyable BTW (not really) so its not really a good plane to suggest has a bug in its FM. Its meant to be AI only.

There's two things possibly at work here because I know there's no such bug that I've ever encountered.

1) Engine torque is rolling you a certain way. Its possible to correct with rudder.

2) Only one engine is selected and thus only one engine is running at 100% with the rest at idle thus being asymetric in thrust and running you off the runway.

EnGaurde
03-08-2005, 08:46 PM
hmmm, dont know if youve already done this, but have you set all engine control before you advance throttle?

ie, all engines at the same revs?

is a wingtip dragging?

are you lifting off too early or are you letting her fly off under flaps and power, stick neutral?

marcocomparato
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
ya u gotta select all engines again after firing up

dk91
03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
did you guys not read the whole thing? i said i turned separate engine select OFF! I have also had this problem with the ME-262, so its not any ai, but no, no wing tips were dragging.

Equilizer
03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Its something on your end.

I can get the P38 and P39 off the runway on Ford Island (Pearl Harbor) fine.

Ketalar
03-09-2005, 05:13 PM
You might want to check the calibration of your stick. Sounds like it might be off in the rudder and/or elevator. I haven't had any problems taking off in two- or four-engined aircraft, I usually find them easier to handle than single-engined aircraft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EnGaurde
03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
hmmm

disconnect / uninstall your controllers, and reconnect them

re-center everything, including rudder control.

heres what i would do if it were me:

make a list of what could cause your aircraft to slew to the left, as far as controls are concerned in the game. All possible causes.

then make a list outside the game, about what creates control inputs in the game.

then go thru one by one striking each input / control off the list as you verify they work correctly, and try to determine what could, and therefore eventually is, causing your (mis)directional issue.

Wilburnator
03-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Separate engine start aside... just for laughs map a key to select ALL engines, then hit it after you start the engines. Just see. If nothing happens you can yell all you like. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Wilburnator
03-10-2005, 02:00 PM
BTW, there is no "turning separate engine select off". You can turn of separate engine start, and you can turn off complex engine management. But neither one of these will prevent you from starting, stopping, or throttling your engines individually.

dk91
03-10-2005, 07:25 PM
but they must will, for all my engines start with a single press of I. and i dont think its any of the controls; i can also get the P39 and P38 off, but mainly problems with the following aircraft:
sometimes the Me-262
B-29
B-24J-100-CF
all the B-17s (even thou they do not have nose gear)
and rarely the TBMs (also w/out nose gear and a single engine; I only had problems witht this plane 2 or 3 times) thou thnk you all for answering, and i will see what i can do. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

JaggedRaven
03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Dk...

I have the exact same problem you have...only add the a-20 to your lists. No idea what causes it...maybe crosswind (is that even modeled??)? however I've been doing what you do to correct it...lift a wing and try not to drag a propeller. Works every time with practice... or you can just select air starts and avoid this headache all together (obviously only in SP).

JaggedRaven

JaggedRaven
03-10-2005, 07:58 PM
BTW...

I'm using an x-45 joystick and throttle quadrant and I have separate engine starts OFF too. What are you using for a joystick/throttle? Maybe it's our controllers?
I noticed in Lock On when I throttle up it only affects one engine until I adjust one of the wheels on the throttle quadrant and balance power. It has the same effect...A HUGE YAW TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT in mid-air...what a pain in the butt during dogfights!

JaggedRaven

Firebird_79vRAF
03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
~S~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Separate engine start aside... just for laughs map a key to select ALL engines, then hit it after you start the engines <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im with him, just for schnits and giggles try mapping a key for select all engines and press it after you start them.

Wilburnator
03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I realize that you started all your engines at once. Even so, it is still possible that you are throttling up only one engine somehow. Individual throttle control is still possible. That's why I suggested mapping a key to select all engines and trying it out. Anyhow. Best of luck.

ruf9ii
03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
jees...cant even take off yet? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

as was previously mentions the b29 and b17 arnt strictly 'flyable' so take these with a grain (tablespoon) of salt.

and what are you doing with seperate engine start off and CEM off? dont try goin against anyone half decent. they'll mawl your plane like you were made of plaster...

criticisms aside now, it does sound like you havent selected all engines to throttle up. sure u might have started all at once, but did they all throttle up at once? if your flying the b29 then u must be in outside view. look at the dust from the propwash and if all is gravy there should be four separate 'washes'. if not then ur not selecting all of em [engines]...

another thing, it may be ur technique? tri gear planes like p39 are easiest to take off in. torque has little effect on roll, just yaw. this can be corrected with a little bit of rudder input. nothing difficult. dont try to pull up too early or you will stall and the wingtip will drag down taking it off.

btw, u think taking off in a high powered p38 is difficult? try in the b-239 brewster or i-16...then again any pre 1940 plane has a significant amount of torque that u gotta us aileron and rudder to correct ( if you take off properly in one of these u shouldnt really have to make any adjustments. a lot of people dont unfortunately) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

tigertalon
03-11-2005, 04:32 AM
1. First of all, test your joystick in QMB, starting in the air. If plane behaves well, then your controller is ok, if it doesn't, that's the problem.

2. Assuming that 1. is solved: When gaining speed for take off, apply full forward stick, to keep her on the ground as long as possible. When you have a stable ride along the field, try releasing the stick to neutral and pulling back slightly, let the speed be as high as possible at that moment...

If you send me track to aegeeaddict[at]yahoo.co.uk, I will review it and try to find a solution.

ku101-Ink.
03-11-2005, 04:53 AM
I had the same problem with the B-24 with a bomb load, I got round it by spooling slowly.

dk91
03-12-2005, 03:38 AM
Jagged Raven: My joystick/throttle is a sidewinder (not the best but all i could afford.
and how is lock on? ive been looking @ it but havent decided to buy it yet.
FireBird and Wilburnator: i will try all engine select.
ruf9ii: haha very funny. i have looked at the dust and it looks all the same; basically it is the same on all 4 engines.
tigertalon:i will try to send u a track. ku101-ink, i will also try your trick. thank you all again best wishes

han freak solo
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I haven't tried in a while, but I couldn't get successful takeoffs in the Me-262 and the Bf-110, due to the problem you describe. I resorted to autopilot for taking off those planes.

Everything's good with the B-25, A-20, and the P-38 on my end, though.