PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster Warthog

Trinity_Jay
10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Just got mine through the post today to review.

I. Am. Blown. Away.

Cracked open a beer and sat back opening the huge box and simply marvelled at the beautiful metal construction of the HOTAS. Heavy and well-crafted, I realised I had been playing with the switches and buttons without even connecting to the PC. So far it's a work of art and wonder.

I think my MSFS2 Sidewinder and Saitek X5 Pro throttle may - and sadly, as they have been so trusted and reliable - have bitten the dust.

I can't stress this enough - the Warthog is fantastic and perhaps the best HOTAS yet. I will test over the weekend and report back. I am over the moon with this wonderful piece of kit.

Very best wishes,

Jay

Trinity_Jay
10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Just got mine through the post today to review.

I. Am. Blown. Away.

Cracked open a beer and sat back opening the huge box and simply marvelled at the beautiful metal construction of the HOTAS. Heavy and well-crafted, I realised I had been playing with the switches and buttons without even connecting to the PC. So far it's a work of art and wonder.

I think my MSFS2 Sidewinder and Saitek X5 Pro throttle may - and sadly, as they have been so trusted and reliable - have bitten the dust.

I can't stress this enough - the Warthog is fantastic and perhaps the best HOTAS yet. I will test over the weekend and report back. I am over the moon with this wonderful piece of kit.

Very best wishes,

Jay

ytareh
10-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I felt the exact same about the HOTAS Cougar -it was a work of art out of the box BUT it was all downhill from there -I hated it !In no particular order -it will make your desk wobble and groan under the strain of its weight...it was loose and floppy about the center only developing a plasticky 'hardness/tightness' around the gate ,throttle was harder to get an exact % setting than my beloved Logitech Extreme 3d pro...which is what I ended up going back to a week or two later !Anyway I hope you enjoy it Jay ...I guess ya MUST be makin a few bucks /bob from the military aviation/sim bookwriting (enquiry of mine in the 'commercial' thread !)or have ya a 'day job' payin for the hardware ?Sorry if this is too personal a question!

Trinity_Jay
10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Have to say that the Warthog is simply wonderful, so much so that I e-mailed my contact at Thrustmaster to say thank you and that they may have made the very best HOTAS. But as I said, shall test this weekend. But as first impressions go, it's a beaut.

One of my threads last week was locked for being too commercial and reported this to UbiSoft who I know well, so one must be careful. I am a senior aviation book editor and am always looking for material that makes great books that all of us will enjoy reading. After all, this is a small market of people who all love the same thing. If you or anyone has a serious comment, please e-mail me directly, but do not mention anything slightly commercial on this forum:

jslater@thehistorypress.co.uk

The magazine stuff I do because I enjoy it, get the goodies, and it also gives me something to do in my evenings. And I hate TV.

S!

Jay
CPS_Bulldog

Black_Ops7
10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
A review is up:
http://www.simhq.com/_technolo...technology_174a.html (http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174a.html)

TX-Gunslinger
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Great for you Jay.

In respect to the feel/action/precision of the joystick - do you see what Cougar U2NXT users have been raving about for years?

I looked at the Foxy joystick analyzer outputs in the simhq tests between U2Nxt and Warthog - and they appear almost identical.

Also, several months ago - one of the Simhq folks wrote an article from E3 and stated that the Joystick felt almost exactly like his U2Nxt, if not better. I don't know how you could get better, but hey.

I'm really interested in what you find - I really need to wait a little before I order mine.

Congratulations!

Gunny

PhantomKira
10-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Looks and sounds impressive! Impressive price to boot!

Sounds from the SimHQ review as if there may be some issues with getting pedals to work with this stick? Maybe I misread what they were saying. Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that if it is as good as they say it is, my old Sidewinder may have met its match (finally).

TX-Gunslinger
10-23-2010, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:

Sounds from the SimHQ review as if there may be some issues with getting pedals to work with this stick? Maybe I misread what they were saying. Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that if it is as good as they say it is, my old Sidewinder may have met its match (finally). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's a little confusing - if you haven't had previous experience with Thrustmaster programming software and integration of all three axis.

Any rudder will work just fine - in the typical fashion that almost everyone uses them.

However, in the Cougar - you can plug in a gameport (not usb) configured set of rudder pedals directly into the joystick. The rudder axis values are now being read by the Thrustmaster software.

This allows you to manipulate not only the joystick and throttle values - within the programming software - but also the rudder axis.

The best attribute (for me) this has - it to allow all axis Trim. I really like it for some sims.

So, I'm flying along and applying aileron, elevator and rudder inputs to fly "straight and level". I can hold down a button (if programmed) and then move my controls back to neutral - then relase the button and the Thrusmaster software remembers the axis position.

I can then hit another button - or shift and the same control (however you wish to assign it) - to reset the axis back to center.

It's a trim function - that's all.

For me it's great as if I bought the Warthog - I'd just keep my pedals and Cougar base - plug them in - and the new T.A.R.G.E.T sofware will integrate the lot.

This all happened due to the scarcity of Gameport interfaces in the vast majority of rudder pedals. It's an old interface. However, I'll probably pick up some SIMPEDs one of these days and you can get those in gameport configuration, just like the older CH Pro pedals I have now.

The reviewer belabors this point a bit as I guess he expects to sell his Cougar and recoup expenses. I have no such expectation.

Hopefully what I've written is coherent and helps folks understand this issue - which I think, won't be an issue for 90% or more of users. Problem with many Cougar users is they don't take the time to learn how to program their devices. The programming attributes of the Thrustmaster software has been one of the best features of it to me.

S!

Gunny

CrazyOWl
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Just wanted to ask how is the bottom of the control those it have a cushion or something soft or is just metal "the joystick most of it I see is a flat metal? I ask cause my desk is cristal. and I love to have them kind of spensive right now, but hey someday.

Congrats for having one.

&lt;S&gt;