PDA

View Full Version : Stay with X-45 or go X-52? For those of you who made the jump...

SithSpeeder
03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
...I want your opinions.

I love my X-45. It's a bit creaky, but I'm very used to the controls of both the throttle and stick. It took me a long time to develop a good profile for it, but now it fits me like leather glove. Profile editor 3.2.0.11 is awesome for my needs (I have some great macros for starting multiple engines, etc.).

After the candle wax trick, the only problem I've had with it in three years plus now is that the main trigger is finally starting to go (I have to push it past the click point and jam it down to fire). Saitek is graciously providing a new switch (I'll have one of the hardware lads at work solder it in for me).

But should I go for the X-52? $100 at Amazon, $110 + tax instant gratification from CompUSA less than a mile away. It seems MUCH smoother than my X-45. Just dunno if it's "worth" it.

Any thoughts?

* _54th_Speeder *

P.S. I have CH rudder pedals, so I don't care about the rocker vs. twist thing. I use the rocker now for mixture change, may do the same with the twist. Also use TrackIR2 so hat switches are not used for views.

SithSpeeder
03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
...I want your opinions.

I love my X-45. It's a bit creaky, but I'm very used to the controls of both the throttle and stick. It took me a long time to develop a good profile for it, but now it fits me like leather glove. Profile editor 3.2.0.11 is awesome for my needs (I have some great macros for starting multiple engines, etc.).

After the candle wax trick, the only problem I've had with it in three years plus now is that the main trigger is finally starting to go (I have to push it past the click point and jam it down to fire). Saitek is graciously providing a new switch (I'll have one of the hardware lads at work solder it in for me).

But should I go for the X-52? $100 at Amazon, $110 + tax instant gratification from CompUSA less than a mile away. It seems MUCH smoother than my X-45. Just dunno if it's "worth" it.

Any thoughts?

* _54th_Speeder *

P.S. I have CH rudder pedals, so I don't care about the rocker vs. twist thing. I use the rocker now for mixture change, may do the same with the twist. Also use TrackIR2 so hat switches are not used for views.

El Turo
03-11-2006, 07:37 PM
My X45 died after a bit of use (well, died is a bit harsh.. it actually developed some bad center-play slop and had a few hat switches getting iffy and a button going on it).. I replaced it with the CH Fighterstick.

The good news: The Fighterstick is smooth like butter, and works just as perfectly today as it did the day I took it out of the box 4-5 years ago. Rock solid construction. I'm not sure I'll ever have to buy another stick at this rate. Programmability is top notch as well.

The bad news: It took me a few weeks to get used to the super light springs on the CH stick.. and I was hating life for those few weeks while I got used to flying the edge again without my usual tension-response of the X45. Also, not a huge fan of the hat/button placement on the Fighterstick.

Plus, if you get the CH stick, then you can still use your X45 throttle (which I find superior anyway), AND continue to use the X45 stick as a button bay (or just throw it in a drawer if you prefer).

steve_v
03-11-2006, 07:42 PM
I went with a CH Fighterstick (https://magnum-pc.securewebsiteserver.net/product_info.php?cPath=84&products_id=316) in conjunction with ch pedals, and continue to use the throttle from my x-45. Seeing as the fighterstick and x-52 are the same price, its worth considering.

Tully__
03-12-2006, 01:08 AM
I have the X-52 after using the 45 for nearly 3 years. Both are good sticks. You're right about the 52 feeling much smoother and it's a bit easier to make really fine adjustments to flight direction with but the twist rudder is possibly a step backwards if you really like the 45's rocker.

I'd say if you're happy with the 45 stay with it, but if you have a spare $100 lying around check out both the 52 and the CH gear recommended above (the CH stick can be used with the X-45 throttle)

GAU-8
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
i made the jump from X45 to X52.

i REALLy liked the x45 for all of its functionality...and for the price it was a good trade off. my problem was that i have owned 3. the problem was that every one of them developed bad habits...after 3 months. all of them. but none of them had the same problems that the other 2 had. now granted, i could switch out bad parts with known good ones.

well i got tired of THAT. so i bought the x52.

my DISLIKES!- input is LIGHT (us x45 users developed quite the forearm)
no rocker on the throttle (woulda been nice if they kept it for any reason (added axis)
its a twist stick (but you can lock the funtion out...but hey it is an added azis anyways)

what i LIKE- its smooth.
it recenters
no slack anywhere
no spiking in axis
no buttons popping off
no lights not working
no problems...
NO PROBLEMS!!!

had a year and a half now. NO problems. none.

i would recomend the x52. for the price, its the way to go to get a COMPLETE HOTAS unit. thats what this thread is about. so i wont go into CH products. but they are good to for the money as well. sold individually tho.

TC_Stele
03-12-2006, 09:52 PM
X-52 all the way. I had two X-45 sticks that died on me with the same problem. Throttle died both times and the stiffness of the stick was a bit unbearable. X-52 is silky smooth with the stick and throttle is holding up well. I'd go with 52 even if it was uglier than the 45.