PDA

View Full Version : Repetiveness

amster1985
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
A critic mentioned this in a review and it made slightly alarmed.

As everyone on this forum knows, there are nine figures to assassinate that are part of the MAIN story (not side missions and stuff).

And for each mission, it's basically learning about the person you're about to assassinate from people talking, hunting people for answers, etc.. then finally getting to them and assassinating them.

Now here's that part I'm wondering: not on the first, or the second time but on the seventh and eighth time, won't this get kind of repetitive?

I mean it's the same formula: learn about, hunt, kill guards, assassinate.

I'm guessing there'll be some diversity among assassinations so does anyone know or can think of some possible twists they can do to make each assassination different to another?

amster1985
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
A critic mentioned this in a review and it made slightly alarmed.

As everyone on this forum knows, there are nine figures to assassinate that are part of the MAIN story (not side missions and stuff).

And for each mission, it's basically learning about the person you're about to assassinate from people talking, hunting people for answers, etc.. then finally getting to them and assassinating them.

Now here's that part I'm wondering: not on the first, or the second time but on the seventh and eighth time, won't this get kind of repetitive?

I mean it's the same formula: learn about, hunt, kill guards, assassinate.

I'm guessing there'll be some diversity among assassinations so does anyone know or can think of some possible twists they can do to make each assassination different to another?

MiniAssasin
11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
think of it this way

tetris very addictive repetative game, same with lumines and the likes

fps games all the same same basic formula you do the same thing all the way through each and every game

sports games you do the same thing every time

car games

rts games same thing build base make units attack/ win

----

all games are repetative. dont forget though each city is divided into 3 districs they will all be different, different lookin people, routs things you can climp safe points etc etc. each target will be different, have diff info on them, each city is very different from each other and is huge, blah blah

then comes the kill each target will be doing a different thing, like we have brave ones coward ones some are defended some arent some are in public some arent then you got options lots of them

then your escaping, it will be a different part of the city for each main kill which will mean that they all have different escap routs, on top of the fact that you can go anywhere to escape.

now also add the fact that apparently when ya replay missions you can do it completely different than you did the first time...it has a lot of replay value and freshness.

i think you'l be racking up a very large no-life gamer score beforee you get ored of it then they will release the sequel :P happy gaming

blkassassin92
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
acually yea it will but i hope the sidequests are good

Lordgrunty11
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
it will change pratically every time because the AI will go different ways depending on what you're doing.

avsrule247
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Name one game that never gets repetitive? There is repetitive gameplay in ALL games EVER made! Assassin's Creed will no doubt get repetitive after playing it over and over about 100 times, but with most games they get boring after the second time...

P_Gryffin101
11-06-2007, 06:23 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

amster1985
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
lol, I'm not being negative. I'm simply stating that by the time you get to the eighth assassination, it may be slightly repetitive.

Also, I'm not talking about replaying games.

And I just need to write this: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Name one game that never gets repetitive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practically all online games - COD 3, Socom, etc.. but I don't mean it like that, I mean playing the game the first time (not the 20th time).

avsrule247
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Online games don't get repetitive? But all you do is shoot. Can't that be considered repetition if Assassinating is considered that?

Kaxen6
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I got to play for three hours at the Secret Assembly and for my time inside the city almost all I did was save damsels in distress again and again...

&gt;_&gt; even if AC is repetitive, it's freakishly fun repetitive...

AzureAssassin
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about repetitiveness this soon, just enjoy the game for what it is. All games have an eventual repetitive point, but if it helps you any I bet Assassin's Creed's will be way longer than most other games.

amster1985
K - now it's getting slightly off topic.

Lemme' reword this: do you think there will be any twists among each assassination to spice it up and if so - what?

EDIT: Post was directed at avsrule though question is at everyone.

Though I do agree with Kaxen, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> &gt;_&gt; even if AC is repetitive, it's freakishly fun repetitive... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lb003g0676
Ever played Shadow of the Colossus?

well you had to take down nine huge monsters, and let me tell you, each of them were VERY similar. Now you can ask, did it get boring or repetitive? No!

So how this will be able to with different personalities, locations, side quests, escape routes and assassinations? I doubt it will.

amster1985
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I didn't mean this to upset people - I meant more as a discussion.

Rogue4152
11-06-2007, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lb003g0676:
Ever played Shadow of the Colossus?

well you had to take down nine huge monsters, and let me tell you, each of them were VERY similar. Now you can ask, did it get boring or repetitive? No!

So how this will be able to with different personalities, locations, side quests, escape routes and assassinations? I doubt it will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

16 actually, and each one was different in one way or another.

Otreum25
11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Damn, take a chill pill people.
The guy brought up a very valid question and you attack him for it, sheesh!

I agree about the repetativeness of the game, and any game for that matter. And I agree that it can be a deterrent.
Players usually force themselves to finish a game anyway, just because of the different locale and different ways of doing things. Heck, even the most linear games can have so many approaches (simply by using a different weapon).

I do think that for an assassination game however, there needs to be a fair amount of variation in the way a character finds his target. If your target just spawns into thin air and is scripted to walk to such and such place to hold a meeting, and you have to kill him and have all day to do so, thats just ****. There is no difficulty there at all, and every gameplay experience would be the same, no matter which way you tackle the objective.

I'd rather the targets that I need to assassinate have to do their own thing in the city, they have to travel from place to place and do things that they would normally do, kindof like hitman games, your target doesnt just sit in the one spot waiting for you, but does a cycle of things so that you can:
A: attack the person in the toilet
B: poison the persons drink
C: shoot them in the open
D: disguise yourself as someone with authority and follow the target to their room

etc
etc

Rather than assassins creeds more scripted (not coded) style assassinations where, you pickpocket a person, bash up another person, talk to another person, and then your target comes out of a building, travels to a location, and pretty much waits for you to take the kill.
THEN you have to decide which angle to approach from, which doesnt really matter since you're doing the same thing to the target everytime, and that is stabbing them in the neck with your wrist blade, woopee, talk about variation...

I'm not saying this will stop me from playing assassins creed, It is my most anticipated game this year, even crysis doesnt have me riled up like this does. I've waited for a game like assassins creed for so long, since the very first 3d prince of persia game "Prince of Persia 3d".
But this is a concern, only with time, games will improve. Game developers should stop being developers and start being gamers in order to see what gamers really want in a game. There is no use in creating a brilliant idea and concept without the things that gamers are waiting for.

I have to go now, so thats my opinion on the matter.

And c'mon guys, settle down, this isn't any call for flaming one another, amster brought up a relevant discussion and you bash him for it. How sad.