PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my Rig...Suggestions?

ReligiousZealot
03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Now, I know it's not kosher to have started 2 threads a day apart, but this is just a question for you guys out there about upgrading my machine to enhance my Pacific Fighters experience.

This is what I currently am running (taken Directly from Direct X Diagnostics):

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-6712
BIOS: Version 07.00T
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Description: SB Audigy Audio [E800]
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0443 (English)

Just curious about what you guys think I should update/upgrade or purchase to enhance my PF+FB+AEP experience?

Not sure if this has been asked before (couldn't find it when I searched), but is there anyway to get reflective water effects with my video card? I know its impossible to get the sheer splendor of Shading 3.0 properties, but I was curious if anyone had found a way to get something other than the flat drab blue. I remember seeing a pic from someone on the Netwings forums claiming they did it with an ATI.

Patch_whiner
03-15-2005, 11:17 AM
ReligiousZealot,

the luxury of upgrading from a high spec system. Adding a radeon 9800pro (256 bit) would help. Otherwise you are looking at a rather expensive Athlon64 3500-4000 with an ATI radeon X800 pro 256MB and a new MB. Alternatively if you like brute force solutions get a Nvidia 6800GT. You are definitely on the high cost/small improvement part of the curve. I was thinking the other day how once you go over 1024 x 768 how much additional strain is put on the system. Especiallay a game like PF where you staring at the blurred horizon for hours on end. However I am sure people would severly disagree with this point of view.

PW

Supr
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I think you've got enough ummphhh, to drive one of the newer vid cards. Look into a x800 or a 6800. That may be your best bang for buck and should also ride with you into your next mobo/cpu. If you do get a new card and fell your cpu is holding you back, you could also try to oc it a bit (if you feel comfortable doing that).

ReligiousZealot
03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, I had overclocked for a bit Supr, but when I was adding a new stick of 512 RAM (which I bought just to improve framerates for PF) I accidently broke one of my fans, so I had to drop it back to default settings. I was thinking the Nvidia 6800GT, but the price tag is a little high for my tastes. But I may just bite the bullet and go for it. Would the 9800 be better for getting better looking graphics, or should I go with the 6800GT on that premise?

Supr
03-15-2005, 02:23 PM
well, I have a 9800 pro AIW, with a AMD barton core @ ~2400mhz. I love it and am happy with the prformance of all my games. PF, nascar simracing, HL2, farcry, doom3 to name a few. they are all newer games, and they all work great. So, its still a very viable system.

The issue is that if you go with a 9800, it may not carry you into your next system. By contrast, one of the new generation, upper level cards might. There seems to be a big jump between this latest card generation(6800/x800's) and the previous one(9800's and 5900's)

If you did want to save a few dollars, I might look at a 6600. They seem to out run the 9800 is all the newer games and cost about the same. maybe you could find a used 9800 for cheap, and that may be an option to tide you over for the next 6 month or so. There is a pretty good jump up from a 9600 toa 9800, but certianly not like stepping up into one of the new cards. They also have some "lite" models of thw 6800 and x800 which may be more economical for you and still provide you some future benefits. You shoudl look at some of the reviews for them.

Good luck, I guess the choice is really depends on your wallet and your future plans.

jarink
03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
While your rig is perferctly adequate (heck, it beats mine), if you really want to upgrade something, the video card would be the easiest to upgrade and would likely produce the most visible (ha, ha) change in the game. Not all of the newest cards are available in AGP form, so check before you buy.

CPU/mobo: You're at the top end already for the Athon XP. Going any faster would require a new mobo, CPU and possibly memory. One other thing to consider is PCI Express support on a new board. Of course, that would mean a new video card, too.

Shakthamac
03-15-2005, 06:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ReligiousZealot:

Not sure if this has been asked before (couldn't find it when I searched), but is there anyway to get reflective water effects with my video card? I know its impossible to get the sheer splendor of Shading 3.0 properties, but I was curious if anyone had found a way to get something other than the flat drab blue. I remember seeing a pic from someone on the Netwings forums claiming they did it with an ATI. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can get nice reflections with your ATI card. Make sure water is set to perfect under your extended video options in the set up and that should give you something. If thats not enough change your water setting in the config.ini file in the game folder to 1 or 2.

The water line will be at the bottom of the page in the file.

As far as your rig goes, I would really only consider upgrading the video card at this point. And, I would go with a 6600,6800, etc, or one of the newest ATI cards. A 9800 would make things run a bit faster and look a bit better, but its still going to hold you back, whereas the 6800's etc will be good for quite a while.

As far as PCI-Express goes... do whatever. Personally I would wait til I was sure all the kinks were ironed out before buying that type of setup.

fordfan25
03-15-2005, 11:25 PM
id just get a new card. if you can spend above 250$ us. then maby think about a 6800gt or a x800pro but if you just want a great card that wont drain your cash then the 6600gt is a great bang 4 buck right now and would complament that cpu well.

pauldun171
03-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't be like me...

I have a P4 2.8c and 9800Pro that served me well for the past year that is about to be replaced by an AMD64 3800 /ATI X800XL as my gaming machine.

TheRealWulfmann
03-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I have been contemplating an upgrade as I do CFS3 and that is more taxing (at least all agree on that point LOL) than IL-2.
I have a 2700, one GIG DDR400PC3200RAM a 9800128MB VC etc and want better 100 plane massive scenery performance as it runs the normal stuff super now.
One way to look at this is if you get an AGP X800 the money you would save by waiting for the 3500-4000 system coming down in price you will save even more by waiting and I think you would run IL-2 maxed out.
You would hate to get a 64 bit system only to find the bench mark is a little higher than your system when all these guys make 64 only type sims.
Tha won't happen? Trust them, they are corporations!!!!!!!!
The other thing I would consider is a new mobo if yours does not take a SATA HD which will also give you a boost and you would be able to move that to your new system a year or 2 from now.
Changing out the mobo is not that hard like legos in a way.
There are some tech forums that might help. Here is one

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board?board.id=hardware&page_of_message_id=27865

TR Wulfmann

Qbeesh800
03-17-2005, 12:18 AM
For one gf6800gt card i could buy my whole computer once again...the costs are the same.