PDA

View Full Version : Is IL2 still the best? ...... what about heli & jet sims?

nick1958
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I've just found out about the Trackir which I will almost certainly get, and thought I'd reinstall IL2 from years back!
Can some one update me as to the latest sims. Is IL2 still the best? I had European Air War (Microprose) many years ago which I thought was good?
Also any thoughts on the current best heli & jets (combat) sims.
Many thanks
Nick

nick1958
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I've just found out about the Trackir which I will almost certainly get, and thought I'd reinstall IL2 from years back!
Can some one update me as to the latest sims. Is IL2 still the best? I had European Air War (Microprose) many years ago which I thought was good?
Also any thoughts on the current best heli & jets (combat) sims.
Many thanks
Nick

knightflyte
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
IL2 is the sentimental favorite. It's my personal fave. With 200 flyable planes there is a lot of diversity.

IL2 has bloomed into a huge sim. It's not the 13 plane game the original one is. The latest and most recommended version is IL2 1946. It's compatible with most every online server. It contains planes from 1939 through 1946. (a few imaginary planes too)

I like Rowans Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory too. There are a group of guys who have done great work improving that sim. From reworked flight models to ground and plane textures the improvements are amazing. It supports Track IR beautifully, and incorpotrates 6DOF. You can lean in toward the site... or sideways to peer out of your cabin to see where you are taxiing.

I prefer IL2. There's something elusive that puts it above BoB for me. Down low IL2 is more realistic as far as environment goes. Up high BoB:WoV shines well.

All sims have their good points and bad. You can't go wrong with either game. OR BOTH.

One thing about the original IL2 and Track IR (I'm asuming you mean the original IL2 that was released in 2001) It doesn't support enhanced mode of Tr IR. You'll always be futzing around trying to keep the view centered. Swing your head to look over your shoulder (in game of course) and the view won't return to exact center.

If you like IL2 spend 20ish bucks for IL2 1946. It's the whole shebang, and supports Track IR enhanced mode. You can set up a dead zone and have a good experience with Track IR and IL2.

crucislancer
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, as far as WWII air combat goes, pick up IL-2 1946. You won't get bored with it. Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory is pretty good as well, though it's focus is on the Battle of Britain, while IL-2 1946 has maps for ETO, PTO, Eastern Front, MTO.......Yup, lot's of stuff in that one!

Jet sims? I prefer Lock On: Modern Air Combat, mainly because I like flying the Su-27/33 and the A-10, but it's a system hog on a mid level PC.

Falcon 4 Allied Force is a big favorite among jet heads, but I haven't played it since the original release of Falcon 4 came out nearly a decade ago. That sim has long legs!

I haven't played any Helicopter sims in ages, ever since Longbow 2. But, there is a Helicopter add-on for Lock On called Black Shark, but it's not out yet. Enemy Engaged 2 recently came out, but I haven't seen a good review of it yet. There is a Vietnam heli sim called Whirlwind Vietnam, but that got some bad reviews. So, not much on the heli front, though like I said I haven't touched one quite some time.

nudibranches
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I grabbed Falcon 4 a few years ago, it's very, very, very (recurring off the page) involved in terms of the technical expertise you need to acquire to become proficient with the weapons systems etc.

I guess purists will argue it's a flight simulator as opposed to a "game", in much the same way IL-2 is, although with this SIM you generally engage the other guy with MGs or cannons.

Far simplier and, for me, more fun.

VW-IceFire
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
IL-2 is still the best in my mind if you consider the diversity of aircraft available, the kinds of maps that are available, and the multiplayer and campaign building aspects both which add huge replayability (some of the other sims have that too but not all together is my point).

tagTaken2
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
'Best' is pretty subjective...

The most FUN and IMMERSIVE sim I've played was MiG Alley. But that loses out to Il-2 on many levels including the most important, stability!
BoB:WoV uses the same engine plus lots of developer love.
I'm playing Falcon 4 Red Viper at the moment, pretty intense, amazing attention to detail and more of a learning wall than a curve.
But I'd give Il-2 a 'best' simply because I've had thousands of hours of pleasure out of it.

Bearcat99
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
IMO IL2 is still te best WWII combat flight sim on the market...

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-10-2008, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
IMO IL2 is still te best WWII combat flight sim on the market... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In anyone's learned opinion, IL2:46 is THE best WWII sim ever created. Yes, it's subjective...kinda like pretty and ugly, but the naysayers are only jealous (stigler). For sheer scope of aircraft, maps, scenarios, flight model and damage model, it still rules and easily will until late '08 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TB

buzz999_077
01-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Il2 IS the best sim IMO! The number of planes, maps, and objects combined with the best mission builder makes it far and away the best combat sim.
You can make endless missions and every time you play them the outcome is different. I have played Il2 for so long now that I can not play any game with a script in it.

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2008, 11:29 AM
IL2 is still the best WWII flight sim out there, but BOBwov is very close to it and uses TIR 6D0F fully (you can look all about the cockpit and even out of it!.)

As for Jet and Heli sims, well there`s apache/havoc 2 which is rubbish, but its predecesser is still good. there`s falcon4, while good is VERY complex....

buddye1
01-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I also love IL2. I have been flying IL2:46 for about a year now and unfortunately my learning progress is slow as I have very limited time.

I spend most of my time coding BOBII with the BDG so I have to force time each week for IL2.

The best is subjective like women with each package having advantages and disadvantages. I purchased IL2:46 to have a detail look at the AI (which is an area of interest) but I now like sooo many other areas of IL2 but not so much the AI.

Airmail109
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
BlackShark will be out this year, you'll be able to fly the Russian Ka-50

Bremspropeller
01-10-2008, 12:49 PM
The question is, who wants to fly that POS?

Get in a western fighter-bomber and I'm back in LOMAC, but with that "what-if" planes on the russian side, thanks...

Airmail109
01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
The question is, who wants to fly that POS?

Get in a western fighter-bomber and I'm back in LOMAC, but with that "what-if" planes on the russian side, thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm Ka-50 is in production, its not a POS either. Yeah the avionics are up to scratch with western eqivilents, but the airframes awesome..one of the best. Also the Israelis are doing a version with western avionics.

Firstly it has contro rotating props which means no vunerable tail rotor.

Secondly, it has an ejection seat.

Thirdly, its fast.

Fouthly, its got some serious armor protection.

Fithly, its meant to be very reliable and very very low maintanence.

Bremspropeller
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
It's a helicopter =&gt; POS

How many Ka-50s are in service?
A handfull? Two hands full?

I'd rather fly a Mudhen, a Bug or a Viper any day.
Even a Tornado would beat that sucker any day the week.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Falcon4 is way more complicated than LOMAC. That much is true for sure. But it still has the most advanced interactive campaign-system on the market. There is a full war going on, not just a few targets somebody placed between your waypoints.

The BlackShark-Sim will go in the same direction. There is a 20minute video showing only the *primary* map-functions that will be simulated! Awesome.
Whirlwind over Vietnam is nice but it looks pretty cheap and Enemy Engaged 2 seems to be worse than the Enemy Engaged 1 with the new texture- and graphics-addons.

joeap
01-10-2008, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
It's a helicopter =&gt; POS

How many Ka-50s are in service?
A handfull? Two hands full?

I'd rather fly a Mudhen, a Bug or a Viper any day.
Even a Tornado would beat that sucker any day the week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that's your opinion, some people would like to fly helicopters.

crucislancer
01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeap:
No that's your opinion, some people would like to fly helicopters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I'd love to get my hands on a game like Longbow 2 again.