PDA

View Full Version : 200K- is it just me??

Foehammer-1
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It seems that ppl with GWX have a better chance of scoring 200K per patrol. Things unseen in stock SH3 like Pyro freighters, Large 11,000 ton merchants, whale factories, and the like...

How would you guys feel about making two separate 200K threads- one for GWX users, and the other for those with the stock game- like Stinkhammer who scored the first 200K patrol in stock game?

Foehammer-1
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It seems that ppl with GWX have a better chance of scoring 200K per patrol. Things unseen in stock SH3 like Pyro freighters, Large 11,000 ton merchants, whale factories, and the like...

How would you guys feel about making two separate 200K threads- one for GWX users, and the other for those with the stock game- like Stinkhammer who scored the first 200K patrol in stock game?

WilhelmSchulz.
02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Still 200K is still a mean feat. No matter what mods.

KaleunFreddie
02-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry to be so pedantic....

Realism factor .. please!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Karl_Donitz_Jr
02-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry to be such an iriot here, but 200K? I am having enough trouble getting 50K at the moment. I admit I am in a VIIB, but I had 2 100K+ patrols before I installed Grey Wolves and none since. Is it just me or are ships harder to sink in Grey Wolves?

PhantomKira
02-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, 200k, but you have to really, and I mean really cherry-pick. Took me two and a half months with a IXC in the Med, and that was after bagging a Nelson and King George V. I hit five different convoys at least, and only took the biggest ships, of course (T3 tankers and troop transports). Stock 1.4b install. Don't know that I'll be trying for it again. It was an interesting goal, but got to be a pain after a while. Completely unrealistic too, of course.

TheRealPotoroo
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
It seems that ppl with GWX have a better chance of scoring 200K per patrol. Things unseen in stock SH3 like Pyro freighters, Large 11,000 ton merchants, whale factories, and the like... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why not just add them to your stock game via JSGME? That's what I've done, plus I've modified my Campaign_RND.mis file so I get a better mix of ships in convoys.

Foehammer-1
02-28-2007, 06:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealPotoroo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
It seems that ppl with GWX have a better chance of scoring 200K per patrol. Things unseen in stock SH3 like Pyro freighters, Large 11,000 ton merchants, whale factories, and the like... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why not just add them to your stock game via JSGME? That's what I've done, plus I've modified my Campaign_RND.mis file so I get a better mix of ships in convoys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait a second... I haven't been on this forum for a while until I returned, but I didn't know you can get those ships on their own. Can you please explain what you meant? Where do you find them, how do you install them, and what exactly do you have to edit? Many thanks in advance!

TheRealPotoroo
02-28-2007, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealPotoroo:
Why not just add them to your stock game via JSGME? That's what I've done, plus I've modified my Campaign_RND.mis file so I get a better mix of ships in convoys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait a second... I haven't been on this forum for a while until I returned, but I didn't know you can get those ships on their own. Can you please explain what you meant? Where do you find them, how do you install them, and what exactly do you have to edit? Many thanks in advance! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are heaps of stand-alone ships, mostly merchants. Some are on UBRS, some are on individual modder's sites or their download site pages. At last count, AG124 from SubSim has 8 ships he's made available for download, including the Pyro Ammunition Carrier and the Converted Whale Factory ship. From memory, I had to fix up his folder structure to suit JSGME but it wasn't hard. Also from memory, the Large Cargo is in the Additional Merchants mod at UBRS, but to get the full tonnage you'll need to edit SH3 Commander's Ship displacements.cfg file. The instructions on how to mod the convoy mix you'll Find in this forum.

Ant__.
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
As a proud member of the 200k club - 217,794 IXB and 243,377 IXC, I can only endorse what PhantomKira has said. You must have a lot patience, be pepared to let a lot of sitting ducks go on their way in order to save your torps for higher tonnage targets, every torp counts, pretty much every sinking must be a one shot - one kill and the patrol will probably be one of your longest, time wise, too.

My 243,377 tonnes in an IXC boat I used every torp and every deck gun shell, I returned to base with nothing left at all. I was quite lucky in fairness, I encountered TWO task forces on that patrol.

It can be achieved, but I agree you have to remember it's far from realistic, and just for fun.

Das_Hund
02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
GWX- 1940 -approx eight 20k tankers in port in Caraco-Neutrals though!!!
Also heading to Bridgtown from the south west are Daily 3 x 20k tanker convoys not always neutrals.
Takes a long time to get there but its great hunting for big scores. Weather can be a problem for surface attacks though.

Karl_Donitz_Jr
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
20K tankers? The largest I have EVER seen in GreyWolves (Late '41 now) is a standard T3 @ 11K

wm4668
03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Karl_Donitz_Jr:
20K tankers? The largest I have EVER seen in GreyWolves (Late '41 now) is a standard T3 @ 11K </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GWX does increase tonnages for Tankers and Large Cargoes, I must admit my new career in GWX has become a bit of a tonnage spree due to this and the Proteus Colliers I added in. I was going to pass on SH4 being a Kaleun at heart, but am seriously contemplating trying it out for a new experience - I have to think twice which setting up a shot on Allied ships though! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

aaronblood
03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I dunno... I guess a game is a game and all.

I've never had any desire to play it that way though. Would just take me outta the experience to cherry-pick my way thru ships.

Ya know those real skippers wouldn't dare let a decent target go by without flinging 1 or 2 fish.

I played like 80 hrs before I happened upon a patrol where I encountered two cruise ships in one tour and managed to break the 100 barrier. Even in that patrol, once I bagged those two I started pickin targets and found it wasn't that much fun.

I guess I can respect those who like to shoot for the 200 mark...

I just don't see it as much of a badge of skill, as opposed to patience and ability to manage saved games.

You'd impress me far more with your dead-reckoning ability to determine distance and AoB.

tuddley3
03-02-2007, 01:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Realjambo:
As a proud member of the 200k club - 217,794 IXB and 243,377 IXC, I can only endorse what PhantomKira has said. You must have a lot patience, be pepared to let a lot of sitting ducks go on their way in order to save your torps for higher tonnage targets, every torp counts, pretty much every sinking must be a one shot - one kill and the patrol will probably be one of your longest, time wise, too.

My 243,377 tonnes in an IXC boat I used every torp and every deck gun shell, I returned to base with nothing left at all. I was quite lucky in fairness, I encountered TWO task forces on that patrol.

It can be achieved, but I agree you have to remember it's far from realistic, and just for fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I agree also. What normally takes someone 1 1/2 hrs to do a patrol, now can take 3 or 4 hours. This is when you yell to the wife, "MORE COFFEE/TEA Honey, My head keeps bouncing off the monitor"

Also, when you install new ships, make sure to place them in more than one folder in the Roster/Sea folders. Now more countries will have bigger ships to sink than before. Like DivingDucks Speedboat, I see it in every Port I go to.