PDA

View Full Version : tracer graphics

Choctaw111
02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Here are two screenies taken at slightly different distances (only one click difference). In the one pic you can clearly see the tracer rendered in 3D and in the other which is just slightly further away the tracers are not rendered in 3D anymore and I think they look better and are more realistic this way when NOT rendered in 3D. For the sake of realism is there a way that the tracers can be changed so that they are not rendered in 3D anymore as when they are rendered in 3D they just do not look right.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/il2fb2006-02-2412-05-42-32.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/il2fb2006-02-2412-05-49-70.jpg

Choctaw111
02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Here are two screenies taken at slightly different distances (only one click difference). In the one pic you can clearly see the tracer rendered in 3D and in the other which is just slightly further away the tracers are not rendered in 3D anymore and I think they look better and are more realistic this way when NOT rendered in 3D. For the sake of realism is there a way that the tracers can be changed so that they are not rendered in 3D anymore as when they are rendered in 3D they just do not look right.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/il2fb2006-02-2412-05-42-32.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/il2fb2006-02-2412-05-49-70.jpg

FritzGryphon
02-24-2006, 06:16 PM
The difference between the two is the mipmap level (texture resolution), which makes far tracers appear like solid rectangles.

If they were that way close up, they would very blatently look like yellow rectangles.

But I agree, that a tracer should look more like a streak, rather than a teardrop shape. The teardrop makes it look like a laser or blob.

Or better yet, draw the tracer as a glowing point, like it's supposed to be. It's only the exposure time on a camera that makes it look like a streak. In pilot accounts, I find tracers are usually described as golf balls or dots.

Choctaw111
02-24-2006, 06:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
The difference between the two is the mipmap level (texture resolution), which makes far tracers appear like solid rectangles.

If they were that way close up, they would very blatently look like yellow rectangles.

But I agree, that a tracer should look more like a streak, rather than a teardrop shape. The teardrop makes it look like a laser or blob.

Or better yet, draw the tracer as a glowing point, like it's supposed to be. It's only the exposure time on a camera that makes it look like a streak. In pilot accounts, I find tracers are usually described as golf balls or dots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true. They do look like golf balls or dots it you are directly behind them but if you are off to the side they look like streaks. Even the human eye has trouble seeing things clearly when they move fast. Just take a look at a spinning wheel on a car. It is very impossible to make out what it really looks like until the car slows down enough. It just looks like a blur at speed just like a tracer appears as a streak from the side. IF the tracers were modeled as dots or golf balls in this sim they would be very hard to see from the side and would not look realistic at all and certainly would not give the illusion of speed. That is the one thing that really bothered me about the older combat flight sims in that the tracers were protrayed as dots and did not look good at all. If I recall the first combat flight sim that showed tracers as streaks was Dynamix Aces of the Pacific and the sequal Aces over Europe in the mid 1990's.
Bottom line is that the tracers should appear as streaks only and not of the tear drop modeling. Can this easily be fixed? It also seems that this would save some compute cycles even if only a little.

zoomar
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Interesting skin on the 335, BTW