PDA

View Full Version : PF Newbie: This Is Tough!

Coonskin
09-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Now that I'm trying to fly, I'm learning just what an idiot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif I must be. For example:

* The landing gear won't respond to the "G" key in the F4F?

* I tried the Allied Carrier Take Off mission (after watching the training vid) and can't seem to get the brakes to release so I can begin the attempt? Engine 110%, flaps in the "Take Off" position... release the B key: Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

I also note there's a BUNCH of commands that are "User Defined"... is there a recommended key chart somewhere to define such? And, what is your preferred joystick button assignment for the priority in-game functions?

Wonder if I'll ever get to engage the Enemy... or will they flunk me out of flight school and send me home??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Any input genuinely appreciated.

Coonskin
09-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Now that I'm trying to fly, I'm learning just what an idiot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif I must be. For example:

* The landing gear won't respond to the "G" key in the F4F?

* I tried the Allied Carrier Take Off mission (after watching the training vid) and can't seem to get the brakes to release so I can begin the attempt? Engine 110%, flaps in the "Take Off" position... release the B key: Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

I also note there's a BUNCH of commands that are "User Defined"... is there a recommended key chart somewhere to define such? And, what is your preferred joystick button assignment for the priority in-game functions?

Wonder if I'll ever get to engage the Enemy... or will they flunk me out of flight school and send me home??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Any input genuinely appreciated.

LEXX_Luthor
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
You must releace "Chocks" before carrier takeoff roll (same with Test Runways, but we'll tallk about them as you get more deeply mired in the sim). Chock control does not come mapped by default (I don't think). I mapped mine to the spacebar.

I-16 (in FB) and F4F (in PF) have manual crank for landing gear raise/lower. About 40 cranks (or 40 pushes on keyboard). You must map them to keys in control menu -- they don't come mapped by default (I think). Its called Manual Landing Gear or something like that (I forgot). If you fly F4F alot, I suggest mapping manual gear down to "D" and manual gear up to "G" , and map something like Ctrl+G and Ctrl+D to powered landing gear up and down. This allows you to hit the "G" or "D" key 40 times withouth having to hold down the Ctrl key.

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

Skycat_2
09-24-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't know if this will help you or not; I'm going to post how I defined my controls settings. Please note that I use a Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 Joystick with throttle and twisty-stick rudder, so some functions are mapped to the stick (and usually to keyboard as well). I like using keys that have a letter that reminds me of the function, so many things are changed because of that. This was copied from the "Users/Doe/settings" document in the game folder:
------------------------

[HotKey pilot]
NumPad-4=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_MINUS
NumPad-3=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_PLUS
NumPad-2=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_PLUS
NumPad-1=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_MINUS
NumPad-0=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_0
Z=RudderLeft
Y=AIRCRAFT_GEAR_DOWN_MANUAL
Joystick4 JoystickDevice0=AIRCRAFT_FLAPS_NOTCH_DOWN
W=Boost
V=AIRCRAFT_FLAPS_NOTCH_DOWN
U=AIRCRAFT_GEAR_UP_MANUAL
T=AIRCRAFT_TAILWHEELLOCK
Shift Z=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_0
Shift X=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_0
R=Radiator
N=AIRCRAFT_STABILIZER
Joystick5 JoystickDevice0=AIRCRAFT_FLAPS_NOTCH_UP
H=AIRCRAFT_CARRIERHOOK
Ctrl Z=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_MINUS
G=Gear
F=WINGFOLD
E=AIRCRAFT_TOGGLE_ENGINE
Ctrl X=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_R_PLUS
D=AIRCRAFT_TOGGLE_AIRBRAKE
C=AIRCRAFT_BRAKESHOE
B=Brake
Ctrl T=AIRCRAFT_DROP_TANKS
Equals=AIRCRAFT_POWER_PLUS_5
9=Power90
8=Power80
7=Power70
6=Power60
Insert=SIGHT_AUTO_ONOFF
5=Power50
4=Power40
3=Power30
2=Power20
1=Power0
0=Power100
Slash=AIRCRAFT_RUDDER_CENTRE
Ctrl A=AIRCRAFT_DOCK_UNDOCK
Period=AIRCRAFT_RUDDER_RIGHT_1
Shift 4=Step90
Shift 3=Step60
Comma=AIRCRAFT_RUDDER_LEFT_1
Shift 2=Step30
Shift 1=Step0
Shift 0=StepAuto
Down=SIGHT_DIST_MINUS
Joystick0 JoystickDevice0=Weapon0
Right=SIGHT_SIDE_RIGHT
Up=SIGHT_DIST_PLUS
Left=SIGHT_SIDE_LEFT
Alt C=COCKPITDOOR
Shift Up=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_0
Space=Weapon2
Shift Left=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_0
Joystick1 JoystickDevice0=Weapon1
Ctrl Down=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_PLUS
Ctrl Right=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_PLUS
Ctrl Up=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_MINUS
Underscore=AIRCRAFT_POWER_MINUS_5
Ctrl Left=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_MINUS
Joystick2 JoystickDevice0=Weapon2
Enter=Weapon0
NumPad-=StepMinus5
NumPad+=StepPlus5
NumPad-8=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_MINUS
NumPad-6=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_H_PLUS
Joystick3 JoystickDevice0=Weapon3
NumPad-5=AIRCRAFT_TRIM_V_0
Alt Space=Weapon3
[HotKey gunner]
MouseLeft=Fire
[HotKey aircraftView]
Ctrl F8=NextViewEnemyFollow
Ctrl F2=NextViewEnemy
Ctrl F1=CockpitShow
Alt F7=ViewEnemyDirectGround
Alt F6=ViewEnemyDirectAir
P=changeCockpit
Joystick6 JoystickDevice0=fovDec
Alt S=cockpitUp
Joystick7 JoystickDevice0=fovInc
Home=cockpitView0
End=fov70
PageDown=fov90
Delete=fov30
F8=OutsideViewFollow
F7=ViewEnemyGround
F6=ViewEnemyAir
F5=PadlockViewGround
F4=PadlockView
F3=OutsideViewFly
Shift F8=NextViewFollow
F2=OutsideView
Shift F7=ViewFriendGround
F1=CockpitView
Shift F6=ViewFriendAir
Shift F5=PadlockViewFriendGround
Backspace=CockpitShow
Shift F4=PadlockViewFriend
Shift F2=NextView
Shift F1=cockpitAim
[HotKey SnapView]
Pov90 JoystickPov0=Snap_2_0
Pov135 JoystickPov0=Snap_3_0
Pov180 JoystickPov0=Snap_0_m1
Pov225 JoystickPov0=Snap_m3_0
Pov270 JoystickPov0=Snap_m2_0
Pov315 JoystickPov0=Snap_m1_0
F9=SnapPanSwitch
Pov0 JoystickPov0=Snap_0_2
NumPad-9=Snap_1_0
Pov45 JoystickPov0=Snap_1_0
NumPad-7=Snap_m1_0
[HotKey PanView]
Pov90 JoystickPov0=PanRight2
Pov135 JoystickPov0=PanRight3
Pov180 JoystickPov0=PanDown
Pov225 JoystickPov0=PanLeft3
Pov270 JoystickPov0=PanLeft2
Pov315 JoystickPov0=PanLeft
Pov0 JoystickPov0=PanUp
NumPad-9=PanRight
Pov45 JoystickPov0=PanRight
NumPad-7=PanLeft
[HotKey orders]
9=order9
8=order8
7=order7
6=order6
5=order5
4=order4
3=order3
2=order2
1=order1
0=order0
Escape=deactivate
Tab=activate
[HotKey misc]
BackQuote=chat
S=toggleSmokes
O=onlineRating
N=toggleNavLights
M=pad
L=cockpitLight
I=iconTypes
A=autopilot
Shift B=ejectPilot
Ctrl L=toggleLandingLight
Ctrl I=showPositionHint
Ctrl D=cockpitDim
Alt M=showMirror

Dew-Claw
09-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Or you can just use VAC (voice activated commands)
and map a command to hit the key 50 times for you.
Then all you do is say "raise gear manually" and they crank up.

Ritter_Cuda
09-24-2005, 11:59 PM
come here for a start it will help you get a foundation to fly from
http://www.joint-ops.com/
Cuda

Skycat_2
09-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Now to tell you what some my personal control settings mean:
A = Autopilot.
A+Cntrl = dock/undock aircraft.
B = Brakes.
B+Shift = Bail out.
C = Chocks.
C+Alt = Canopy open/close.
D = Dive brake.
D+Cntrl = Dim gunsight reticle.
E = Engine on/off.
F = Flaps.
G = Gear up/down (automatic).
H = Hook (as in tailhook).
I = Icon types toggle.
I+Cntrl = Toggle speedbar.
J,K = not used.
L = Lights in cockpit.
L+Cntrl = Landing lights.
M = Map.
M+Alt = Mirror toggle.
N = Navigation lights on/off.
O = Online rating.
P = Position change (go to next station in bombers).
Q = not used.
R = Radiator position.
S = Smoke on/off.
S+Alt = Seat postion up/down.
T = Tailwheel lock.
T+Cntrl = Tanks (fuel) release.
U = Up manual gear.
V = flaps down.
W = WEP.
X = Time Skip.
Y = Down manual gear.
Z = rudder full left (by default).

Backspace = toggle on/off cockpit view.
Numpad keys = trim (8 is forward, 6 is right, 2 is back, 4 is left. 5 is aerlon trim nuetral. 1 is rudder trim left and 3 is rudder trim right).
Numpad keys (+) and (-) = Prop pitch.
Joystick trigger: weapon 1.
Joystick button 2: weapon 2.
Joystick button 3: weapon 3.
Joystick button 4: weapon 4.
Joystick button 5: flaps down in increments.
Joystick button 6: flaps up in increments.
Joystick button 7: cockpit zoom in.
Joystick button 8: cockpit zoom out.

Insert = Toggle P-51D gyroscopic gunsight reticle.
Arrow keys = adjust gyroscopic gunsight settings.

Coonskin
09-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks again for the input.

Essentially, I'm in the process of learning to fly. Dogfights with AI would be downright laughable at this point! Why, even landing on a landing field is a challenge... forget an aircraft carrier!

Oh well... I'm not very good... but it's kind of fun.

Ritter_Cuda
09-25-2005, 01:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coonskin:

Essentially, I'm in the process of learning to fly. Dogfights with AI would be downright laughable at this point! Why, even landing on a landing field is a challenge... forget an aircraft carrier!

Oh well... I'm not very good... but it's kind of fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
this is why you should check out
this is a flight school not a squad
Cuda

Chuck_Older
09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coonskin:

Pick one plane and stick with it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Onespirit2005
09-25-2005, 10:23 AM
The landing gear in the F4F is manually operated. YOu have to map keys to baise and lower the gear. Repeatedly pressing the appropriate key will raise or lower. You'll see "Gear up" or "Gear down" when finished.
On a crrier, you have to remove the chocks. Bring up the power to full, release the chaocks, and you're away.
All keys listed as "User defined" are just that...you define the ekys for that function. Click on the blank area where the key would normally appear and then assign a key. It might take you a bit to find a key)s) that will be best for you. I started off by looking for any key or combinations that weren't used yet.
Have a great flight!

Kuna15
09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

Pick one plane and stick with it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will second Chuck. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SnapdLikeAMutha
09-25-2005, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
Then all you do is say "raise gear manually" and they crank up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so cool, I owe you my first born!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

AOD_DieHard_X
09-25-2005, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda:

Cuda </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that! I just started with this sim myself and was fortunate enough to find Joint-Ops Flight School. I can't begin to tell you how much help they have been or how patient the instructors are. I really know you'd benefit from attending the Basic Flight School and learn landing, take-off, formation flying, bogie intrusion defense (hair-raising stuff!), navigation, communications, etc. I really felt like I was in a real flight school (except I lived after the crashes LOL). Do yourself a favor and sign up for the next class!

LePetit_Lapin
09-25-2005, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
Then all you do is say "raise gear manually" and they crank up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh.....how do you do that??

SnapdLikeAMutha
09-25-2005, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LePetit_Lapin:

Ooh.....how do you do that?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.dwvac.com/

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/reviews/vac_review.htm

Bongokid
09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda:

Cuda </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I concurr with Cuda and warmly recommend you joint-ops to learn flying with IL2, AEP and PF.

I attended their basic flight school last january, and greatly enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Bongokid

Rompnstompr
09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am an Air Warrior Vet...... great game. It was a much easier interface to deal with. I find all of this detail (although historically accurate) quite frustrating.

Is the joint-ops "school" a large investment in time? Is there a list of online servers available to make myself a target on? I have not found a good free source for locating a server.

Rompnstompr

LEXX_Luthor
09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Try practice flying with D3A.

AOD_DieHard_X
09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rompnstompr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am an Air Warrior Vet...... great game. It was a much easier interface to deal with. I find all of this detail (although historically accurate) quite frustrating.

Is the joint-ops "school" a large investment in time? Is there a list of online servers available to make myself a target on? I have not found a good free source for locating a server.

Rompnstompr </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the time investment for Joint-Ops is substantial. 2-3 hours 3x a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for about 2 1/2 weeks. But when you get done you'll have a good understanding of the sim and contact with plenty of good folks willing to share their knowledge with you.

-HH- Beebop
09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Coonskin;
Welcome to the forums.
I agree with Ritter_Cuda, Diehard and Bongokid. Joint Ops is an extremely valuable experience. I have several years of flight simming behind me and I have learned a lot. It's worth every minute of time you spend. Plus you can go on from basic flight school and learn the various "tricks" of your favorite plane(s). The instructors are very, very good and patient. As a result everyone learns even more.
Do yourself a favor and check them out here:

Joint Ops (http://www.joint-ops.com/)

Rompnstomper;
Welcome to the forums.
Try Hyperlobby. that's where most people fly online. all kinds of servers from quite easy to "Full Real/Full Switch" (every difficulty option enabled). Download the client here:

Hyperlobby (http://hyperfighter.sk/index.php)

Oh yeah, it's totaly free!

If either of you have any more questions, just ask. I think you'll find us a friendly and helpful bunch for the most part.

Coonskin
09-27-2005, 12:31 AM
The Joint Ops school looks like it would be very helpful.

Alas, my schedule isn't dependable. Essentially on call 24/7 as well as working some evenings.

Thanks much for all input/info.

Zjoek
09-27-2005, 02:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
On a crrier, you have to remove the chocks. Bring up the power to full, release the chaocks, and you're away.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No! Don't do that! At least not in a Zero. Tried that yesterday and the torque pulls you off the ship. Flaps to full, release chocks and increase power while countering torque with the rudder is my advice

Max.Power
09-27-2005, 03:03 AM
you ought to lock the tailwheel for carrier take offs.. it makes dealing with the full throttle torque easier, especially at speeds below those that lift the tail off of the deck.

Max.Power
09-27-2005, 03:13 AM
I meant to edit the above but I am having trouble (which is new to me).

So anyways, Professor ******ss and I would like to qualify the seemingly assinine comment above.

Torque is easier to compensate for at higher speeds. The locked tailwheel compensates for you until the tail lifts off, at which point controlling the aircraft inspite of the torque is much easier due to the higher ground speed.

Zjoek
09-27-2005, 04:51 AM
Lol you learn something new every day. Thanks for the advice, Max. I'll try it later/

MaxBruder
09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip Ritter Cuda.

FPSOLKOR
09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Do not worry, once You will meet with the enemy You will understand that it is the most easy part of all. there are two choises: either you will survive, or you will get killed. On the landing yo have one choise: to get on the ground, but outcome can vary. In real FP Schools thay say no matter how many you killed in the air, but destroying your plane on each landing is unacceptable. LEARN TO FLY!

BiOhAzZaRd88
09-29-2005, 12:41 AM
i dont know if ur even stil reading this post but all i do with te F4 is tap on and off the autopilot because it will raise the gear for you like hitting the g button for anyother plane.

alert_1
09-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Coonskin you are wellcome. Just forget all those advice and go online ASAP! We are waiting for you!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Just kidding of course http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Coonskin
09-29-2005, 07:23 AM
"Coonskin you are wellcome. Just forget all those advice and go online ASAP! We are waiting for you!"

Wow, you guys are all heart. So willing to help a newbie in online flying. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I'm touched. (Sniff) Really touched.

NOT. I can see it now... "Hey guys... look below... NOOOB! Bonzaiiiiiiiii!!!!!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif "coonskin"

Rompnstompr
09-29-2005, 07:49 PM
You guys are fun. I will try the Hyperlobby again (server not found the first couple of times), but, like Coon, I'm on the road so much, and also on call 24-7...........

Just lookin for some quick fun. I set up some missions (on easy, of course), and had a ball shooting down AI "avg" pilots. Got damaged a couple of times, and it made landing near impossible! I have a bit of respect for those that can fly full real! :-)

dieg777
10-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Just a headsup for this site

http://www.airwarfare.com/index.htm

for good info- check out the guides section

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm

and the unofficial manual here

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page

good luck