PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will You Buy SoW:BOB?

TheFamilyMan
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Seeing how every season seems to brings up the inevitable question (i.e. when?), here's a poll to see how rabid people are about getting 'Storm of War: Battle of Britain', aka SoW:BoB.

For me, it'll be once it's well known what is expected of the rig that runs it well. And I could see that expense delaying my purchase by year or so. How about you?

TheFamilyMan
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Seeing how every season seems to brings up the inevitable question (i.e. when?), here's a poll to see how rabid people are about getting 'Storm of War: Battle of Britain', aka SoW:BoB.

For me, it'll be once it's well known what is expected of the rig that runs it well. And I could see that expense delaying my purchase by year or so. How about you?

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, but with reservations. If it`s Pay to Play - No, even if I have to quit my squad. I also have reservations about this online-activation thing which I really do not approve of. So, I temper much of my eagerness with the acknowledgement that I may not actually buy it.

Chivas
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm fairly certain the pay for play never came from the lips of the developers. That idea was brought forth by the perenial gloom and doom vapouristas crowd on this forum. I'm sure the idea of pay for play was tossed about but won't be implemented in the SOW series.

If I remember correctly the idea may have come from a total on-line war sim based on the SOW engine where the player would be able to use Land and Sea assets aswell as Air. BUT that would be many years away if at all.

horseback
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
As I've said many times before, only if the AI is significantly improved, particularly the bomber gunners. If the people who do buy it the first month all start complaining that their Hurricane or Spit Is are being shredded long before they can come to grips with the bomber formation, or that the most dangerous planes in the air are the Boulton-Paul Defiant and the Me-110C, my fifty bucks or so is staying in my pocket.

I'm not that worried about how well my rigs will run the game; I remember how well Forgotten Battles ran on my old Athlon 2500+ with the ATI 9800Pro and half a Gig of plain vanilla DDR RAM. I had the occasional stutter when the AAA went into overdrive, but I still had tons of fun before my budget (and technology) allowed me to enjoy everything the current version of the game has to offer.

I have a pretty high-end rig now, so when SOW does finally come out of its cave, frame rates will probably not be my greatest concern.

cheers

horseback

WTE_Galway
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I also have reservations about this online-activation thing which I really do not approve of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The assumption that everyone is online and can easily activate online is quite misfounded. I seems to be based on some silly logic like "all of the members of our online forum are online therefore all players are online".

jarink
01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Considering the speed at which IL2:1946 hit the bargain bins, I'll probably wait a bit and be buying it for about $20 four months after it's released.

Chivas
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
Considering the speed at which IL2:1946 hit the bargain bins, I'll probably wait a bit and be buying it for about $20 four months after it's released. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats one way to guarantee the end of the SOW series.

Buzzsaw-
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Salute

Anything by Oleg, I'll buy instantly, sight unseen.

He has given me many many hours of fun, for next to nothing.

lbuchele
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
Considering the speed at which IL2:1946 hit the bargain bins, I'll probably wait a bit and be buying it for about $20 four months after it's released. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, after years of hard working that┤s a hell of a good way to say: thanks, Oleg.

ImMoreBetter
01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I'll buy it on the day it comes out.

Not because I am fed up with waiting, in fact, I am waiting very patiently.

Why? Why not. Partisanship as gratitude.

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I will gladly buy it the day it ships with no reservations whatsoever.

S!

knightflyte
01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I'll have my sleeping bag on the mall sidewalk the night before so I can be the first to have it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Of course I'll buy this game the first day it's released. I've been waiting since the first tentative bits of information were released in 2004.

Gawd I hope the price doesn't reduce to $20.00 that quickly. (Though TBH IL2 46 wasn't a new game so it didn't warrant the long shelf life of a new game) MSCFS3 was still suprisingly the original price for a few years. I'd walk into Best Buy and see half a dozen of them there all for about $40.00. I still see it on occasion for $29.00.

Skoshi Tiger
01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
I went for option 1, but that should be read the day it is released in my city. I'll be ringing the shops until someone has it. It's a bumber living in a backwater like Perth.

The distributers normally recieve games in Melbourne or Sydney and then it takes two weeks (be sure) to get it over to the west side of Australia!

skarden
01-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Yep first day with a big *** smile on my mug
I'm also putting a litle money aside the speeding ticket I'll get on the way home http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tomus
01-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Just to say I have been playing IL2 in one of it's iterations since the day it was released in 2001. So over 7 years of consistently good gaming and its rarely if ever left my hard-drive. No other gaming series can come close to that.

I will be buying SOW the moment its released, if its anything like its predecessors. Then I am sure it will be brilliant.

PanzerAce
01-20-2009, 03:43 AM
I'll buy it the instant I can pre-order with an actual, hard date less than a month away from Oleg, not from some other company.

I'll also at that point build myself a rig that will do it justice on full real gfx (unless I'm hip deep in building a new engine for my car at that point, in which case the parts for the rig will have to sit till a cold day when I don't want to go outside).

CUJO_1970
01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Will buy it the second it hits the shelf.

Feathered_IV
01-20-2009, 03:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CUJO_1970:
Will buy it the second it hits the shelf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I pretty much will buy any of MG's products on principle. With the insane ammount of value I've gotten out of Olegs stuff so far, I reckon I owe it to him. Heck, if he quit flight sims and went off to design microwave ovens (like he once said) I'd probably buy one of those as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

x6BL_Brando
01-20-2009, 04:01 AM
+1 On the day it comes out.

B

DuxCorvan
01-20-2009, 04:07 AM
I'll buy it to support both Oleg and the genre, but I doubt I'll play it much if the offline gameplay experience does not improve a lot from the downhill, online-only party path Il-2 started with the AEP. Immersive scenarios, content-packed campaigns with enhances and new stuff being integrated as they become available, and most of all, non-Robocop gunners and credible AI behavior, will decide when I buy it, and when I play it.

Tully__
01-20-2009, 05:14 AM
I'll buy it as soon after release as the household budget reasonably allows.

mortoma
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I'll buy it for the offline component alone. So any of the horror stories about possible pay to play online has utterly no effect on me. I rarely fly online much as it is. If online flying was mostly coops and few DF rooms, I'd change my mind.
I don't mind an occasional coop but DF rooms are abhorrent to me. Yechh!!!!

ploughman
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
As soon as possible, yes. Even if it turns out my machine cannot run it. Just to be able to hold it, to look at it, to know the precious is mine.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I have the feeling with the way online will work differently that there will be far fewer airquake servers. From what Oleg says all online will resemble co-ops more.

JG52Uther
01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I have the feeling with the way online will work differently that there will be far fewer airquake servers. From what Oleg says all online will resemble co-ops more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That seems to be the way RoF is planning.
As for the price,and SoW hitting the 'bargain bins' its already available for pre order in the UK for around $20. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

http://www.play.com/Search.asp...earch&go.x=23&go.y=8 (http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=storm+of+war&page=search&pa=search&go.x=23&go.y=8)

ElAurens
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I'll have it as soon as I can lay my hands on a copy.

Gnomie
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I'll buy it at once. In fact I'll probably build a new rig in time for the release date! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sirrith
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Buybuybuy.

WTE_Galway
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Heck, if he quit flight sims and went off to design microwave ovens (like he once said) I'd probably buy one of those as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes ... but the Borsch and Solyanka will be overmodelled be sure ... and how will you ever get it to function properly with Bratwurst or Sauerkraut ?

TX-EcoDragon
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
"Yes, the day it is released"

I will also probably buy a few copies as gifts for folks that might not otherwise give a combat flight sim a look (pilots and non-combat flight simulator pilots). Flight sims need all the support they can get or we will be stuck with little more than FPS garbage on the store shelves. . .we pretty much already are.

arjisme
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I'll buy it immediately, even if my rig can't run it. I'll then upgrade my rig. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Feathered_IV
01-21-2009, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Heck, if he quit flight sims and went off to design microwave ovens (like he once said) I'd probably buy one of those as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes ... but the Borsch and Solyanka will be overmodelled be sure ... and how will you ever get it to function properly with Bratwurst or Sauerkraut ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worse than that, the timer would only have two settings: Two Weeks and Sometime later in the year (if things go well).

Darth_Reagan
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Only thing that will hold me back is my PC. It's getting long in the tooth now and I doubt it will run it. The moment I finally have to upgrade though I will buy it.

Mr_Zooly
01-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Of course

azamato2007
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
if my pc can handle it.. definatly

P4 3.0ghz
2GB Ram
9600gt

Halfen
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Already pre-ordered SoW from GoGamer on 3-Oct-08. I am planning on refitting my pc around a mid-range AMD cpu with a ATI 4850 vcard.
Hope that it will be enough

Covino
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Only if 1C delivers the final 4.09. Community members put hard work into that patch, and we were promised its release. I've been playing since the original IL-2 demo, when I was in grade school, but I can't support a company that would just leave us hanging like this.

In the mean-time, I have moved on to open-source projects like FlightGear where contributing is just as fun as flying and the community decides where to take the sim.

CRSutton
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I wil buy it. Provided I am still alive when it comes out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

louisu
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Yessssss i'll buy it for sure, because i'll need a new coaster aviation-related for my favourite mug http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

greypeace
02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I will gladly buy it the day it ships with no reservations whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question is : WHEN

jasonbirder
02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I'll probably need a new rig to play BOB-SOW which takes it from a chuck away money purchase to something needing a real investment...
And these days its harder and harder to justify that investment as I'm still getting so much game time and enjoyment out of games that run well on my current rig (Dangerous Waters, Silent Hunter 3, Falcon 4, F/A18, and various Total War Mods as well as obviously IL2 1946)
So i'll wait and see if SOW-BOB is a significant improvement over what we have before investing hundreds of ús...
Unforunately, nothing i've seen so far (admitedly its still early days) has really got me excited about SOW-BOB
At this stage it just looks like IL2 with really good graphics rather than a significantly different beast....

jamesblonde1979
02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I will certainly be purchasing a copy of SoW. It will be an essentail addition to my collection because of the advances from 1946.

At the moment I am hugely impressed by the gains being made in the, uh, unnofficial improvements to 1946 and a lot of this is really leading the way in terms of where combat flight sims are going in general. The emphasis is obviously on attention to detail and given the highly complicated nature of our hobby as sim enthusiasts it is a hard task for any one individual company to satisfy the expectations of it's consumers.

Therefore I would like to see the full resources of 1C behind SoW. 1946 is in the hands of the community now and what can be done with that engine will be enhanced by the simming public under an ethos agreed upon by the simming public.

This ought to not only provide the sim community with the improvements it desires but act as a guiding light to companies like 1C who can only benefit from having unparralleled indicators as to the demands of their market.

Choctaw111
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
The fact that we continue to post here shows that Oleg has a following, and for good reason. He has made a quality product.
There may be some who really are not into this combat flight simming anymore, but still visit these forums. A vast majority of us here will probably buy it without condition.

larschance
02-10-2009, 04:02 AM
I have hundreds if not thousands of missions still to play on 1946, leaving out the silly what if prototypes, so I will buy the SOW series eventually.
I hope it will be available to buy as a dvd in the shops either on the street or on a website, and that as others have said, the AI, gunners, etc have been sorted. The idea of a system that can be added to theatre by theatre, plane by plane, career by career, in a more detailed and organised way than Il2 appeals.

tagTaken2
02-10-2009, 04:35 AM
I'll buy it instantly, but depending on what's required it might spend a little time in a drawer while I play RoF to death.
For something I've been waiting for as long as SoW, I'd prefer to have a good experience and start playing it when I've upgraded.

danjama
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
i honestly believe SOW will be scrapped before it even hits the shelves. It's just taken too long for what reasons. I dont think there will be anything too revolutionary in the game. Look how much was added to il2 by the great community. I'm expected the same sort of thing here if it is released. Which again begs the question why did it take so long?

Anyway im not one to judge ill wait and see.

PB0_shadow
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Depends.
I'll either buy it or get it for free, depending on the publisher http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Chivas
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
i honestly believe SOW will be scrapped before it even hits the shelves. It's just taken too long for what reasons. I dont think there will be anything too revolutionary in the game. Look how much was added to il2 by the great community. I'm expected the same sort of thing here if it is released. Which again begs the question why did it take so long?

Anyway im not one to judge ill wait and see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it taking so long? Thats and easy question. They decided to work on Pacific Fighters, IL-2 1946 etc instead of BOB SOW. They'be only been working on BOB SOW full time for a few years.

Will BOB SOW be scrapped? Not likely as the developer has advised he could have released a version of BOB SOW already, but he still has the resources to continue making BOB SOW an even better product. Worse case scenario...he releases the sim as is for an injection of needed funding and finishes it with patches. If sales are poor and/or the game software easily stolen then you will be right and SOW will die.

jasonbirder
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
The key question has to be...in what significant way will SOW-BOB differ from IL2 1946 - and I don't mean improvements to the graphics engine...which at the end of the day is merely eye candy.

Chivas
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonbirder:
The key question has to be...in what significant way will SOW-BOB differ from IL2 1946 - and I don't mean improvements to the graphics engine...which at the end of the day is merely eye candy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything will be vastly improved. The most important factor is the DM, which will make the FM far more realistic. Now when your highly complex aircraft system takes a solid hit you will no longer be staying in the fight your only thought will be bailing out or running for home. This will make a huge difference in current game play.

The AI is by far the most difficult aspect to make major advances in. Even todays robots AI systems are hardly perfect. Lets hope there are significant advancements over todays sims.

I don't get the down playing of eyecandy. Eyecandy is a huge part of any sim. All we have is what we see and hear from our monitors and speakers. Obviously the more realistic it looks and sounds the more realistic it feels.

jasonbirder
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Other than your own cockpit...how much eye candy do you really see at 400mph and hundreds of metres range?
The graphics on SOW-BOB will only be appreciated by people who use externals and by movie makers...
Improved DM is important...but whats the point in mdelling, for example coolant leaks or oil leaks if we have the same "arcade" engine management we have now...
Improved AI is fantastic, but will it only be "dogfight" AI (so offliner can have furballs too...just like onliners) or will it be integrated with proper interacting communication, Air/Ground control, radar/observers etc etc...

Chivas
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonbirder:
Other than your own cockpit...how much eye candy do you really see at 400mph and hundreds of metres range?
The graphics on SOW-BOB will only be appreciated by people who use externals and by movie makers...
Improved DM is important...but whats the point in mdelling, for example coolant leaks or oil leaks if we have the same "arcade" engine management we have now...
Improved AI is fantastic, but will it only be "dogfight" AI (so offliner can have furballs too...just like onliners) or will it be integrated with proper interacting communication, Air/Ground control, radar/observers etc etc... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fly full cockpit and only glance at my cockpit periodically. I'm constantly scanning the sky and terrain for air and ground targets. Most people flying at 400mph and hundreds of meters can tell within a few seconds if it looks realistic or not.

I believe the developer mentioned that there will be somekind of "integrated with proper interacting communication, Air/Ground control, radar/observers etc." but not sure how well developed it will be.

BOB will see improved FM, DM, AI, Weather, Terrain, Ground Objects, and other features never seen in a combat flight sim. I can't remember reading about improved engine management but knowing the developers attention to detail it will be improved if he feels its warranted and has the time to implement it. I would like to see a slightly more complicated start up procedure that must be done right for the engine to start. This is a feature I really like in BOB WOV, but I know Oleg doesn't feel there is enough interest to take the time and effort to develop.

BOB will not be perfect, and people will be disappointed with certain aspects of the sim, but it will still be the next benchmark in combat flight sims. Off course he could just make a BOB map and keep the IL-2 FM, DM, AI, etc , but its highly unlikely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I_KG100_Prien
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
The graphics debate thing= YMMV. (Mileage may vary).

As long as the graphics are easily tweaked to please individual taste all is good.

I don't care if I can read the license plate of the truck I'm about to drop a 250kg'er on.... Doesn't mean others don't want to... But I'm not all and all are not me.

Though if the AI interaction isn't improved over IL2's I'll "Coaster" BoB:SOW in a heartbeat.

ElAurens
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots.

Improved graphics help improve situational awareness, and help deepen the suspension of disbelief (some call it immersion).

DO you play at 800 X 600 with all settings as low as they will go?

I thought not.

SeaFireLIV
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots.

Improved graphics help improve situational awareness, and help deepen the suspension of disbelief (some call it immersion).

DO you play at 800 X 600 with all settings as low as they will go?

I thought not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um. I only recently changed from 800X600... to 1024 X 768....

Personally, the game itself is more important than graphics. Sure, I won`t complain if the whole thing looks photoreal, but I am willing to sacrifice that for excellent, realistic AI, a good dynamic campaign, multiple aircraft options, realistic flying of the aircraft from take off to landing with possible failures, etc, etc...

I`m sure you are aware that too many people mix up incredible photoreal graphics with good game. Not at all so.

I remember once I saw a friend`s consloe flight game with an F16 that looked incredible, so realistic, but it flew like a ufo, fired 60 missiles and was rubbish.

I don`t want that.

WTE_Galway
02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

I remember once I saw a friend`s consloe flight game with an F16 that looked incredible, so realistic, but it flew like a ufo, fired 60 missiles and was rubbish.

I don`t want that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Spitfire in BoB is not going to fly like a UFO and fire 60 missiles ???? OK thats the final straw, I am not buying it.

SeaFireLIV
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

The Spitfire in BoB is not going to fly like a UFO and fire 60 missiles ???? OK thats the final straw, I am not buying it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha. Funny. I`m rolling on the floor in stitches. Please, stop me before I have a cardiac arrest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tagTaken2
02-11-2009, 12:12 AM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sticking with 1024*768 until my cold dead CRT is pried from my fingers.
Wonder how many left are running 640*480?

tagTaken2
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder how many left are running 640*480?

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-11-2009, 12:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tagTaken2:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder how many left are running 640*480? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...I dont know how you guys can still view games ugly at those low resolutions. Actually I have had IL2 since 2001 and never ran anything below 1280x960 and currently run 1680x1050. I guess you do not miss what you have not tried. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Please tell me you guys at least run some AA to clean it up a bit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S!

I_KG100_Prien
02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Cuz like uhm

L33t graphix dun make a game perhaps?

I'm so upset that I never ran SWOTL on 10023424x111234524 with 500000xQ AA.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
Cuz like uhm

L33t graphix dun make a game perhaps?

I'm so upset that I never ran SWOTL on 10023424x111234524 with 500000xQ AA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. But great graphics makes a great game better in my opinion. I was only wondering.

S!

I_KG100_Prien
02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
True enough.

I've always found games with great looks and horrid game play to be the biggest let downs. Makes you wonder how much they could have improved the overall experience had they put a little less time into some things, that often only equate to fluff.

WOLFMondo
02-11-2009, 02:22 AM
No question that I'll buy it the day it comes out.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-11-2009, 03:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
True enough.

I've always found games with great looks and horrid game play to be the biggest let downs. Makes you wonder how much they could have improved the overall experience had they put a little less time into some things, that often only equate to fluff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could not agree more.

S!

skarden
02-11-2009, 03:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

Wow...I dont know how you guys can still view games ugly at those low resolutions. Actually I have had IL2 since 2001 and never ran anything below 1280x960 and currently run 1680x1050. I guess you do not miss what you have not tried. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Please tell me you guys at least run some AA to clean it up a bit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I'v just switched to a wide screen with the same settings too and its a revelation!!

Really really looks fantastic and makes a marked improvment IMHO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

Oh yeah,um......SOW BOB is gunna rock hard,can't wait for the release n junk.(no really it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif)

SeaFireLIV
02-11-2009, 04:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tagTaken2:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder how many left are running 640*480? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Monitor keeps telling me I should be in 10000 million something, but I`m happy with smooth fast gameplay at 1024X768. This obsession with graphics I really don`t get. I`ve even tried the highest resolutions and, so what?

The graphics look fine lower down to me. Perhaps it`s because I still remember the days when games relied on gameplay over eye candy. Perhaps I`m scared of a drop in performance. In my opinion, graphics got good enough in 2005!

And I know about visual looks since I`m an artist, but I just don`t see the obsession with it games.

skarden
02-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Well I think its just that without visuals,computer games dont really provide as much enjoyment(remember those text based games!)so I think that a certain amount of fascination is to be expected.
I know there's more to the games then visuals,but to me it's the glue that holds all the other components(sound,gameplay ect.)together and provides the biggest leap in the immersion factor.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-11-2009, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The graphics look fine lower down to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you are use to it. I am not. What ever floats your boat.

S!

SeaFireLIV
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Because you are use to it. I am not. What ever floats your boat.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You asked.

thefruitbat
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
don't know about you, but i actually think it helps that i can read all the guages clearly in maxed out zoom.

Couldn't do it at low resoloutions, can in higher http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you can run at higer resolutions and don't your just making your own expeirence worse.
You do not gain a single thing from running at lower resolutions apart from fps.

still, some people still like horses as a mode of transport...

fruitbat

Chivas
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
don't know about you, but i actually think it helps that i can read all the guages clearly in maxed out zoom.

Couldn't do it at low resoloutions, can in higher http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you can run at higer resolutions and don't your just making your own expeirence worse.
You do not gain a single thing from running at lower resolutions apart from fps.

still, some people still like horses as a mode of transport...

fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can fly at 1920x1200 but fly at 1024x768 16xAA mainly because I see aircraft dots much sooner. I can also read the text at 1024x768. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spad_13
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
First day. Count on it!

jasonbirder
02-12-2009, 01:42 AM
The problem with graphical improvements are that it is not a zero sum game...

Taken in isolation better graphics are...obviously better but we do get to the point where its better graphics OR something else...not better graphics AND something else...

Time spent developing more and more spectacular graphics is time that isn't spent developing more realistic FMs, that isn't spent developing a more advanced campaign engine, that isn't spent developing a more advanced and non-generic engine/systems/fuel management system...

Even with the most advanced system there are issues with processing power...it becomes better graphics OR more aircraft in the air...better graphics OR realistic amounts of flak...better graphics OR realistic numbers of ground objects...better graphics OR a more detailed campaign engine...better graphics OR better AI...CPU/GPU power isn't infinate and even with the current IL2 1946 level of graphics the best computers can't handle realistically sized bomber formations with full amounts of fire from the gunners and realistic amounts of Flak so whats the situation likely to be with the level of graphics offered in SOW-BOB?

At the end of the day improvements in cockpits/ground textures/clouds to a certain level are likely to improve the look of the game...but alot of the detail that has been included is likely never to be noticed or appreciated in the game and only ever visible with external views and by skinners/movie makers...

I for one would like to think the effort that has obviously been invested in that side of things could have been invested in improving the simulation and gameplay aspects of SOW-BOB

Skoshi Tiger
02-12-2009, 02:19 AM
The problem with graphical improvements are that it is not a zero sum game...

Taken in isolation better graphics are...obviously better but we do get to the point where its better graphics OR something else...not better graphics AND something else...

Time spent developing more and more spectacular graphics is time that isn't spent developing more realistic FMs, that isn't spent developing a more advanced campaign engine, that isn't spent developing a more advanced and non-generic engine/systems/fuel management system...

Even with the most advanced system there are issues with processing power...it becomes better graphics OR more aircraft in the air...better graphics OR realistic amounts of flak...better graphics OR realistic numbers of ground objects...better graphics OR a more detailed campaign engine...better graphics OR better AI...CPU/GPU power isn't infinate and even with the current IL2 1946 level of graphics the best computers can't handle realistically sized bomber formations with full amounts of fire from the gunners and realistic amounts of Flak so whats the situation likely to be with the level of graphics offered in SOW-BOB?

At the end of the day improvements in cockpits/ground textures/clouds to a certain level are likely to improve the look of the game...but alot of the detail that has been included is likely never to be noticed or appreciated in the game and only ever visible with external views and by skinners/movie makers...

I for one would like to think the effort that has obviously been invested in that side of things could have been invested in improving the simulation and gameplay aspects of SOW-BOB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I tend to agree with most that you've said there are a few caviets. First off hard ware like graphics cards have improved.

Effects that were programmed using processor-intensive algorthyms in 2001 can now be off-loaded to the graphics cards and processesed in much more efficent manner (No, I don't have any specific examples, It would be nice for one of the developers to make a few comments!), So that real frame-rate-killing effects can be used with minimal impact.

It is my gut feeling is that one of the reasons for the delay in the development of BoB is that the design and programming of the new game engine has ment that the devlopers have had to learn a completly different way of programming to take advantage of the new hardware to make this game playable on even recent systems. The life of a developer is a constant merry-go-round of keeping up with changes in technology. It's just a fact of life in the IT industry.

If they programmed BoB the using the same way they did IL2 in 2001 it just would work any better than IL2.

Like I said its only a gut feeling I have.

96th_Nightshifter
02-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Will be buying 2 copies the first day it comes out; one for my Dad and one for me and will gladly pay full price for it.

I can't personally name another game that has even come remotely close to the amount of fun I have had with this one and for this many years.

It's a no brainer decision for me.

danjama
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 96th_Nightshifter:
Will be buying 2 copies the first day it comes out; one for my Dad and one for me and will gladly pay full price for it.

I can't personally name another game that has even come remotely close to the amount of fun I have had with this one and for this many years.

It's a no brainer decision for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true so in effect you're saying you will part with your cash at the very least as a thankyou to the maddox team? That's a good way looking at it. In fact, the only other game i have put anywhere near the amount of hours is Gran Turismo but even that doesnt compare to how much i played this.