PDA

View Full Version : Pilot viewpoint...

AJM-2K4
11-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Is there anyway to move your head around the cockpit? Something like the leaning functions used frequently in first person shooters. Since trackIR takes care of panning, I'd like to be able to use my spare HAT to move my head around for better visibility.

Nige_Reconman
11-13-2004, 02:12 AM
The ability to lean to peek around (even with canopy open) is not featured in game.

Tully__
11-13-2004, 03:58 AM
The only control in the game that gives any head movement is the "Shift-F1" gunsight toggle control. In some aircraft it's a lot of help for situational awareness (seeing around cockpit bars), but it's not much help in any aircraft for landing/taxiing/takeoff. In the Japanese dive bomber and one or two other aircraft it's useless unless you actually need to use the gun/bomb sight.

Hans_Philipp
11-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Ahhh...that 5-axis Track IR-How many years off can it be?

GT182
11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Hans, don't laugh. They could be working on that now or in the near future. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AJM-2K4
11-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe in a future version then. I think the ability to lean to the side of the canopy, instead of having to roll and yaw the A/C to see below, would be handy.

Tully__
11-13-2004, 09:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
The only control in the game that gives any head movement is the "Shift-F1" gunsight toggle control. In some aircraft it's a lot of help for situational awareness (seeing around cockpit bars), but it's not much help in any aircraft for landing/taxiing/takeoff. In the Japanese dive bomber and one or two other aircraft it's useless unless you actually need to use the gun/bomb sight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, I forget the very few planes that you're now able to raise the seat on. You must be in the "head back" position on the Shift-F1 toggle and have the canopy open and be in one of the planes that the control works on. F4U is one, I don't recall the others but it's in the Pacific Fighters readme file.

Tocca4
11-13-2004, 10:07 PM
At naturalpoints forum, they have a "feature request" subforum.
One guy there asked if it was possible to add support for two dots, so you could for example have one dot on a hat and one on top of your head.
This would make it possible for Track-IR to know if you lean or turn your head.

A developer answered: "We have a big surprise waiting for our TrackIR 3 users, check back in early December for the answer to your suggestion!"

Interesting!!

I've also read suggestions about adding support for a zoom function. By leaning towards or away from the Track-IR, you could get a zoomfunction. Either used as lean forward/backward, or zoom in/out.

I only have a Track-IR2 unit, but if any if theese is added for Track-IR3 i might consider upgrading...

heywooood
11-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I wonder how much all that 'head-leaning' and 'zooming' would affect frame rates?..

..still - if Track-ir could alow for zoom and headlean with playable rates, it would be an absolute must have.

Mjollnir111675
11-14-2004, 08:31 AM
I agree the ability to "crane" your neck would be great.Especially useful for bombers!Something I always wanted for B-172.Maybe hang your elbow out the window while chompin on a stoagie!!
Yes the track ir 3 pro looks intriguing and the coupon does help to sway ones mind and the fact that if it was developed in mind it has to work great.Maybe Sandy Claws will bring me one!!!

Mjollnir