PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Campaign or Dynamic Environment?

negus1
05-17-2004, 06:09 AM
I think there a two things which are being mixed in the recent discussion:

1) Dynamic Campaign

Under dynamic campaign I understand that you get missions randomly as long as you are surviving. you do not have to sink a certain tonnage (of course you could be sent to eastern front if not sinking anything after five missions or so). the most important thing is that you get always a different campaign when ever you start one. so if we take in consideration that most of type VII boats were taking part in convoy battles this should be reflected accordingly. if you perform well you may be assigned to special missions.

a dynamic campaign in this sense is very easy to make: you only need a random mission generator with few variables and few special missions and that's it.

at this point i think that the dev team should include at least an option of such dynamic campaign.

2) Dynamic Environment

much harder to do is a dynamic environment in the sense of a living war theater. this means to cover the whole reachable ocean with geographical and military data. furthermore you have to program shipping and convoy routes. you need war theater AI, e.g. a warship management (which destroyer/battleship covers which convoy, how many aircraft are on patrol mission etc). in a dynamic theater the program also has to keep in mind which ships and u-boats were sunk aleady and it has to react on this.

this is really a game engine problem and i think it is already to late to discuss these things.

so my request is that the dev team
a) at least gives us a dynamic campaign option (random mission generator + few special missions)
b)if solution a) is not possible please allows at least a mod which can give us a dynamic campaign

negus

"Negus 1 an alle kleinen Brüder, wir greifen an! Kameraden, dicht aufschließen zum Sturmangriff! Die Begleitgruppe aufpassen auf Indianer. Wir machen Pauke, Pauke; nur die Ruhe, Kameraden, alles mir nach!"
Maj. Dahl JG 300

negus1
05-17-2004, 06:09 AM
I think there a two things which are being mixed in the recent discussion:

1) Dynamic Campaign

Under dynamic campaign I understand that you get missions randomly as long as you are surviving. you do not have to sink a certain tonnage (of course you could be sent to eastern front if not sinking anything after five missions or so). the most important thing is that you get always a different campaign when ever you start one. so if we take in consideration that most of type VII boats were taking part in convoy battles this should be reflected accordingly. if you perform well you may be assigned to special missions.

a dynamic campaign in this sense is very easy to make: you only need a random mission generator with few variables and few special missions and that's it.

at this point i think that the dev team should include at least an option of such dynamic campaign.

2) Dynamic Environment

much harder to do is a dynamic environment in the sense of a living war theater. this means to cover the whole reachable ocean with geographical and military data. furthermore you have to program shipping and convoy routes. you need war theater AI, e.g. a warship management (which destroyer/battleship covers which convoy, how many aircraft are on patrol mission etc). in a dynamic theater the program also has to keep in mind which ships and u-boats were sunk aleady and it has to react on this.

this is really a game engine problem and i think it is already to late to discuss these things.

so my request is that the dev team
a) at least gives us a dynamic campaign option (random mission generator + few special missions)
b)if solution a) is not possible please allows at least a mod which can give us a dynamic campaign

negus

"Negus 1 an alle kleinen Brüder, wir greifen an! Kameraden, dicht aufschließen zum Sturmangriff! Die Begleitgruppe aufpassen auf Indianer. Wir machen Pauke, Pauke; nur die Ruhe, Kameraden, alles mir nach!"
Maj. Dahl JG 300

CDragon
05-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Yes, I agree there is a mixup with terminology. Well, at least with definitions.

Leif...
05-17-2004, 07:50 AM
My definition of a dynamic campaign is pretty much what you call dynamic environment. Some people however seem to merely mean random encounters, and whenever they ask for random encounters at the same time as they talk about a dynamic campaign it's sort of confusing. They should call it "random campaign" if that's what they want. I however want a deeper simulation (pun intended) and believe that such simple tricks are unworthy a simulator released 2004.

Leif...

Egan2.0
05-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah. The teminology gets confusing. What we want is a randomly dynamic career mode. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Actually, a dynamic mode sorta meens that the missions have an effect on the next mission, rather than randomly placed ships, aircraft and convoys.

It depends on what you think works best. My ideal campaign mode is this:

Transfers to different flotillas.

Transfers to different boats.

Promotion, medals or so on based on performance.

semi-random ships and aircrafts.(eg: some geographical areas such as the english channel or Gibralter have a higher possibility of thse events than the middle of the north atlantic.)

Convoy routes along which convoys MIGHT be found.

Functional wolfpacks.

Semi-random patrol areas. ( eg: off the American coast during drumbeat, percentage chance of being sent into the med etc.)tied to operational dates.

Sripted missions (yes, even I see a value in them. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) that you are given based on experience and ability. such as spy landings mine laying etc.

Of course, these are not the only features I would like to see but, as a basis, I think they would make a pretty solid campaign.

CDragon
05-17-2004, 08:08 AM
A dynamic environment certainly sound right. The game should respond in some rational way to events in-game, as opposed to just from mission to mission. For instance, if you're a Type IX sinking ships in the Caribbean, you might see a fall-off in merchant traffic, with a corresponding increase in air and surface patrols.