PDA

View Full Version : Features a Dynamic Campaign needs to be the greatest in any flight sim.

Zoring
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Hallo guys, i've been thinking of a few features that will make dynamic campaigns fun and immersive, i have played a lot of flight sims and would love a few things to make the player more involved in the campaign.

(im aware it is probably too late to make changes like this to the new game but it will make me feel better)

A lot of things from the old game European Air War i'd like to see incorporated, as well as some of the rpgish elements of "Achtung Spitfire"

Graphically:
-It should look like your briefings take place in an airfield, a hanger or a briefing room or similar.

-In these screens you should be able to see your aircraft or your airfield, to make you feel 'like your there'

Pilot Managment:
-Pilots should have individual names ranks and you should be able to see there faces in the cockpits.

-Pilots should gain experience, they get more experienced and get better, pilots start out green, they have to be cultivated and gain experience, going from green, blooded, experienced, veteren, experten so on.

-Pilots should have 'traits' in addition to experience to represent there natural abilities, for example they could be positive traits Marksmen, Aerobatic, Leaders, Good Wingman, Brave and negative traits Bad Shot, Nervous, Follower and so on.

-Flight leaders should be able to customize there flight graphically and squadron leaders customize there squadron, so you can add your own custom skins to your squadron if you want to represent them historically, or if you want all your pilots to have there own individual aircraft, this will help immersion as you will be able to recognize individual pilots from there aircraft.

-Kills should be displayed on all aircraft depending on the kills the pilots have

Mechanics:
-You have to assign your pilots to different flights and so on, putting your experienced pilots as flight leaders, rookies with your best and so on.

-Supply, there should be limited numbers of aircraft, bombs and fuel. Servicable aircraft and non-flyables, so you might have to cannabilize an old aircraft for parts or simliar.

-Losses being reflected in enemy numbers and composition, shoot down a lot of Dorniers in your sector and see less of them.

-All the squadron documents being available like thay are now, and in lots of detail, individual pilots being completly tracked and so on.

-Combination of history and dynamic campaigns, there should be mostly dynamic levels, but on some of the big 'famous' air battles 'Adler Tag' and so on we should have a static level inserted to be a big 'set piece'

Thats some of the ones i can think of right now, im sure you have more and i do too! There should be more to get you involved and immeresed, make it feel like your there, rather then the current briefing screen.

Zoring
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Hallo guys, i've been thinking of a few features that will make dynamic campaigns fun and immersive, i have played a lot of flight sims and would love a few things to make the player more involved in the campaign.

(im aware it is probably too late to make changes like this to the new game but it will make me feel better)

A lot of things from the old game European Air War i'd like to see incorporated, as well as some of the rpgish elements of "Achtung Spitfire"

Graphically:
-It should look like your briefings take place in an airfield, a hanger or a briefing room or similar.

-In these screens you should be able to see your aircraft or your airfield, to make you feel 'like your there'

Pilot Managment:
-Pilots should have individual names ranks and you should be able to see there faces in the cockpits.

-Pilots should gain experience, they get more experienced and get better, pilots start out green, they have to be cultivated and gain experience, going from green, blooded, experienced, veteren, experten so on.

-Pilots should have 'traits' in addition to experience to represent there natural abilities, for example they could be positive traits Marksmen, Aerobatic, Leaders, Good Wingman, Brave and negative traits Bad Shot, Nervous, Follower and so on.

-Flight leaders should be able to customize there flight graphically and squadron leaders customize there squadron, so you can add your own custom skins to your squadron if you want to represent them historically, or if you want all your pilots to have there own individual aircraft, this will help immersion as you will be able to recognize individual pilots from there aircraft.

-Kills should be displayed on all aircraft depending on the kills the pilots have

Mechanics:
-You have to assign your pilots to different flights and so on, putting your experienced pilots as flight leaders, rookies with your best and so on.

-Supply, there should be limited numbers of aircraft, bombs and fuel. Servicable aircraft and non-flyables, so you might have to cannabilize an old aircraft for parts or simliar.

-Losses being reflected in enemy numbers and composition, shoot down a lot of Dorniers in your sector and see less of them.

-All the squadron documents being available like thay are now, and in lots of detail, individual pilots being completly tracked and so on.

-Combination of history and dynamic campaigns, there should be mostly dynamic levels, but on some of the big 'famous' air battles 'Adler Tag' and so on we should have a static level inserted to be a big 'set piece'

Thats some of the ones i can think of right now, im sure you have more and i do too! There should be more to get you involved and immeresed, make it feel like your there, rather then the current briefing screen.

flyingloon
11-06-2007, 05:27 AM
all good ideas there, would add a great deal. perhaps better if you have a pilot dcg or a sector controller dcg, where you can choose to control all these elements or just leave it to be automatically generated.

LEXX_Luthor
11-06-2007, 07:20 AM
What is needed is a focus on simulating air warfare. You do this by generating large but intense map-wide meaningful missions for all AI aircraft that interact with the large battlefield below and that the player is only a small part of.

A "pilot" centered or focused "squadron management" game would leave all other AI squadrons hopelessly simplified and you would *see* this during gameplay.

What you would like is to avoid all the silly little gamey things like AI Joe Pilot in your personal player squadron gets pregnant so you have to select AI John Pilot to replace him. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Focus on the Air War.

FourShades
12-23-2007, 03:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You do this by generating large but intense map-wide meaningful missions for all AI aircraft that interact with the large battlefield below and that the player is only a small part of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. But you can't get *meaningful* without involving humans directly, and no single mission is meaningful unless surrounded by a large amount of context.

Cheers,
4Shades

LEXX_Luthor
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
I like the Traits and Skill Advancement of AI pilots...according to flying time and kills or close escapes...but this can't be restricted to player squadron only. Most every feature of this AI humoid simulation must be used by every combat unit on the map (except faces perhaps), so it can't be overly detailed. That's what I'm getting at. If you focus on the larger air warfare, you can simulate humans across the map. Don't make this player squadron only, so we don't get "The Sims" style gameplay. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That human context would be the larger "human" AI driven air warfare and surface warfare beyond the player's gameplay cockpit.

tools4foolsA
12-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Overall I like the Bob:WoV campaign.

I found their controls on the strategic map not very intuitive to use, but the general concept I found great.

Assign missons for the day, assign planes and their job.

The choose between flying as one particular pilot in a squadron and fly those missions from take off to landing, jump into the cockpit if action starts or jump into any cockpit in any action of the day or don't fly at all and just be the supreme commander.

Great idea, sadly cumbersome implemented (in my opinion).