PDA

View Full Version : Have AI planes shoot the parachute sometimes?

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Wouldn`t it be a delicious little surprise, Oleg if you had AI enemy planes sometimes have a go at shooting the enemy parachute. It could happen say 1/100 times...

Just a thought.

Endrju
01-26-2005, 05:11 AM
In contrast, AAA would not shoot at parachutists as they do always...

LEXX_Luthor
01-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Don't start Seafire. If they tried that, a "mistake" might be made, making all AI planes lose interest in The Dogfight and Swarm attack a lone enemy parachutist (you know, like at the end of a QMB session, the winning side Swarms the lone surviving enemy plane, but here there would be plenty of parachutist~friendly AI left to take down the suddenly anti~parachute AI planes). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For big bomber formations, I set No Parachute for more FPS Quality...and don't have to cycle through thousands of parachutes in external view when debugging the mission.

Although there was a cool story of Bf~110 that attacked a Polish parachute, and was really into shooting the chute but got Bounced by another P.11 and got shot down. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Yea, I heard about that. No big deal. It`s probably more work than needed at the moment anyway (making friend/enemy chutes etc).

I`m onto to my next suggestion soon... ( I must make a detailed list).

LEXX_Luthor
01-26-2005, 07:58 AM
AA already knows friendly and enemy parachuts.

Yes it would be an interesting Feature to explore, if we are given player set Options to set rate or chance of AI going after parachutes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Still the AI needs to know to ignore parachutes if enemy planes are still around, but then that Bf~110 didn't see that extra P.11, so....

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2005, 08:23 AM
oh yea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I guess it would be a good idea to have AAA shoot at parachutes much less (they did in reality on the Russian Front, just not to the mad extent they do in the sim) and have enemy AI fighters shoot at chutes instead.

Now I`m sure if Oleg did this, he would heavily prioritise AI aircraft targets.

1st priority: Other enemy planes.
2nd: Objectives.
3rd: Crashedlanded enemy aircraft.
4th: floating parachutes.

Of course 1 and 2 may be mixed depending on Mission goals and I would think a percentage `random` element could be added so that an AI enemy plane could actually have a go at a parachute even while other fighters are around. IT would certainly be a nice touch for the player-pilot to actually be in a dogfight and see ahead of him an enemy plane actually shoot his wingman in the chute!

I`m not a programmer so don`t know how much of this is feasible (though I wouldn`t think it impossible). You probably have a far better idea than me, Lexx, since you`re working on some kind of program for IL2?

tigertalon
01-27-2005, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Wouldn`t it be a delicious little surprise, Oleg if you had AI enemy planes sometimes have a go at shooting the enemy parachute. It could happen say 1/100 times...

Just a thought. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I would't put it like there is some certain probability, but rather like IRL:

In WW2 it was not so uncomon if enemy strafed parachutes, which were the crew bailing out over their teritory, as they might become the threat again. In Battle of Britain for instance, german fighters often attacked Brits, hanging under parachute, over GB territory. Contrary, Brits were ordered to attack german Do24 flying boats, that were picking up shot down German pilots, waiting in their rafts in the Channel. At the beginning of the battle, Germans had their rescue planes colored white with red crosses, but soon Brits started to assume, that Germans are using those aircraft also for recconaisance planes to track Allied convoys, so order to shoot those planes down were given.

So, if pilot bailed over friendly territory, there should be some probability of AI attacking him. But the devs should cancel this blazing of AAA against parachuters. Captured pilot was of a great value. I also heard of an example (from my grandmother) that here nearby in WW2 when we were occupied by the Germans, on one ocasion allied plane was shot down and pilot bailed. First German soldier, that captured him, shoot him. German officer immediately got this soldier executed for killing such a valuable POW.