PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and Dx10

VMF-214_Pappy
06-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Okay I just got my new rig. Its a dell xps 710 with 2 gig ram, 2.66mhz dual core, and 768mb 8800gtx card. I know Il2 does not support DX10 which i am having many issues with vista itself. My question is what issues are pilots having with Il2 1946 running vista, i just experimented and changed my Il2 to run in XP service pack 2 compatiblity mode and have to try that out later. I would like to hear how things are going for vista users and maybe some tweaks i can do to get Il2 and maybe other games and the OS itself run better, i have tried alot of tweaks online i have seen.

By the way Microsoft has mangage to put out the biggest POS OS ever. Dont get it tell its ready, wish i went with xp on this rig.

VMF-214_Pappy
06-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Okay I just got my new rig. Its a dell xps 710 with 2 gig ram, 2.66mhz dual core, and 768mb 8800gtx card. I know Il2 does not support DX10 which i am having many issues with vista itself. My question is what issues are pilots having with Il2 1946 running vista, i just experimented and changed my Il2 to run in XP service pack 2 compatiblity mode and have to try that out later. I would like to hear how things are going for vista users and maybe some tweaks i can do to get Il2 and maybe other games and the OS itself run better, i have tried alot of tweaks online i have seen.

By the way Microsoft has mangage to put out the biggest POS OS ever. Dont get it tell its ready, wish i went with xp on this rig.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-22-2007, 10:10 AM
There's nothing wrong with vista, it just takes some work. what problems are you having? Perhaps you should post in the community help forum. There are some issues with this game and vista but it is mostly driver related, thus not the fault of the OS.

VMF-214_Pappy
06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
nothing wrong with vista, wow first time i heard that, i see it all the time in all the forums everywhere, system lock ups freezes on reboot, driver and program incompatiblity more than i can count and i only had system 1 week.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
It's not the popular view, but when has the popular view ever been the enlightened one? I was around and in the scene when eveyone said the EXACT same things about xp, now everone says xp rocks, don't use vista, lol, history repeats.....

Korolov1986
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Cept XP got SP1 and SP2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

RickRuski
06-23-2007, 02:17 AM
I have "Vista" and I totally agree Urufu_Shinjiro in saying that there is nothing wrong with it, it just needs understanding on how it works with " Program Files". I just recently upgraded my system and the new one has "Vista Home Premium". Did I have any early problems with Il2 1946??? yes I did. Couldn't alter files in Conf.ini and other programs I tried to link with it would not work. The problem arises in " Program Files " folder. "Vista" is very security based and any software installed into "Program Files" has a "read only " lock and you can't alter any files or programs in that folder. How did I get around it??? well the answer came from my son who a lot of you will know as "Crazy Schmidt" developer of "Mission Mate". Dad he said Uninstall from "Program Files", make a new folder for "C" e.g.:- C\My Games\ and install into there. Hey Presto no more read only lock, and all my interacting programs ( put them into the same folder ) work 100%. All my games are now installed into C\My Games\ and I am smiling.

6600 Core 2 Duo
XFX 8600GT XXX ( factory O/C )
2Gig ram
320 sata H/D

In Open GL I am getting 75 fps with V/C on, 16 AA in perfect mode. If I turn off V/C, fps climbs to over 100 without any noticable difference in visual.
Hope this helps with some of your problems with "Vista".

Would I go back to XP??? certainly not.

VMF-214_Pappy
06-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I got xp right when it came out, never had as many issues as with vista, yes i think it has potential but i dont think its ready yet specially for gaming

VW-IceFire
06-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Vista at release was a bit of a problem but we're almost 6 months down the road and the drivers support is very good now except if you own a Creative sound card of some type or another (especially non-xFi). The popular thing is to bash Microsoft no matter what the product is like. That happened with WinXP...I had it when it first came out and it had problems...not even with games...with everything. There were many driver issues and the like. Everyone has forgotten that now so now Vista is the new **** OS.

We'll be able to be more objective over it in about 5 years when the next Windows comes out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Admittedly I'm not using Vista for gaming just yet but I am using it in a work capacity and I've built one gaming rig for a neighbor with it, I've done the logging into the office domain, running a variety of older and newer software, and putting together some production things through it, and home networking too (its really easy and it was setup in under 10 seconds). Its really quite pleasant.

Give it another 6 months and things will be peachy I think. IL-2 1946 seems to have just one big problem and thats the installer doesn't work properly. Using A.exe seems to fix that.

I'll have a more informed opinion when I make the full leap myself at home with a new machine at the end of the year but I wouldn't dismiss Vista out of hand just yet. XP is good...Vista has some nice new features...DX10 is hype for now but we'll see in the future.

Tachyon1000
06-23-2007, 03:48 PM
To the original poster,

I recently purchase a new computer with Vista and I am having very little trouble with Vista where 1946 is concerned. Saitek drivers are good, but their programming software has problems. I am not using aero, i.e. the transparency stuff. If you are having problems with 1946 with aero, I'd suggest turning it off. Further, I think Vista is loaded with both DX9 and DX10 so I am not sure why you would be having a problem with DX10 as 1946 should not be using it at all. BTW your system is a good deal better than mine, so not sure why you should be having any problems.

And I am not running in compatibility mode at all.