PDA

View Full Version : TRUE True Air Speed for Level Bombers!

ytareh
08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I just did a very quick test last night to compare the 'Wonder Woman View' Indicated Air Speed(toggle Ctrl F1 or Shift F1?) with that on the Speed bar and most importantly the one on the cockpit instrument panel speedometer as that is all available to many full real server level bombers.

Heres my small findings :

I flew over the ocean at a speedbar indicated 10m or less so presumably IAS and TAS almost identical.
I paused the game at EXACTLY 400kmh (descended from 1000m) on Wonder Woman View and checked other data .
Using Ultra Pack 2.01

WWV =Wonder Woman View
SB = Speed Bar
I = Instrument/Speedometer Speed
All KMH unless otherwise stated

Ju88A4 'Modded Cockpit '
WWV 400
SB 390
I 379 (WAY OUT!)

A20C Standard 4.09 Cockpit
WWV 400
SB 390
I 245mph =392

B24 'Modded Cockpit'
WWV 400
SB 390
I 245-248mph= 392-397 (speedometer too small to be really accurate )

He111 H16 'Modded Cockpit' (slower so tested at 350)(also 'off the speedo scale at 400)
WWV 350
SB 340
I 340

Now Ive read that the true air speed is THE most critical part of accurate level bombing so this is a big issue for folk who like this small niche of the game certainly if 'manual' level bombing is used.

The Speed Bar speed by the way is easy to work out .It changes 'UP' at the '5' value so 380 will be displayed from 375 to 384 (and 390 from 385 to 394 etc).This means that in all the planes tested the speed bar was at best reading 394 kmh for 400kmh...Now Id reckon that 6kmh error would still allow fairly accurate bombing but in the case of the Ju88 being out by 21 would almost certainly result in a miss unless using a big 'stick' of bombs.

I was motivated to test this as my bombs fell WAY short using the Ju88A4 with modded cockpit from 4km alt at 300IAS and 34degrees bomb sight angle .This was always a killer combo for me before in stock 4.09 Ju88A4

I hasten to add Im the greatest of admirers of the modding community and this is in no way intended to be disrespectful but maybe it might need to be examined a bit closer ?

I guess level bombing appeals to number crunchers but the Betty bomber is beyond me with its KNOTS speedo and metres altimeter !!!

ytareh
08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I just did a very quick test last night to compare the 'Wonder Woman View' Indicated Air Speed(toggle Ctrl F1 or Shift F1?) with that on the Speed bar and most importantly the one on the cockpit instrument panel speedometer as that is all available to many full real server level bombers.

Heres my small findings :

I flew over the ocean at a speedbar indicated 10m or less so presumably IAS and TAS almost identical.
I paused the game at EXACTLY 400kmh (descended from 1000m) on Wonder Woman View and checked other data .
Using Ultra Pack 2.01

WWV =Wonder Woman View
SB = Speed Bar
I = Instrument/Speedometer Speed
All KMH unless otherwise stated

Ju88A4 'Modded Cockpit '
WWV 400
SB 390
I 379 (WAY OUT!)

A20C Standard 4.09 Cockpit
WWV 400
SB 390
I 245mph =392

B24 'Modded Cockpit'
WWV 400
SB 390
I 245-248mph= 392-397 (speedometer too small to be really accurate )

He111 H16 'Modded Cockpit' (slower so tested at 350)(also 'off the speedo scale at 400)
WWV 350
SB 340
I 340

Now Ive read that the true air speed is THE most critical part of accurate level bombing so this is a big issue for folk who like this small niche of the game certainly if 'manual' level bombing is used.

The Speed Bar speed by the way is easy to work out .It changes 'UP' at the '5' value so 380 will be displayed from 375 to 384 (and 390 from 385 to 394 etc).This means that in all the planes tested the speed bar was at best reading 394 kmh for 400kmh...Now Id reckon that 6kmh error would still allow fairly accurate bombing but in the case of the Ju88 being out by 21 would almost certainly result in a miss unless using a big 'stick' of bombs.

I was motivated to test this as my bombs fell WAY short using the Ju88A4 with modded cockpit from 4km alt at 300IAS and 34degrees bomb sight angle .This was always a killer combo for me before in stock 4.09 Ju88A4

I hasten to add Im the greatest of admirers of the modding community and this is in no way intended to be disrespectful but maybe it might need to be examined a bit closer ?

I guess level bombing appeals to number crunchers but the Betty bomber is beyond me with its KNOTS speedo and metres altimeter !!!

FoolTrottel
08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hasten to add Im the greatest of admirers of the modding community and this is in no way intended to be disrespectful but maybe it might need to be examined a bit closer ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, it might, maybe!

But not on these forums.

You are getting too close to violating the rules on discussions on mods here.
So that's why I'm locking this thread.

Discuss it somewhere else please.