PDA

View Full Version : Can I be based at Narvik?

Foehammer-1
02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Apparently all Murmansk convoys are travelling past Narvik. So can a player be legally based there?

Foehammer-1
02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Apparently all Murmansk convoys are travelling past Narvik. So can a player be legally based there?

Praetorian_Elite
02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think so. Bergen is the closest you can get.

TheRealWulfmann
02-04-2006, 12:15 PM
U-Boats were not based at Narvik. The closest base was Trondheim.
The add on Seawolves Mediterranean has added bases at Salamis (23rd Flotilla) and Constanza, Black Sea (30Flotilla) and I asked if he could add Trondheim. But, adding the two bases meant he had to delete 2 bases in Europe as the number is hard coded in the game for total bases. I am still pushing for it as well as increased Murmansk traffic but it does not look good so Bergen will have to do.
At least Sewolves hads Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and operation Juno to the campaign

Wulfmann

Foehammer-1
02-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Allright, time to find a good book while my boat sails up there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Trydan
02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealWulfmann:
U-Boats were not based at Narvik. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you sure? What about 14.Flottille (http://uboat.net/flotillas/14flo.htm)?

I agree that having more Norwegian-based operations would be good. It is a pity that those bases and flotillas like 13.Flt and 14.Flt can't be added to the game.

paulhager
02-04-2006, 09:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Apparently all Murmansk convoys are travelling past Narvik. So can a player be legally based there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be based in Narvik but you can operate from there, as I did on several occasions. You sacrifice your ability to change your torpedo loadout or upgrade equipment but that's not a major sacrifice if you only use Narvik a couple of times per year.

Foehammer-1
02-05-2006, 07:30 PM
So how do you operate from there? Do you have to sail in the actual port and then press return to base? Wouldn't that cancel all of your renown and tonnage for a patrol?

TheRealWulfmann
02-05-2006, 09:07 PM
U-Boats in real life were not based at Narvik. They could use it as a forward refuel base but the facilities were at Trondheim.
According to Encyclopedia of U-Boats

Wulfmann

paulhager
02-06-2006, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
So how do you operate from there? Do you have to sail in the actual port and then press return to base? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you exit, you'll have the option to dock at the port - Narvik in this case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wouldn't that cancel all of your renown and tonnage for a patrol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. You will have access to the crew/awards screen and, although you won't have access to the other screens, your renown will remain.

Trydan
02-10-2006, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealWulfmann:
U-Boats in real life were not based at Narvik. They could use it as a forward refuel base but the facilities were at Trondheim.
According to Encyclopedia of U-Boats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay, thanks... but that means that uboat.net is misleading on the topic, as it claims that 8 boats were based from there (including, for example, U-299).