PDA

View Full Version : WHY IS IT SOOOO BLEEDIN IMPOSIBLE TO HOST A GAME IN THE UBI LOBBY?

VonShlagnoff
12-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Ever since I got broad band I have been unable to host, loads of people are the same, whats going on??

MEGILE
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
<span class="ev_code_RED">GOT ROUTER?</span>

VonShlagnoff
12-21-2004, 03:43 PM
never needed one with dial up, is it really nessecary? If it is why is it?

LW_Icarus
12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
As someone who now has gray hairs from trying to figure the hosting thing out, it cannot be done through a router. not any that I or any of the other people Ive tried unsuccessfully with to get a server going.

Now I have a standalone router and cable internet, and can host if just hooked directly to the modem. but no matter what I do to the router settings, gaming dmz, whatever I cannot host a game.

I sent repeated emails to Ubi support and they assured me it would be fixed before next patch. that was 3 patches and a beta ago lol.

HL on the otherhand works fine, which is why Ubi seems so dead.

SlickStick
12-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Von, I think Megile was asking if you were using a router.

I have two computers on a network using WinXP Internet Connection Sharing, but if I want to host on UBI, I have to disconnect the second computer. In my case it has to do with WinXP not performing port forwarding with the two PCs hooked up.

If you only have one PC, with one cable modem, check to see if you have more than one Ethernet card setup in your Network Connections under Control Panel.

The other issue may be Windows firewall related or if you use another type of software firewall. You need to ensure that the firewall allows access to your PC and that it is setup to allow your PC to act like a server.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Use hyperlobby http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

VonShlagnoff
12-22-2004, 04:58 AM
I do use H/L but I prefer the ubi lobby as quite a few people on H/L take it too seriously IMHO

MaxMhz
12-22-2004, 05:08 AM
If you do have a router - you can't host on UBI.

Otherwise
Check that window's firewall is off.
Check that any other firewall you have running lets port 21000 through.
Run Setup in the main game folder and check that the stupid thing did NOT set IP to "default" - it must be a number...

If you DO have a router - UBI **** gameservice exchanges the internal and external IP's so clients trying to connect to your game will connect to your router and not to the computer you run the game on. See it as someone calling by phone and exchanging the area code and the phone number http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG5_UnKle
12-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Sorry guys I can host on Ubi and I have a router so that's not it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I run a firewall too.

The ports you need to open for Ubi are as follows:
40102 (UDP/TCP)
10308 (UDP/TCP)
21000 (UDP/TCP)

Should work for hyperlobby too. In your router you just need to Forward those ports and you are fine - good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

MaxMhz
12-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Do you have 1 computer connected to the router or multiple?

BM357_TinMan
12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Regardless of what people say, hosting behind a router on UBI is IMPOSSIBLE. It may be possible with a switch, this I don't know, but a router does NOT work unless there is some reg key or config setting that those that say that they can host behind a router are not telling us. Out of curiousity, if you CAN get it to work behind a router, which router are you using, are you using DCHP or do you manually set up the ip for your individual computers on your network, are you using a workgroup or domain?

This is why I use hyperlobby, and I think it is a shame that UBI will NOT fix this KNOWN issue.

Oh, and forwarding ports is NOT NOT NOT the problem, the problem is, UBI is broadcasting the internal IP to the client computers instead of the external IP, and it matters NOT what you tell it to do in the UBI settings. This has been an issue since one of the early patches.

-edit: this problem may have been fixed in one of the last three patches as I have not tried it since then