PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for region locking the DLC on PS3

katz_bg
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Now I can't have any. I have the European BLES 00670 version and my country doesn't have a PSN store. I can't buy it from the UK store, because it doesn't accept debit cards from other countries. I tried the US store and the game doesn't recognize it, even though it's installed.

Thank you for NOT discriminating too much.

katz_bg
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Now I can't have any. I have the European BLES 00670 version and my country doesn't have a PSN store. I can't buy it from the UK store, because it doesn't accept debit cards from other countries. I tried the US store and the game doesn't recognize it, even though it's installed.

Thank you for NOT discriminating too much.

KZarr
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by katz_bg:
my country doesn't have a PSN store. I can't buy it from the UK store, because it doesn't accept debit cards from other countries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't see how any of these are Ubi's fault http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

caswallawn_2k7
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
yep your problem is with Sony and not Ubi, it is common knowledge that DLC is region locked and the fact American and European software is totally different, you cant even use American saves on a European game so why did you think getting a DLC would be a good idea?

the problem here is Sony don't have a store in your country and you were seemingly willing to waste money despite it being well known EU and US software is totally different and have zero compatibility with each other.

also the copies of the game bought in areas such as Poland (has no PSN support) has a totally different version of the game again to avoid problems with the Uplay by giving them all award from the start.

also the UK version is BLES00669 so they are even more localised http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

MrMesut
02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
yep your problem is with Sony and not Ubi, it is common knowledge that DLC is region locked and the fact American and European software is totally different, you cant even use American saves on a European game so why did you think getting a DLC would be a good idea?

the problem here is Sony don't have a store in your country and you were seemingly willing to waste money despite it being well known EU and US software is totally different and have zero compatibility with each other.

also the copies of the game bought in areas such as Poland (has no PSN support) has a totally different version of the game again to avoid problems with the Uplay by giving them all award from the start.

also the UK version is BLES00669 so they are even more localised http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one of the biggest BS I have heard in a long time. Off course it is Ubisofts fault as many other game vendors dont regioncode their DLCs.

In case you didnt know yet, there are hundreds of billion dollar worth of computer game sales in a year worldwide and this happens more and more through the internet. So it is very common that people have games from different regions.

And how can the EU and US software be completely different why I can play American games on an European PS3 and can play European games on an US PS3?

The PS3 is not region coded so it is totally ridiculous that the DLC IS region coded.

caswallawn_2k7
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The PS3 is not region coded so it is totally ridiculous that the DLC IS region coded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the PS3 isn't region coded to an extent but the software is designed and created for specific regions leading to changes the in the software giving it different tag numbers (BLES numbers, the have a different pre fix for different regions) and the PS3 (like all other consoles since the PS1) have relied on this tag to link the database and make sure the right save/DLC is linked to the right version of the game to avoid conflicts.

every single PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, GC, Wii, DS, Xbox and 360 game does the exact same thing using the same and similar systems. they don't just put the tag codes on games for no reason, they are to link saves and software to the correct disc.

IMPREZAWRXSTI04
02-06-2010, 07:23 AM
This is a ridiculous statement. Region coding is there so that the publishing companies can charge to poor shlobs differently. DLC for ACII costs 3.99USD in US store, 3.99GBP in UK store and 3.99EUR in Greek store. However 1GBP=1.57USD and 1EUR=1.37USD. But we ignorant consumers thinh it is "teh fairest" for us right. "Power to the publishers, awright!!!"
Why do you think that I should pay full money to a game that came unfinished (i.e. missing 2 memory slots) and pay extra online to make it complete. Did our brothers and sisters paid 52 bucks to buy ACII instead of 60 bucks? How can they rationalize paying extra 8 dollars for a game that they already paid for?
And how come I can physically buy a BD game from US to play on my Euro spec PS3, but my DLC is region coded? OH... I SEE... TO PROTECT ME SO I DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY PLAY IT ON THE WRONG DISC... DOH!
Then how come this was not a problem on PC for so long? And who cares for different contend? Anything different content wise than the "TAG"?
Please grow up. Unless you the consumer do not step up, they will continue to discriminate.

caswallawn_2k7
02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
PC software is very very different to console software (even the PS3 still sticks to NTSC and PAL standards so people with standard def TV's can play) but all PC monitors are the same, once there are no standard def TV's left then you can say there is no difference as the high def screens are like PC monitors (also if you have ever player American imports on a PS1, PS2 or PS3 using a standard def connection the picture is black and white and distorted unless you use a scart lead and in America large portions of the screen are cut off as the PAL screens have more horizontal lines)

then on PC games the vast majority world wide will contain all languages and it can be compressed and decompressed when it is installed (the reason a DVD on a PC can take up to double the DVD to install) due to these size restriction most American/Canadian software (and movies) will stick to just English, French and Spanish, where the Euro versions include Italian, German and numerous other languages (can be up to 14 on a EU disc)

so these DLC's are set up for the local graphics system and local languages so they would have massive problems if they tried to run under the wrong game and didn't have all the languages or the correct video format.

were on PC expansion packs for games still have to come from the same region as the original game, a hell of a lot of UK/EU PC games will not accept a US expansion pack, due to the programming differences.

this is why all firms have stores for local areas, all developers and console/PC digital distribution services as they need to keep people in the correct versions.

as for your argument of price, when the euro came out it was about 1.5 to 1 so a game in the UK was 40 and a game in Europe was 60 now the currencies have changed so the and is worth about the same while this was happening did your pay from your job drop? the answer would be no so your paying no more than you ever paid for it.

just European people take way too long to realise this point as for years people in the UK have had to get games/movies from Europe and America to get them cheaper, so all that has changed here is the Euro gave Europe a strong currency so now they have the exact problem the UK has always had.

the pay scales in the local countries do make the difference tho as your pay at work doesn't go down when your currency gets stronger so you are not paying any more than you ever did just with a stronger currency you can import cheaper. the majority of Europe has had crap currency for ever until the Euro got a chance to get stronger and come close to the , this is why people use to do beer and *** runs over to mainland Europe as you could save a hell of a lot that way. all that has happened is now it's cheaper to buy in the UK for a bit, but chances are if all this money crap gets sorted out the currencies will level back out unless the government is stupid enough to put the UK in the Euro.

IMPREZAWRXSTI04
02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I had to read few times over to understand your statement, still doesn't make any sense. So I will try to answer from what I understand;
1- We are buying our games on BD, which has more information capacity than any other means any PC games ever published. PC games always contain all the info needed (language packs etc).
2- I do own 2 PS2s; 1 NTSC and other PAL. However PS3 is region free due to the nature of HD television sets. I purchase my games by whatever means. It is my discretion, so US, UK, or Japan only I decide. The world is global, so should you be. But if publishers decide to lock codes then the gloves are off. I purchase games from all over the world and they all are same except the region. My PS3 lets me to play it, but my publisher does not let me install DLC from any other region.
3- What is the language difference between UK and US? Did you mean that it is dubbed differently or the PS3s sold over there uses a different s/w code?
4- Regardless the product, everyone in computer business uses the above mentioned system to dupe economically absent minded people into thinking they are paying the same. Of course a currency has a buying power different than others. But this applies to it in coherence with the currency that the product is produced. Now, in any case you can not put prices on your product with set values, as there are other variables in that selling prices as transportation costs, customs duties, transportation insurance, etc. However, selling a software online has a fix cost, which are the servers that the product is located on. You do not pay duties to any government or need to insure the upload. Lets say company X produces a s/w in US and sell it in UK. Since the purchasing power of GBP is higher, the product will be cheaper than any other produced locally in UK. But you still pay 6.26USD while your cousin in US can purchase it for 3.99
5- Get over the difference between PC and console. Only difference is the machine code itself. Otherwise, how can anybody port from one to other?
Oh one more thing... In my country, a PS3 game is sold for 120USD or 85EUR. So that means my currency beats the hell out of both combined http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
For decades the S/W companies cried over how they are screwed over and so on. So I guess you are OK with this payback

katz_bg
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IMPREZAWRXSTI04:
DLC for ACII costs 3.99USD in US store, 3.99GBP in UK store and 3.99EUR in Greek store. However 1GBP=1.57USD and 1EUR=1.37USD. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually it's 3.19GBP in the UK store. And that includes VAT, while in the US store it's $3.99 not including the vat, which is added when you hit purchase. That's kind of a deception there, but I guess it's american tradition as I heard their supposed $60 per game advertised also don't include tax. I don't know how many percent it is there, but it seems to be less than the 20% in my country.

IMPREZAWRXSTI04
02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
It is 6% in Pennsylvania, however if you're buying online and the seller is in another state, tax is 0%. Also I paid only 3.99 for the DLC. Guess no tax huh?
But of course this technical deviation from the topic. If you could buy from the US store, you would not need to pay the 20% tax as another country cannot tax you.

SirGalaaz
02-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I bought AC2 region 3 and i cant buy the dlc too. It wasnt released in Hong Kong PSN (the one i usually buy the dlcs for my region 3 games) and ubisoft doenst answer me when they will release this dlc on hk psn.