PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Ru1986
07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Sorry if this is mentioned on another thread but i couldn't find it using the find button anyway.

It would be nice to have some questions answered re the weather in AC2.

My questions are: Why is the Weather always worse in Romagna than anywere else in the game?

Same with Tuscany always brilliant sunshine? It never rains anywere and Venice in the Winter can be horrible but no signs of that over the 3-4 years Ezio spends there?

In Florence the weather turns during the Bonfire of the Vanities to grey and dull. I have noticed this in a few games. When something "bad" is happpening the weather changes. However just because Savanorola was leader of Florence and a tyrant the weather diddnt change and stay that way for a few years then change back to nice once the mad monk had passed away and the Medici returned?

It would be nice to have some seasonal weather changes in AC:B. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ru1986
07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Sorry if this is mentioned on another thread but i couldn't find it using the find button anyway.

It would be nice to have some questions answered re the weather in AC2.

My questions are: Why is the Weather always worse in Romagna than anywere else in the game?

Same with Tuscany always brilliant sunshine? It never rains anywere and Venice in the Winter can be horrible but no signs of that over the 3-4 years Ezio spends there?

In Florence the weather turns during the Bonfire of the Vanities to grey and dull. I have noticed this in a few games. When something "bad" is happpening the weather changes. However just because Savanorola was leader of Florence and a tyrant the weather diddnt change and stay that way for a few years then change back to nice once the mad monk had passed away and the Medici returned?

It would be nice to have some seasonal weather changes in AC:B. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DavisP92
07-15-2010, 09:35 AM
well i doubt they will have it in AC:BH. but maybe in AC3 they can have it. It would be really cool if u can have the white assassin robe when it's snowing. so u have enviormental stealth social stealth.

AmazonAlani
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Indeed. I actually thought for a bit the outfits were to help blend in an area for a bit. You know, the "wetlands" colors for Forli and such to help blend in. Drab colors and all.

- - -

DJBare
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I want to see rain, storms, thunder and lightening, what I find confusing is an old engine used by Stalker clearsky did a good job without much performance impact, yet I know performance impact is the reason they are left out of these particular games.

Fairus60
07-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I bet that rain and sunset at the same time would create the perfect drama for a final battle in AC

bearsbball11
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
It would be kinda cool if it rained sometimes during the game, making things wet, slippery and harder to free-run on. Add a little challenge to the game/make it more realistic. Come to think of it, you really shouldn't be able to spend ALL that time playing and not experience a single rain shower lol

Fairus60
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Well slipping would be a nice detail in the beggining, but later on it woul certainly **** off. Now if we talk about just an aesthethic effect, Im fine with it.

EzioAssassin51
07-16-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Romagna was like like because of the climate/weather of that area. It's a Wetland type area in the game i believe!

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJBare:
I want to see rain, storms, thunder and lightening, what I find confusing is an old engine used by Stalker clearsky did a good job without much performance impact, yet I know performance impact is the reason they are left out of these particular games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in GTA 4 (i know its a poor game in comparrison to AC2) but the weather was good in it when it rain it poored like it does in NYC and when the sun shone cetral park was full of peopel out and about enjoying themselves.

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Farius60 i agree would make a wicked atmos for the end of the game.

bearsbball i know right about ten or twenty years without rain i think not i agree with the slipping element too would be good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

EzioAssassin51 yes the climate is a wetter one in Romagna to Tuscany but its still Italy therefore not that glaringly different it would still be sunny sometimes. But your not wrong mate maybe thats what they were trying to portray.

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
I'm pretty sure Romagna was like like because of the climate/weather of that area. It's a Wetland type area in the game i believe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, I think the climate of each particular city was designed to fit in geographically but also to help set the feel and mood of each location. Romagna is full of greys and heavy looking stonework. The climate fits it perfectly...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4614520019_2b70f32016.jpg

I feel like there would be certain limitations to the weather in AC if you were planning on implementing it in extremes. The Devs would have to take lots of things into account when dealing with the social sides of gameplay to make it realistic. Crowds in the street would have to react in particular ways during different weather types. There would be less venders on the streets during bad weather. Windows would have the shutters pulled over, hay bails would be covered up or moved away etc etc

I could go on for ages about all the different things they'd have to address in order to make it realistic but I can't be bothered!

It would certainly require a lot of thinking and work hours to perfect...

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Yea i see what your saying Robson a very valid point. As on GTA 4 (sorry i keep comparing it to that i know its leagues ahead) when it rained people carried on as normal which was odd.

So why in the bonfire of the Vanities is Florence clouded over for that time period (6 years i think) just because Savanorola is leader of Florence rather tyhan Il Magnifico. As i said above a few games have similar silly things. When something bad is happening the weather goes bad. But i can guarentee that for the years of 1492 - 1498 (as Christopher Hibbert writes in his History of florence biography of a city) its was not overcast the entire time. I understnad they want it to feel gloomy as twas a gloomy time but its not very realistic.

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:
Yea i see what your saying Robson a very valid point. As on GTA 4 (sorry i keep comparing it to that i know its leagues ahead) when it rained people carried on as normal which was odd.

So why in the bonfire of the Vanities is Florence clouded over for that time period (6 years i think) just because Savanorola is leader of Florence rather tyhan Il Magnifico. As i said above a few games have similar silly things. When something bad is happening the weather goes bad. But i can guarentee that for the years of 1492 - 1498 (as Christopher Hibbert writes in his History of florence biography of a city) its was not overcast the entire time. I understnad they want it to feel gloomy as twas a gloomy time but its not very realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised as to how much those silly things subconsciously help set the mood.

Also, there may be a chance that because of the Apples power it could effect the climate when being used for evil. That has been used in many films, Harry Potter for one... yes I know. I could have picked many others to reference lol

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:

So why in the bonfire of the Vanities is Florence clouded over for that time period (6 years i think) just because Savanorola is leader of Florence rather tyhan Il Magnifico. As i said above a few games have similar silly things. When something bad is happening the weather goes bad. But i can guarentee that for the years of 1492 - 1498 (as Christopher Hibbert writes in his History of florence biography of a city) its was not overcast the entire time. I understnad they want it to feel gloomy as twas a gloomy time but its not very realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised as to how much those silly things subconsciously help set the mood.

Also, there may be a chance that because of the Apples power it could effect the climate when being used for evil. That has been used in many films, Harry Potter for one... yes I know. I could have picked many others to reference lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As i said i understand that they set the mood with the poor wather its just not very realistic just because something bad happens it doesn't mean the weather is bad too.

I dont buy that apple controlling the weather whos to say the templars are the bad guys anyway in this war, in my view there are no good or bad guys. They are Templars and Assassins. Savanorola was not a Templar was he just happened across the Apple by accident right? So its all about opinnions. I look at this war with a very open mind the Templars are portrayed as the bad guys but who says they are? An american sounding Arab from 1190 have a day off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Just thing about it the Templars idea is a good one they just go about it the wrong way but whos to say they are??

Think about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM

As i said i understand that they set the mood with the poor wather its just not very realistic just because something bad happens it doesn't mean the weather is bad too.

I dont buy that apple controlling the weather whos to say the templars are the bad guys anyway in this war, in my view there are no good or bad guys. They are Templars and Assassins. Savanorola was not a Templar was he just happened across the Apple by accident right? So its all about opinnions. I look at this war with a very open mind the Templars are portrayed as the bad guys but who says they are? An american sounding Arab from 1190 have a day off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Just thing about it the Templars idea is a good one they just go about it the wrong way but whos to say they are??

Think about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not meant to be realistic, it's food for your brain. Your brain works on so many levels and most of them you aren't aware of. Something as subtle as that can add tension, make the mood of the story seem dark. Have you seen the speed at which the clouds fly by at certain times aswell, that has a similar effect. Not there for realism.

I never said anything about the Templars or Assassins just that the Apple was being used for Evil which it was at that point in the storyline.

Anyway, I was only joking with the whole Harry Potter, Apple controlling the weather analysis lol

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:

Think about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not meant to be realistic, it's food for your brain. Your brain works on so many levels and most of them you aren't aware of. Something as subtle as that can add tension, make the mood of the story seem dark. Have you seen the speed at which the clouds fly by at certain times aswell, that has a similar effect. Not there for realism.

I never said anything about the Templars or Assassins just that the Apple was being used for Evil which it was at that point in the storyline.

Anyway, I was only joking with the whole Harry Potter, Apple controlling the weather analysis lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea fair enough mate i see what your saying re the weather but i am a bit of a realist when things get unrealistic i stop showing interest. i.e. I cant play Halo games theyr'e just patheticly sad im not killing aliens thats about as real as well its just not. In actual fact i dont like the end much as the realism goes out of the window with apples/staffs and that. So im sorry about that but i just like my games to be real otherwise i loose interest another i.e. I cant watch Lord of the rings films its all just too much for me. Goblins taking over the world and fighting dear me.

game wise i pretty much only play AC games and Fifa otherwise im not that fussed unless they are something special.

No true you diddnt mention it i was just trying to say who says what Savanorola did was bad who are we to judge. Its only through reading Machiavelli books and Florentine history books for my studys that i have discovered that pretty much no one liked Savvy as we call him as what he did was horrible. What i was trying to get at is who says hes a bad guy and who says the templars are the bad guys what is the assassins have been bad all along selfish gains and all that. Sorry if i diddnt explain that properly.

LOL Robbo (hope you dont mind me calling you that if so just say wont happen again) i do love outr disscussions though.

SupremeCaptain
07-16-2010, 10:51 AM

When it rained on GTA IV, the people did react. They would put their newspapers over their head and run to shelter, and the people would shake themselves to get the wet out of their clothes.

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Yea fair enough mate i see what your saying re the weather but i am a bit of a realist when things get unrealistic i stop showing interest.

LOL Robbo (hope you dont mind me calling you that if so just say wont happen again) i do love outr disscussions though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been called Robbo for most of my adult life so no, I have absolutely no problems with you calling me that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm sure you know there are so many aspects of AC that are unrealistic but you overlook them because the game in its concept is unique and incredibly designed. Leaping a hundred feet into hay bails, falling the same distance and grabbing onto a ledge. Throwing knives with an accuracy that William Poole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Poole) would be envious of. The list is virtually endless...

You obviously like to dabble in history seeing as you comment so positively on the subject so I can understand why you would choose to ignore all those irregularities :P

I don't enjoy that style of game much either and would love for games to be as real as they could possibly be but in the gaming world you have to sacrifice realism for playability. bit of a shame really, technology is starting to catch up though.

I could watch the Euphoria Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUzuNX8SVc) all day to be honest lol

(can I get away with posting that one here?)

SchwiftyCrooze
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Dude that Euphoria demo was awesome, do you know if it will be incorporated into games soon? like maybe we might see it at the next E3? Cause that would be AMAZING.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif for finding that vid!

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nickster21:
Dude that Euphoria demo was awesome, do you know if it will be incorporated into games soon? like maybe we might see it at the next E3? Cause that would be AMAZING.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif for finding that vid! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's already being used in games like GTA IV for example.

On another note, it seems Ubisoft Montreal have licensed the morpheme (http://naturalmotion.com/morpheme.htm) animation engine which is made by the same company as Euphoria.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally from Naturalmotions.com (http://naturalmotion.com/index.htm):

Ubisoft Montreal Licenses NaturalMotion's morpheme

SAN FRANCISCO and OXFORD – March 9th, 2010 - NaturalMotion, the animation technology company behind the euphoria engine, today announced that Ubisoft Montréal has licensed the company’s morpheme animation middleware for an undisclosed upcoming AAA title.

The deal is part of a long-term licensing agreement between Ubisoft and NaturalMotion, which has been signed at the same time.

“Ubisoft’s animation quality standards are famously high,” said Torsten Reil, CEO, NaturalMotion. “We are extremely proud that the Montréal studio has chosen morpheme as the foundation for further pushing the boundaries of believable characters. We look forward to supporting this and future Ubisoft titles through a long-term partnership.”

“Ubisoft Montréal conducted an in-depth evaluation of morpheme, both from a tools and from a runtime perspective,” said Charles Jacob, Lead Programmer at Ubisoft Montréal. “We were very pleased with the technology as well as with NaturalMotion’s support, and are looking forward to working together.”

NaturalMotion’s morpheme is robust animation middleware designed to give developers and animators unprecedented creative control over the look of their final in-game animation by allowing users to author and preview blends, blend trees and transition graphs in real time. Available for PlayStation®3 system, Xbox 360®, Wii™, PC and Apple® iPhone, morpheme has experienced a rapid adoption rate, being licensed by some of the biggest names in the games industry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

definately good news for future titles!!