PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth of Honor Pay-for Campaign review( short)

jamesdietz
09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
On the strength of a free sample short campaign from this designer offeed here in July.I ordered the complete campaign expansion...the sample was that good.I freely admit that I keep trying to make FB/PF as full & complete as possible & this was another addition to that end,but he did another PF addition I didn;\'t ordercalled Wings over Waves,not because it din't look & work well in the free download sample,but because it is so full of action that my present set-up really can't run it well enoughto make it worth while...
So I paypaled my money to PlusWave( from Germany by the way) & waiteda bit,and eventually came a very slick looking package with cd disk & a brochure in German about the game( actually I learned all I needed to know from the PlusWave Website( http://www.pluswave.de/index.html) With the help of complete & clear downloadable instructions the install was straightforward& relatively simple (Ok I had to do it twice - I didn't read the instructions all the way thru...)
The campaign promises & delivers ,I think, a much more immersive enviroment to play out a 4 year campaign for a German pilot on the Western front.It does this by adding much in the way of surroundings to you airfield & many variations to the missions you are asked to fly.It says it has 350 missions(!!!)800 skins ( for German a/c & the Russian opposition) 150 pilot skins( yes more than you'll ever need!) & a big plus are 60 in game videos for every stage of your career..This guy has really given you your money's worth(about 20 Euros)!
Honestly one extra I really enjoy as an artist is that this guy has missions planned at some of the most colorful times of the day ,near sunrise & sunset & dusk,when the atmospherics of FB/PF shine...literally.This concern rally adds to the beauty of the sim experience...how many out there have flown the in-game Pacific campaigns that seem to be the same time of day & the same sort of mission over & over again?Those of you who have know what I'm talking about.
So I recommend it & will try to play it all the way thru...if I live long enough...By the way Plus Wave is developing one more of these to add to the line:Wings over Jungles ,due out on October...I'll definately order it too.
Maybe with new Ju-888 out soon we can expect campaigns for the medium bomber we will have on this same level?We'll see... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jamesdietz
09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
On the strength of a free sample short campaign from this designer offeed here in July.I ordered the complete campaign expansion...the sample was that good.I freely admit that I keep trying to make FB/PF as full & complete as possible & this was another addition to that end,but he did another PF addition I didn;\'t ordercalled Wings over Waves,not because it din't look & work well in the free download sample,but because it is so full of action that my present set-up really can't run it well enoughto make it worth while...
So I paypaled my money to PlusWave( from Germany by the way) & waiteda bit,and eventually came a very slick looking package with cd disk & a brochure in German about the game( actually I learned all I needed to know from the PlusWave Website( http://www.pluswave.de/index.html) With the help of complete & clear downloadable instructions the install was straightforward& relatively simple (Ok I had to do it twice - I didn't read the instructions all the way thru...)
The campaign promises & delivers ,I think, a much more immersive enviroment to play out a 4 year campaign for a German pilot on the Western front.It does this by adding much in the way of surroundings to you airfield & many variations to the missions you are asked to fly.It says it has 350 missions(!!!)800 skins ( for German a/c & the Russian opposition) 150 pilot skins( yes more than you'll ever need!) & a big plus are 60 in game videos for every stage of your career..This guy has really given you your money's worth(about 20 Euros)!
Honestly one extra I really enjoy as an artist is that this guy has missions planned at some of the most colorful times of the day ,near sunrise & sunset & dusk,when the atmospherics of FB/PF shine...literally.This concern rally adds to the beauty of the sim experience...how many out there have flown the in-game Pacific campaigns that seem to be the same time of day & the same sort of mission over & over again?Those of you who have know what I'm talking about.
So I recommend it & will try to play it all the way thru...if I live long enough...By the way Plus Wave is developing one more of these to add to the line:Wings over Jungles ,due out on October...I'll definately order it too.
Maybe with new Ju-888 out soon we can expect campaigns for the medium bomber we will have on this same level?We'll see... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Enforcer572005
09-17-2005, 12:26 AM
well thats just great....i cant get the demo to run. I get this goofy window that says "this is not a win32 application". Whats up wiht that? I know you probably have no idea on that James, but maybe someone will.

I also couldnt play the wow demo, because i couldnt figure out how to get to install. All i got was a large intro screen that said to click "continue", but alas there was no continue on there....nothing. Did I just leave somethng out, or what? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I like the review James, looks interesting. i just wish i could fly the thing. IF anyone has any insight...thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

FlatSpinMan
09-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Downloading the demos now. Looks promising, thanks for the tip.Enforcer, I'll see if I can get it to run.

Enforcer572005
09-17-2005, 07:18 PM
thanks, as id like to take a look. My God, that many skins? even a bunch in hte demos. Gotta see this. there was no next button or anything i could click in the wow demo. I really wanna see the return of honor thingy though......

FlatSpinMan
09-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey enforcer,
I have installed both on my pc and they run fine. WoW has amazibng base layouts and the skins adre superb. It installed fine but i forgot how to do it so am installing again. I didn't do anything special I think. Hang on and I'll let you know.

FlatSpinMan
09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
WOW installs easily on my PC. The only things that could possibly stop you were having to click "I accept' on the terms and conditions, or else manually selecting the correct install path for FB but having played (part of)your campaign I don't imagine those bothered you. I got no error messages at all. I'll try Rebirth of Honour now.

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I liked the Pacific skins... some of them are exceptional especially zero/rufe skins. Only thing I did not liked are ww1 style crosses on German tails.

One must admit, there is really bunch of skins in demos. Very nice missions.

Definitely worth to download, I will try to get myself full version asap. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FlatSpinMan
09-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Just did Rebirth of Honour again and it installed even more simply, requiring just a quick browse to find the proper path and then clicking Unzip. Not sure what the problem is, sorry, buddy. Hope you can gte it working though as for a demo it seems pretty extensive.
Anyway, back to the mill, got to stop the Nazi menace at the gates of Moscow.

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Enforcer I think you have a badly downloaded file... sounds like that to me. I had zero problems in install.

Enforcer572005
09-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Roger that guys....Ill dnld again. Still stuck wiht this lousy dail up in the stix (crickets chirping in background as Bird Brain says).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Try some download managers, like GetRight (shareware, will work for 30 days I think) or something... that will ensure that your download will be ok.

Enforcer572005
09-19-2005, 06:03 PM
ok, it worked this time. kinda neat stuff in the 109 cmpn. could do w/o the crosses on the tails, but those guys have to put up with censorship laws forbidding swastikas-and we though we had it tough with all the PC cr@p. How any1 gonna know about such stuff if nobody sees it?

Some very well done misns and environments. nice skins. wow.

Low_Flyer_MkII
09-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Agree with the comments about the iron crosses on the tails. And I like the Russian ace skin so much I use it in QMB missions. Obvious that a lot of work has gone into this.

wayno7777
09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Thx for the link and update, James!....

Enforcer572005
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
ok, now i just dnloaded the wow (pacific cmpn)demo, and i still cant find a "next" box on it anywhere when prompted. it says its a 19.5 mb dnld, but my dnld window says its cmplete after 18.4mb.

Im wondereing if that is whats causing this, and why would it think its done when its not. the screen i get says click next, but is basically empty except for some aircraft art on the left. it took several hrs to dnld on dial up, so i wonder if that has anythhing to do with it.

sooner or later they gotta get DSL here on gilligans mtn.

TAGERT.
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Well.. re-fried beans are good.. I guess it works for honor too?

plumps_
09-20-2005, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
ok, it worked this time. kinda neat stuff in the 109 cmpn. could do w/o the crosses on the tails, but those guys have to put up with censorship laws forbidding swastikas-and we though we had it tough with all the PC cr@p. How any1 gonna know about such stuff if nobody sees it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Censorship is not the reason why those crosses are on the tails. ROH is a non-historical campaign where Hitler gets killed in 1942 and the war goes on without swastikas.

Explore the Pluswave website to find out more.

Chuck_Older
09-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks, James

That looks very interesting indeed. I may have to buy all of that. I'm impressed with the screenshots I've seen in my breif look at the website.

~edit:

read each campaign section carefully; some of the descriptions are contradictive. Wings over Jungles is not a Navy campaign, it's USAAC/USAAF for example

-HH-Quazi
09-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Yea, I am going to order RoH myself. I flew the demo and was impressed. The only kicker for me is that RoH, WoW and the ohter one are all ofline campaigns. This is the main reason I went ahead and ordered Case Blue, TLD and Banzai. These add-ons not only have many offline campaigns, but they also have many online coop mission as well as many single player missions that can be made to fly coop style. I haven't been known to fly offline campaigns over the last couple of years. But here lately, I have been venturing back to them.

For those interested, Case Blue, TLD and Banzai are super add-ons also. They are especially great for those of you in squadrons and provide many, many new coop missions to fly with your m8s.

I'm heading over to the RoH website to place my order now.

jamesdietz
09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
I thought Banzai had some big install problems that had, as yet , to be completely worked out....

Xiolablu3
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
James, do you play online?