PDA

View Full Version : Haybusa with quite a bite

Poltavapoltava
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I am working on a campaign featuring Sentai 64 in Burma, early 1943 (during the first Chindit operations). And as we all know the Sentai 64 used the Ki-43 Hayabusa, a very nimble airplane, but lacking in punch having (at worst) two small-calibre MG's or (at best) two 12.5mm MG's. I am using the Ki-43 II, and flying against the Hurricane II I've repetedly scored some spectacular sucesses: several times the wings of the Hurricane has been ripped CLEAN OFF just by a couple of hits.

Of course very gratifying to the Hayabusa pilot, but really, can this be true to life? Or is it just a fluke? Notice that I'm NOT using Realistic Gunnery: is this the whole explanation?

Poltavapoltava
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I am working on a campaign featuring Sentai 64 in Burma, early 1943 (during the first Chindit operations). And as we all know the Sentai 64 used the Ki-43 Hayabusa, a very nimble airplane, but lacking in punch having (at worst) two small-calibre MG's or (at best) two 12.5mm MG's. I am using the Ki-43 II, and flying against the Hurricane II I've repetedly scored some spectacular sucesses: several times the wings of the Hurricane has been ripped CLEAN OFF just by a couple of hits.

Of course very gratifying to the Hayabusa pilot, but really, can this be true to life? Or is it just a fluke? Notice that I'm NOT using Realistic Gunnery: is this the whole explanation?

Klemm.co
05-08-2007, 02:38 AM
50's FTW!
But no, seriously, with only two of them hitting a wing with a few shots it will not rip off unless some explosive ammunition is set off, of which the Hurri has none AFAIK.
But you do know that with realistic gunnery switched off your bullets make three times the damage of normal bullets?
The 50's in this game have some destroying effect, apart from the piercing effect which is badly represented in this game. Multiply that times three and you will get the results you do.

tigertalon
05-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Heavy machineguns in PF have very high armour-piercing and structual damage inflicting ability (apart from Italian Breda SAFAT - they are nearly useless unless at point blank range) - probably even too high. If you concentrate your .50cal fire of twin nose mounted guns on an unaware target, aiming for a wing, you can take it off with relative ease almost any plane but the strongest, like B17 or Me323.

Again, HMGs lack incendiary effect they had IRL.

Rammjaeger
05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poltavapoltava:
I am working on a campaign featuring Sentai 64 in Burma, early 1943 (during the first Chindit operations). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far I haven't come across any Hayabusa campaigns; finally being able to play one would be excellent!

VW-IceFire
05-08-2007, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poltavapoltava:

Of course very gratifying to the Hayabusa pilot, but really, can this be true to life? Or is it just a fluke? Notice that I'm NOT using Realistic Gunnery: is this the whole explanation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you're not using realistic gunnery then all bets are off. Stuff will far apart with shocking ease without realistic gunnery on. I find its pretty hard to dewing a Spitfire or Hurricane from a Ki-43-II in the online Burma maps I've played. Its a really tough battle actually...usually I end up aiming for the engine as that will give you a reliable kill...getting wings to fall off is harder. Much harder.

Deadmeat313
05-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Heh, with realistic gunnery your guns do something like triple max-damage.

A friend of mine used to play with that on religiously, until I shamed him into taking the plunge with proper gun stats. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

With just machineguns it can take a while to down a hurricane, unless you kill the pilot.

T.

Poltavapoltava
05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Ah, that is probably the explanation. I'm not on Realistic Gunnery... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

DKoor
05-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Set your nose gun convergence low..... I set mine to 150m max. That way I'm punching almost in the same spot with the Hayabusa .50s.

But what a nice plane!

In my top 5 favs of all time!

stalkervision
05-24-2007, 05:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hayabusa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"song of the Hayabusa"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXrmt1cbPk