PDA

View Full Version : Great Game! - First Impressions

JonHal
10-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, I've paid my money and now have Pacific Fighters. Let me just say as new to the series but a fan of Pacific Theatre I am impressed with this game. I've been playing Flight Sims since Lucas Arts Battlehawks: 1942 (anyone remember that game?) I'm also an avid model and ship builder for that historical period.
First off I want to say thanks to the Pacific fighters Team. Their passion in the game is evident. I love all the planes. It's a very nice selection that I'm sure will be fleshed out by the community and expansion packs.

Graphics - Wow.. My Wildcat has never looked better. I love the plane detail. I love the Damage effects and I love the ships.. let me say that again. I love the ships. Beautiful.

Flight Model - Very good. I will need to play a lot more but the flight model seems pretty good. I'm impressed by the feel of the plane. Even the way it jumps when getting pounded by the enemy.

Historical Accuracy - Well, here I've got to speak up. As a student of this period I noticed several glaring errors even in the first intro Movie. The Model of the Lexington is obviously an amalgamation of several time periods. As the narrow bow, and Big "LEX" on the aft deck is a pre-war artifact. No Yorktown class Carriers! I'm disapointed. It's hard to do Midway accurately without Yorktown Class CVs, since they were the only USN carriers there. I realize that building these models can be a massive undertaking but still the Yorktowns missing is a big thing. So too are the Hiryu, Soryu, Kaga. Would like to see those too.

Plane Selection - I'm not going to complain about the lack of Flyable Torpedo planes. It's been talked and talked about on this board. But I find the lack of the TBD Devastator (even as just targets) to be a major ommission. Again we can't recreate a major portion of Midway or Coral Sea with the Devasators. I LOVE the fact we get the f4f-3 and f4f-4! Nice touch guys.

Overall I'm very impressed and am looking forward to getting some more stick time!

Jon

ArjenKuifje
10-22-2004, 04:33 PM
'more stick time!' that's a nice expression.
I've got PF, been flying a Seafire for now, but it's great.
Just keep an eye on the forum, check for downloadable missions. Some folks 'round here a surely going to create exciting missions t and campaigns (www.netwings.org (http://www.netwings.org)), future patches/addons might even deliver new planes... just wait and see.
For now, enjoy... and if you do like PF, why not get Forgotten Battles? Just as the title implies, it could well be an eye-opener for you...
(When I got FB, I just started a campaign, got to fly a plane which I identified as a Buffalo, as I know the Dutch flew it, never new the Finnish used it too...!)
Surprise!

No601_prangster
10-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Wow I love this game. I've just spent the whole evening doing circuits in different planes. I wasn't expecting carrier landings to be so fun!

The carriers are beautifully modelled and so are the new aircraft. Well done Oleg, Luthier and the modellers and everyone involved. This has got to be the best flight sim ever.

Tater-SW-
10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
FWIW, they've said Yorktown is in the works, along with a few other IJN ships, USN BBs, etc. Dunno about seeing the TBD as AI, I wouldn't doubt it is on the to do list.

tater

BUckaroo13
10-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I will probably go back and pick up the expansions for IL-2. Sounds like a lot of good WW2 goodness in there. But in the meantime I'll be happy with this amazing game.
One of the cool things about these flight sim communities is that everyone seems to be involved and contributed to make the game better. I'm looking forward to what everyone produces!

Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArjenKuifje:
'more stick time!' that's a nice expression.
I've got PF, been flying a Seafire for now, but it's great.
Just keep an eye on the forum, check for downloadable missions. Some folks 'round here a surely going to create exciting missions t and campaigns (http://www.netwings.org), future patches/addons might even deliver new planes... just wait and see.
For now, enjoy... and if you do like PF, why not get Forgotten Battles? Just as the title implies, it could well be an eye-opener for you...
(When I got FB, I just started a campaign, got to fly a plane which I identified as a Buffalo, as I know the Dutch flew it, never new the Finnish used it too...!)
Surprise! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>